• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is lust a biological limit?

Ozzie

So, most of my relationships have been perfectly fine in an initial lust period. Seems like I have been blessed with this at least! Unfortunately, just as bread goes stale, so does a sexual partner with time on most occasions.

So the question is: is the time limit on procreation made possible by lust a biological imperative generating termination of unsuccessful unions in humans?

Thoughts?

Yerda

Veteran Member
If I understand what you've said, then I think it's a worthwhile question/suggestion. I'm not sure it is religious in nature. Was there a religious issue connected that you'd like to discuss?

Pariah

Let go
As the above poster mentioned, this does not seem religious in nature.

However, I don't believe I fully understand your question. For now, I would answer that no, a time limit for procreation does not exist, in reference to lust. This seems a bit complicated for Nature to create because it uses the human psyche which often can be muddled with alternate thoughts and conflicted feelings.

It is psychologically proven, however, that people are attracted sexually to people they find psychologically attractive. If you enjoy someone's company, personality, etc. in time, you're attraction for them will increase.

Please restate the question in simpler terms if this answer does not suffice.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying. Do you mean you lose attraction toward your mate over time?

Onan

I have been with the same wonderful woman since 1989 and she still drives me crazy(the good crazy)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I have been with the same wonderful woman since 1989 and she still drives me crazy(the good crazy)
Lucky you...mine's galloping back and forth between the good crazy and the :areyoucra kinda crazy.
Ozzie, are you saying that because lust wears out, that stops couples that aren't really compatable staying together?
Not enough coffee yet to formulate thought. See me in an hour.:yes:

Ozzie

If I understand what you've said, then I think it's a worthwhile question/suggestion. I'm not sure it is religious in nature. Was there a religious issue connected that you'd like to discuss?
OOPs! This was meant for the general debates section. Could a moderator please shift it. Thanks.

Ozzie

Lucky you...mine's galloping back and forth between the good crazy and the :areyoucra kinda crazy.
Ozzie, are you saying that because lust wears out, that stops couples that aren't really compatable staying together?
Not enough coffee yet to formulate thought. See me in an hour.:yes:
Oh yes!:yes:

Ozzie

As the above poster mentioned, this does not seem religious in nature.

However, I don't believe I fully understand your question. For now, I would answer that no, a time limit for procreation does not exist, in reference to lust. This seems a bit complicated for Nature to create because it uses the human psyche which often can be muddled with alternate thoughts and conflicted feelings.

It is psychologically proven, however, that people are attracted sexually to people they find psychologically attractive. If you enjoy someone's company, personality, etc. in time, you're attraction for them will increase.

Please restate the question in simpler terms if this answer does not suffice.
I think psychology has very little to do with sexual attraction.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think psychology has very little to do with sexual attraction.

I am in the midst of reading a book about the chemistry of elememts. In this book it states that nitrous oxide is emitted from the brain travelling to the male organ causing an erection. In other words lust proceeds from the mind. I have had some success with the Paraclete helping to keep me from lustful thoughts. My wife and I have been married fro 39 years and have agreed to not have sex. As far as I am concerned without the need for procreation, there is no need for sex. It does not appeared to have altered our relationship significantly.

Ciscokid

So, most of my relationships have been perfectly fine in an initial lust period. Seems like I have been blessed with this at least! Unfortunately, just as bread goes stale, so does a sexual partner with time on most occasions.

So the question is: is the time limit on procreation made possible by lust a biological imperative generating termination of unsuccessful unions in humans?

Thoughts?

Sounds like your relationships are fairly shallow at this point. Not knocking you, just an observation. I think there are many that would suggest the opposite to be true...that their relationship [even sexually speaking] gets better as time goes by.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy

Thoughts?

When I was a teenager I had so many crushes on boys. Then I realized that it was only lust. When I fell in love, I realize that lust grows weaker with time but love grows stronger with time. Of course, you can also lust the one you love. ;)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
When I was a teenager I had so many crushes on boys. Then I realized that it was only lust. When I fell in love, I realize that lust grows weaker with time but love grows stronger with time. Of course, you can also lust the one you love. ;)
Yeah, but I think the point he was making, was during that initial lust period you're more likely to gloss over things, or find that person more interesting or funny than you otherwise would,because you're looking through 'love goggles', so to speak. The person is great, not because they necessarily are, but because you have other motivations. You like them, because you 'like' them, as it were.
Because that wears off, you see the person in a more realistic light and incompatabilities come to the fore, so you're less likely to tie yourself to someone with whom you're largely incompatable, just because you think they've got a nice arse.;)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Yeah, but I think the point he was making, was during that initial lust period you're more likely to gloss over things, or find that person more interesting or funny than you otherwise would,because you're looking through 'love goggles', so to speak. The person is great, not because they necessarily are, but because you have other motivations. You like them, because you 'like' them, as it were.
Because that wears off, you see the person in a more realistic light and incompatabilities come to the fore, so you're less likely to tie yourself to someone with whom you're largely incompatable, just because you think they've got a nice arse.;)

I know :D I just meant that it's the opposite with love. :) Ahem ahem, I was researching a lot of love quotes for my wedding card recently and I came across this one:
"True love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." ~ Jason Jordan