• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is My Prose Any Good?

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
Sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, but I thought you all wouldn't really mind prose going alongside poetry. Anyway, thanks to anybody who gives their opinion of this. Both praise and critique are encouraged!

"The butchered dog painted onto the paper reminds me of myself. Each of the pieces of its body, displayed on a different part of the folded material, remind me of a piece of myself. I see its brown, ragged head first, its bloody teeth snarling at me through the painting.

When I see the head, I think of my depraved consciousness, an oxygen-starved victim of both my cell and malnutrition. The blood on its teeth remind me of my struggle to find sustenance for my mind in the empty cell. But, as the dogs head is separated from its digestive track, my mind is cut off from my ability to feed it. No matter how much we bite and swallow, neither of us shall be filled.

I flip the paper over, and I see the dog's maimed rear. The gouges that fill the rear remind me of the wounds in my own body, a result of everything from nails to whips to chairs, all used forcefully and remorselessly. When I notice that the rear is hopelessly emaciated, it remind me of the skin pulled tight over my own bones, pale and colorless, excepting the red wounds and brown scabs.

I unfold the paper. Pictures of a bloody ear, leg, tail, and an eye decorate the inside. The ear and eye are beside each other. Blood leaks from the severed ear and reaches the pearl surface of the eye, covering it from the back to the milky pupil. The ear and eye remind me of two things: my own ear and eye, and the images and sounds that litter my weakened memory.

My left ear was ripped in a recent beating, the torn, bloody flesh hanging loosely to my head. My left eye was blinded long ago, stabbed by a guard's rusty pocket knife. The blood from one never got to mingle with the blood of the other as the dog's did, however.

As for the memories, they are only fragments. If I close my eye and focus, I can perceive faint images. The image of a field, littered with hazy pictures of some sort of animal, come to me first. Soon, I can hear the wind rustling the grass, and the calls of some creature in the distance. Eventually, I start to hear the voice of a man behind me.

I turn and look at the man. He is tall and his clothes are plain, but his face is inconsistent. Sometimes he is bearded, old, and scarred. Other times, he has the face of a boy with milky skin and pale, blue eyes. Sometimes he has the face of a dog.

The man leads me across the field. I notice that my feet are bear, and his are too. As I follow him, the image of a house forms in the distance. It is wooden and as plain as the man's clothes. As I near the house, it blocks out the sun, and I can clearly see a porch.

On the porch sits a woman. Her face is not only consistent, but beautiful. Her long brown hair flows past her shoulders, and her brown eyes focus on me. She calls for me, and her voice soothes me. When me and the man approach, she leads us to the door.

I can hear the door of my cell open. I open my eye and the memory ceases. In the door stands a man, taller than the man in my memory. He is in uniform, and in his hands is a steel rod. He grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me from my cell. I have neither the will nor the strength to resist. As he leads me through the door, I try to remember the face of the woman from my memory, but I can picture nothing."

whirlingmerc

Sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, but I thought you all wouldn't really mind prose going alongside poetry. Anyway, thanks to anybody who gives their opinion of this. Both praise and critique are encouraged!

"The butchered dog painted onto the paper reminds me of myself. Each of the pieces of its body, displayed on a different part of the folded material, remind me of a piece of myself. I see its brown, ragged head first, its bloody teeth snarling at me through the painting.

When I see the head, I think of my depraved consciousness, an oxygen-starved victim of both my cell and malnutrition. The blood on its teeth remind me of my struggle to find sustenance for my mind in the empty cell. But, as the dogs head is separated from its digestive track, my mind is cut off from my ability to feed it. No matter how much we bite and swallow, neither of us shall be filled.

I flip the paper over, and I see the dog's maimed rear. The gouges that fill the rear remind me of the wounds in my own body, a result of everything from nails to whips to chairs, all used forcefully and remorselessly. When I notice that the rear is hopelessly emaciated, it remind me of the skin pulled tight over my own bones, pale and colorless, excepting the red wounds and brown scabs.

I unfold the paper. Pictures of a bloody ear, leg, tail, and an eye decorate the inside. The ear and eye are beside each other. Blood leaks from the severed ear and reaches the pearl surface of the eye, covering it from the back to the milky pupil. The ear and eye remind me of two things: my own ear and eye, and the images and sounds that litter my weakened memory.

My left ear was ripped in a recent beating, the torn, bloody flesh hanging loosely to my head. My left eye was blinded long ago, stabbed by a guard's rusty pocket knife. The blood from one never got to mingle with the blood of the other as the dog's did, however.

As for the memories, they are only fragments. If I close my eye and focus, I can perceive faint images. The image of a field, littered with hazy pictures of some sort of animal, come to me first. Soon, I can hear the wind rustling the grass, and the calls of some creature in the distance. Eventually, I start to hear the voice of a man behind me.

I turn and look at the man. He is tall and his clothes are plain, but his face is inconsistent. Sometimes he is bearded, old, and scarred. Other times, he has the face of a boy with milky skin and pale, blue eyes. Sometimes he has the face of a dog.

