• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong for religious people to listen to secular music?

Deidre

I listen to all types of music, but upon returning to faith, I wonder if it's wrong (for want of a better word) to listen to certain types of music, with lyrics that might be too worldly. Thing is, a lot of hip hop and dance music is really fun and has a great beat...so, it's hard to turn it off, sometimes. lol :blush:

If you are religious, do you think there is anything wrong with listening to secular hip hop music, or secular music in general?

Deidre

I grew up listening to dark, basically occultic type music. /not all lol,,/ It's a habit to find that sort of stuff, for me. Thusly, I have a pretty liberal basis of what I screen out.
I see, so you listen to secular music so long as it doesn't conflict with your beliefs. That's a great way to view it! I think too there are lots of secular genres and types of music that are uplifting and positive. And all the lyrics aren't swirling around debasing someone else, or using someone, or getting over on someone. Those types of songs ...I don't get how they become so popular. But, it could be the harmony/beat of them, because some are catchy! :D

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
I listen to all types of music, but upon returning to faith, I wonder if it's wrong (for want of a better word) to listen to certain types of music, with lyrics that might be too worldly. Thing is, a lot of hip hop and dance music is really fun and has a great beat...so, it's hard to turn it off, sometimes. lol :blush:

If you are religious, do you think there is anything wrong with listening to secular hip hop music, or secular music in general?
You mean like listening to metal or something?

Deidre

You mean like listening to metal or something?
Not necessarily, but songs that have lyrics that might lead someone away from their religious beliefs. Not everyone's religious beliefs are the same so however that plays out for the individual. I've never been into metal really, some songs maybe. But, I was thinking more along the lines of overly sexual lyrics and lyrics that sort of glamourize violence, you know?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I'm sincerely baffled? Are you worried that some music might entice you to sin? Or you don't want to be exposed to sinful ideas?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Think it depends on how much music influences you - stuff like the type of energy it gives you and how it may alter your mood. There is a lot I won't listen to personally. If it seems too trashy, ghetto, negative, etc. there isn't a good reason. A lot of people choose the wishful thinking option and see it as having zero influence on individuals and culture altogether.

Deidre

What do you mean by 'religious' people?
Meaning someone who subscribes to a certain set of non-secular beliefs, not necessarily relating to a deity. Or it can be someone who follows one of the Abrahamic faiths.

I'm sincerely baffled? Are you worried that some music might entice you to sin? Or you don't want to be exposed to sinful ideas?

It isn't that so much, as what we listen and watch, over time, whether we are cognizant of it or not...has a way of planting seeds, and then we might gravitate towards other areas that would counter our beliefs, involuntarily even. So might it be better to avoid that type of music? Idk.

Think it depends on how much music influences you - stuff like the type of energy it gives you and how it may alter your mood. There is a lot I won't listen to personally. If it seems too trashy, ghetto, negative, etc. there isn't a good reason. A lot of people choose the wishful thinking option and see it as having zero influence on individuals and culture altogether.
I love this response, and yes this was what I was aiming at when I posted the thread...this idea. Thanks Sees!

Chakra

Premium Member
In my tradition, religious music (mantras and such) are supposed to be contemplated upon, not "enjoyed" (you can enjoy the musical elements but that is not the intent". AFAIK, there is nothing against listening to "secular" music, but I personally do not find rap, pop, or other modern vocal styles entertaining.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I tend to agree with Tom Araya from Slayer:

"In an interview, Araya expressed his belief that "...Christ came and taught us about love, about doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another." When asked if he believed in God, he replied "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God."[15] Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel.... People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."[16]"

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Meaning someone who subscribes to a certain set of non-secular beliefs, not necessarily relating to a deity. Or it can be someone who follows one of the Abrahamic faiths.
Well, I fit in with the first definition: "someone who subscribes to a certain set of non-secular beliefs"
But certainly not the second one: "someone who follows one of the Abrahamic faiths"

Wouldn't it depend on the person's religious affiliation whether it was acceptable or not in regards to that religion's tenets?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
When I was a Christian I it was indicated that it was fine to listen to secular music. It just depends on what kind of music you want to invest your mind in.

Deidre

I tend to agree with Tom Araya from Slayer:

"In an interview, Araya expressed his belief that "...Christ came and taught us about love, about doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another." When asked if he believed in God, he replied "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God."[15] Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel.... People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."[16]"
I like that well enough. :)

Deidre

Well, I fit in with the first definition: "someone who subscribes to a certain set of non-secular beliefs"
But certainly not the second one: "someone who follows one of the Abrahamic faiths"

Wouldn't it depend on the person's religious affiliation whether it was acceptable or not in regards to that religion's tenets?

I suppose if it has the potential to lead one astray, but honestly...my faith is strong, and it (secular) music doesn't negate or diminish that.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I suppose if it has the potential to lead one astray, but honestly...my faith is strong, and it (secular) music doesn't negate or diminish that.
Certain kinds of music (malahi) are prohibited in orthodox Islam (an Abrahamic faith), whether a music is 'right' or 'wrong' is purely a subjective matter