• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Love Anything More than an Oxytocin Addiction?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Possibly. There are actually two types of love. The first is known as passionate love. The brain releases high amounts of norepinephrine, dopamine, and phenlethylamine. These chemicals produce the same effects as psychoactive drugs. Our brain cannot produce such high levels of these drugs so it only lasts months at most. The second type of love is compassionate love. This is long term and our brain releases endorphins. All of these chemicals can be very addictive obviously. The chemical you are talking about is released generally during orgasm. So it could be part of the reason sex is so addicting. Obviously there are other reasons. And this could theoretically help make a person believe they are in love.

I think you are generally correct, although I would dispute some details of what you say. Especially, I would dispute that oxytocin is released most often during orgasm. You are leaving out cuddling, stroking, breast feeding, massages, and so forth -- all of which release oxytocin. I will grant however that the release of oxytocin during orgasm is a powerful thing -- especially if you are a female with estrogen running through your veins. Estrogen multiplies the effects of oxytocin by a factor of 10.

Danmac

So is what most people call "love" anything more than an oxytocin addiction? Why or why not?

I would like to chime in and take another shot at it.First of all I think people confuse love and affection. I believe your point is that it is the good feeling generated by oxytocin levels that prompts people to love. Correct me if I am wrong. This probably doesn't have anything to do with what you are looking for, but affection and love are not the same thing. The effects of oxytocin levels have nothing to do with love, since it is two different subjects.

Midnight Pete

Every emotion we feel is associated with chemistry somehow. But that doesn't make them less real or significant.

Does the body originate emotions or does it manifest them?

Midnight Pete

Some varieties of love certainly look a lot like addictions.

People can become addicted to the feeling of falling in love, the initial bliss of a new romance. But when this initial glow subsides, they go looking for another, seeking to prolong this feeling as long as possible with as many new people as necessary.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
OK. I see everyone knows oxytocin can cause an addiction that many people will call love. And it only took 130 posts to decide that. See, that was painless!