• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Moses God?

12jtartar

Premium Member
John D Brey,
There is nothing in the Holy Scriptures that would lead any reasonable person to believe that Moses was God the Almighty.
In the early days of the Israelites, the leaders, rulers, the ones put in charge, were called gods, Psalms 82:1-7. This is what Jesus was speaking about at John 10:32-36. Their God, Jehovah, made it very clear in the Ten Commandments, that the Jews were to only worship there ONE God, YHWH, in English Jehovah, Exodus 20:2-5, Deuteronomy 5:6-9. The entire 13th chapter of Deuteronomy makes it very clear that only their God should they worship, because God said that He is a jealous God.
The Bible tells us that Moses sinned against God at Meribah. God then would not allow Moses to cross into the promised land, but would die on the mountain overlooking the promised land, Numbers 20:11-13, Deuteronomy 34:1-6. Does that seem like Moses being God???

John D. Brey

John D Brey,
There is nothing in the Holy Scriptures that would lead any reasonable person to believe that Moses was God the Almighty.
In the early days of the Israelites, the leaders, rulers, the ones put in charge, were called gods, Psalms 82:1-7. This is what Jesus was speaking about at John 10:32-36. Their God, Jehovah, made it very clear in the Ten Commandments, that the Jews were to only worship there ONE God, YHWH, in English Jehovah, Exodus 20:2-5, Deuteronomy 5:6-9. The entire 13th chapter of Deuteronomy makes it very clear that only their God should they worship, because God said that He is a jealous God.
The Bible tells us that Moses sinned against God at Meribah. God then would not allow Moses to cross into the promised land, but would die on the mountain overlooking the promised land, Numbers 20:11-13, Deuteronomy 34:1-6. Does that seem like Moses being God???

. . . I thought the earlier messages in the thread I'd made it clear that I'm not suggesting that Moses is actually God, but that he is made to be a symbol of the Father in a symbolic
John D Brey,

. . . In earlier messages in the thread I tried to make it clear that I'm speaking of Moses as emblematic of the Father. His rod, Nehushtan, represents the Son, and the Holy Spirit is the Arm of the Lord that connects the two. This comes from passages in Isaiah.

John

Ben Avraham

John D Brey,

Most definitely, the question is a joke. Perhaps to marguise, I mean to upset a Jew who happens to pass by and read it.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Or holding Nehushtan aloft as Moses had to do for EVERY miracle performed is a sign of Y'shua's crucifixion. Nehushtan--staff of a dead tree. Y'shua--life from crucifixion on a dead tree.

Aaron and Joshua help Moses hold up his arms as we pass through the Sea--three-in-One picture of Ha Shem.

Ben Avraham

Or holding Nehushtan aloft as Moses had to do for EVERY miracle performed is a sign of Y'shua's crucifixion. Nehushtan--staff of a dead tree. Y'shua--life from crucifixion on a dead tree.

Aaron and Joshua help Moses hold up his arms as we pass through the Sea--three-in-One picture of Ha Shem.

You speak about the crucifixion of Jesus as if he was the only Jew crucified by the Romans. According to Josephus in his book "Wars of the Jews", the Romans crucified thousands of Jews only in the First Century. I think that the problem with the others is that they didn't have a Paul to make of each one of them a Messiah.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You speak about the crucifixion of Jesus as if he was the only Jew crucified by the Romans. According to Josephus in his book "Wars of the Jews", the Romans crucified thousands of Jews only in the First Century. I think that the problem with the others is that they didn't have a Paul to make of each one of them a Messiah.

So you accept my word picture of the staff of Moses as representative of the cross of a Jewish martyr? That's a great start. Because the Hebrew scriptures are FILLED with this picture!

Ben Avraham

So you accept my word picture of the staff of Moses as representative of the cross of a Jewish martyr? That's a great start. Because the Hebrew scriptures are FILLED with this picture!

No, because the blazing serpent lifted up on a pole by command of Moses was not a prophecy but a recollection of a past event akin to the captivity of the Israelites in Egypt. If it was a prophecy, yes, it could be taken as a reference to all the Jews crucified by the Romans in the First Century. But that was not the case.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
No, because the blazing serpent lifted up on a pole by command of Moses was not a prophecy but a recollection of a past event akin to the captivity of the Israelites in Egypt. If it was a prophecy, yes, it could be taken as a reference to all the Jews crucified by the Romans in the First Century. But that was not the case.

Ben, it's hard for me sometimes to "chat" with you because you don't closely read what I write. I said FILLED. Sit down for a minute and count people in the Hebrew scriptures who leaned on a staff, were shepherds and did wonders touching staves, crosses and, um, two sticks welded together by God!

Further the serpent on a pole DOES look back to Genesis 3, "He [Ha-Satan] will snap at the manchild's heels, but He will crush the serpent's head." Jesus on the cross. Jesus was crucified on Golgotha, "skull hill", the prophecy visually fulfilled.