The man leads me across the field. I notice that my feet are bear, and his are too. As I follow him, the image of a house forms in the distance. It is wooden and as plain as the man's clothes. As I near the house, it blocks out the sun, and I can clearly see a porch.

On the porch sits a woman. Her face is not only consistent, but beautiful. Her long brown hair flows past her shoulders, and her brown eyes focus on me. She calls for me, and her voice soothes me. When me and the man approach, she leads us to the door.

I can hear the door of my cell open. I open my eye and the memory ceases. In the door stands a man, taller than the man in my memory. He is in uniform, and in his hands is a steel rod. He grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me from my cell. I have neither the will nor the strength to resist. As he leads me through the door, I try to remember the face of the woman from my memory, but I can picture nothing."

I'm not sure what it means.

Off hand it might start too rough and a better lead in might be good. Where did the papers come from. A guard handed them and walked away laughing as my numb eyes looked over the pictures...?

Also early on there was a statement that 'it reminded me of me' and I thought you were going to keep . It might have been more meaningful and interesting if you kept reflecting on yourself sometimes thru out

Maybe add some sounds? smells? tactile feelings?

Maybe see a prison dog and then trying to remember something about pieces of a dog at the end but could not remember why.

Last edited:

MikeDwight

As I was going up the stair / I met a man who wasn't there. / He wasn't there again today / I wish, I wish he'd go away. Redrum

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
Thank you for your response, @whirlingmerc!

To be honest, it reminds me of how hasty I am, and how little attention I can give to making sure my work makes complete sense. When I was first moved to write this by some sudden inspiration, I had little idea of what I was actually going to do. It started with the disparate images of the dog in my imagination, and then it morphed into the story of some anonymous prisoner.

You are very right when you say that I need to explain why the painting was in the cell in the first place, among other things. I also think some extra descriptions of sound, smells, and tactile sensations would be nice, as you said. I definitely think the story should be more sensible and consistent, as well.

Skwim

Veteran Member

MY SUGGESTIONS.
Some are quite minor, so look carefully.

words in blue don't make sense.

"The butchered dog that was painted onto the paper reminds me of myself. Each piece of its body displayed on a different part of the folded material. I see its brown, ragged head first. Its bloody teeth snarling at me through the painting.

When I see the head I think of my depraved consciousness, an oxygen-starved victim of both my cell and malnutrition [?]. The blood on its teeth reminds me of my struggle to find sustenance for my mind in the empty cell [?]. But as the dog's head is separated from its digestive track my mind is cut off from my ability to feed it. No matter how much we bite and swallow neither of us shall be filled.

I flip the paper over and I see the dog's maimed rear. The gouges that fill the rear remind me of the wounds in my own body, a result of everything from nails to whips to chairs, all used forcefully and remorselessly. When I notice the rear is hopelessly emaciated it reminds me of the skin pulled tight over my own bones; pale and colorless, excepting for the red wounds and brown scabs.

My left ear was ripped in a recent beating, the torn, bloody flesh hanging loosely from my head. My left eye was blinded long ago, stabbed by a guard's rusty pocket knife. However, the blood from one never got to mingle with the blood of the other as the dog's did.

As for the memories, they are only fragments. If I close my eye and focus I can perceive faint images of a field littered with hazy pictures of some sort of animal. Soon I can hear the wind rustling the grass, and the calls of some creature in the distance. Eventually I start to hear the voice of a man behind me.

The man leads me across the field and I notice our feet are bare. As I follow him the image of a house forms in the distance. It is wooden and as plain as the man's clothes. As I near the house, it blocks out the sun, and I can better see its porch.

On it sits a woman. Her face is not only unchanging, but beautiful. Her long brown hair flows past her shoulders, and her brown eyes focus on me. She calls to me, her voice friendly and soothing. When we approach, she leads us to the door.

I hear the door of my cell open. I open my eye and the memory ceases. In the door stands a man, taller than the man in my memory. He is in uniform and in his hand is a steel rod. He grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me from my cell. I have neither the will nor the strength to resist. As he leads me through the door I try to remember the face of the woman from my memory, but picture nothing."

Last edited:

MikeDwight

images
Not that I can tell, sir. You're good to go, pass the dog carcass.

whirlingmerc

Thank you for your response, @whirlingmerc!

To be honest, it reminds me of how hasty I am, and how little attention I can give to making sure my work makes complete sense. When I was first moved to write this by some sudden inspiration, I had little idea of what I was actually going to do. It started with the disparate images of the dog in my imagination, and then it morphed into the story of some anonymous prisoner.

You are very right when you say that I need to explain why the painting was in the cell in the first place, among other things. I also think some extra descriptions of sound, smells, and tactile sensations would be nice, as you said. I definitely think the story should be more sensible and consistent, as well.

Maybe end by seeing a guard dog and watching it lurch on its leash toward somone and tie it back to the memory of the painting, maybe?