• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is oil and natural gas renewable?

almifkhar

i was recently told that oil and natural gas is renewable, and that the "peek oil" concept is a scam. is this true or is this a lie? opinions are fine but i would like sited information if possible. thanks

Flappycat

almifkhar said:
i was recently told that oil and natural gas is renewable, and that the "peek oil" concept is a scam. is this true or is this a lie? opinions are fine but i would like sited information if possible. thanks
Oil is self-renewing, but it cannot renew at the rate at which we are using it. Don't let the hippies bother you too much, though. They have a point, but we're progressing nicely in finding ways to replace it. Even presently, it would be quite possible for us to live without oil. For the moment, however, oil is just cheaper. When hydrogen-powered engines have reached a level of performance, efficiency, and cheapness of make to make them more attractive to the average consumer than dinosaur-mobiles, they'll become more popular. When thermal and other types of power become cheaper and more reliable than dino-fuels, this is what will power our homes. This is just how it works. If you want to do something to help all of that along, your best bet is to design a hydro engine that out-performs the best dino-motor on the market and sell its babies off for pennies on the dollar. The world would beat a path to your door.

The Black Whirlwind

bio-diesel can be quickly renewed, it's from plants and vegetable oil and such. I don't know about the rest. We better get more renewable sources of energy like hydrogen for our gas-guzzlers soon, or we'll be in a fore a real doozy.

Nehustan

I have often thought about renewable energy production, and in fact have discussed such questions of Physics and by extension molecular chemistry with UK government scientists over the years, sometimes over supper. Recently there has re-emerged the debate of Atomic/Nuclear power production as a replacement for fossil fuels. This is causing quite a fuss in the UK, but it will never happen. I happen to have seen an 'eyes only' document prepared by a military scientist from some ten years ago, which proposed a completely green, renewable, potentially unlimited, and cheap form of power production. Given that it is now a decade old the technology proposed should be well past the theoretical, and I will not be suprised by the fact that by the time the new atomic/nuclear power stations are ready to be built, that they will in fact use this new technology. Smaller versions of the 'generator' would be suitable for vehicles, and the idea of 'tweeking' the new airliner engines to produce ozone as a by product was also part of the prepared report.

:tsk:​

Fluffy

A fool
Oil is self-renewing, but it cannot renew at the rate at which we are using it. Don't let the hippies bother you too much, though. They have a point, but we're progressing nicely in finding ways to replace it. Even presently, it would be quite possible for us to live without oil. For the moment, however, oil is just cheaper. When hydrogen-powered engines have reached a level of performance, efficiency, and cheapness of make to make them more attractive to the average consumer than dinosaur-mobiles, they'll become more popular. When thermal and other types of power become cheaper and more reliable than dino-fuels, this is what will power our homes. This is just how it works. If you want to do something to help all of that along, your best bet is to design a hydro engine that out-performs the best dino-motor on the market and sell its babies off for pennies on the dollar. The world would beat a path to your door.
I was under the impression that oil was necessary for the production of plastics. What is the alternative to this?

Pah

Uber all member
Oil, natural gas and coal, are termed fossiil fuels. Flappcat said
Oil is self-renewing, but it cannot renew at the rate at which we are using it.
and that's correct. Renewal takes so long it is not an answer.

Biodiesel fuel is renewable but until oil becomes more expensive that it is now, biodeisel will not be the answer due to its production costs.

The problem, as with any alternative fuel, is the committent to build the entire superstructure (the fleets, the distibution of fuels and the production of fuels) There doesn't seem to be a profit motive for those companies yet.

FFH

Veteran Member
There is a modern day prophet that claims that there will be a new source of fuel, which will be obtained from decomposing material in the earth. Mainly from decomposing landfills. Fuel for cars will be obtained this way in the very near future.

Go to www.kimclement.com and click on prophecies and look for it. He calls it the big "E" . He does not know what this new source of fuel will be called. He only know the first letter of the name of this new fuel. My guess would be Ecogas or Envirogas. Just a guess.

I think that the BP (Beyond Petroleum) company, that I see advertised, may be on the cutting edge of this new fuel, and are not saying anything yet.

The prediction Kim Clement makes is that because of this new source of fuel, we will no longer be dependent of foreign oil.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Fluffy said:
I was under the impression that oil was necessary for the production of plastics. What is the alternative to this?
Plant based plastics. Henry Ford built a car umpteen years ago constructed almost entirely of plant based plastics.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
lady_lazarus said:
Plant based plastics. Henry Ford built a car umpteen years ago constructed almost entirely of plant based plastics.
As far as I remember there is nothing in oil that cant be obtained another way.
Certainly all plastics cold be made with out oil, It would be less convienient and cost a lot more.

Terry___________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.