Ben Avraham

Ben, it's hard for me sometimes to "chat" with you because you don't closely read what I write. I said FILLED. Sit down for a minute and count people in the Hebrew scriptures who leaned on a staff, were shepherds and did wonders touching staves, crosses and, um, two sticks welded together by God!

Further the serpent on a pole DOES look back to Genesis 3, "He [Ha-Satan] will snap at the manchild's heels, but He will crush the serpent's head." Jesus on the cross. Jesus was crucified on Golgotha, "skull hill", the prophecy visually fulfilled.

Not only Jesus was crucified on Golgotha. If you read "The Wars of the Jews" by Josephus, thousands of Jews were
crucified in the same way in the First Century and, the Romans used the same method with which they crucified Jesus. Why do you have to focus on Jesus as if he was the only one? Besides, there is no Satan to be spoken of as a being. Satan is only a concept to illustrated the evil inclination in man; unless you are talking allegorically or in a parable or dreamed with a personified concept.

whirlingmerc

A type is a type is a type not the reality...
Moses is like God in some way and Aaron his mouthpiece
It's a comparison meant to encourage Moses

Moses is not God

Ben Avraham

A type is a type is a type not the reality...
Moses is like God in some way and Aaron his mouthpiece
It's a comparison meant to encourage Moses

Moses is not God

Very good! I totally agree with you. Only that, instead of saying "Moses is not God", the true way would be to say that Moses WAS not God. Today he is dead. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)

whirlingmerc

Very good! I totally agree with you. Only that, instead of saying "Moses is not God", the true way would be to say that Moses WAS not God. Today he is dead. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)

Clearly you don't believe in a resurrection. As Jesus pointed out God told Moses he IS the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... not WAS... they were not in a sense dead and gone

Ben Avraham

Clearly you don't believe in a resurrection. As Jesus pointed out God told Moses he IS the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... not WAS... they were not in a sense dead and gone

The God-of-Abraham-Isaac-and-Jacob is one of the titles of HaShem. Nothing to do with being the God of the dead. HaShem is not the God of the dead but of the living. We do pay homage to the memory of our Forefathers for their relation to the great events of Israel. But they are dead and there is nothing to expect from the dead. If you read Psalm 49:12,20, the grave is the eternal home of the dead. It means there is no resurrection.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The God-of-Abraham-Isaac-and-Jacob is one of the titles of HaShem. Nothing to do with being the God of the dead. HaShem is not the God of the dead but of the living. We do pay homage to the memory of our Forefathers for their relation to the great events of Israel. But they are dead and there is nothing to expect from the dead. If you read Psalm 49:12,20, the grave is the eternal home of the dead. It means there is no resurrection.

Yet when God told Moses I AM the God of Avraham, the man had died four centuries before. Take God at His Word.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Not only Jesus was crucified on Golgotha. If you read "The Wars of the Jews" by Josephus, thousands of Jews were
crucified in the same way in the First Century and, the Romans used the same method with which they crucified Jesus. Why do you have to focus on Jesus as if he was the only one? Besides, there is no Satan to be spoken of as a being. Satan is only a concept to illustrated the evil inclination in man; unless you are talking allegorically or in a parable or dreamed with a personified concept.

How did you come to learn that the Hebrew scriptures are allegorical and not literal? Who taught you thus?

Ben Avraham

How did you come to learn that the Hebrew scriptures are allegorical and not literal? Who taught you thus?

I have a major degree on Philosophy of Education which helped me to distinguish what is allegorical in the Tanach from what is literal. Then the chapter on Logic and my readings of Baruch de Spinoza helped me to get in there.

Ben Avraham

Yet when God told Moses I AM the God of Avraham, the man had died four centuries before. Take God at His Word.

The God-of-Abraham-Isaac-and-Jacob had become one of the titles of HaShem. Therefore, it had nothing to do with the fact that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were long dead by the time of Moses. There was no living relation between God and the Patriarchs. HaShem was not a God of the dead but of the living.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I have a major degree on Philosophy of Education which helped me to distinguish what is allegorical in the Tanach from what is literal. Then the chapter on Logic and my readings of Baruch de Spinoza helped me to get in there.

Which elements of your learning proved to you conclusively that the Tanakh is allegory, not literal? I can have a philosophy that the Earth is flat, but it has been measured as round. I can have a philosophy that Tanakh is allegorical, but prophecies, history, archaeology and more verify its literal truth.

Perhaps you have some documents contemporary to the period de-mystifying Tanakh?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The God-of-Abraham-Isaac-and-Jacob had become one of the titles of HaShem. Therefore, it had nothing to do with the fact that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were long dead by the time of Moses. There was no living relation between God and the Patriarchs. HaShem was not a God of the dead but of the living.

Where you wrote "had become" I read "God said to Moses my title currently is".

Further, a careful study of Tanakh reveals that this name was first shared with Moses on Sinai--do you have contemporaneous documents or other evidence showing this name gradually "became"?