• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Worth It?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Saving a life but creating more long term problems.

"Preterm birth interrupts normal brain development during a period of rapid growth and may increase lifelong susceptibility to psychiatric disorders. Adult survivors of preterm birth have been reported to have increased risks of depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and nonaffective psychosis."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
aving a life but creating more long term problems.
Hopefully this will fix that mentality:
That's how the Nazis saw it with their eugenics program. They sterilized and murdered because they believed they were preventing those long term problems.
400px-EuthanasiePropaganda.jpg

It's basically saying it cost 60000 Marks to the state to treat the man witha genetic disorder and keeo him alive and that's your money as well.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Hopefully this will fix that mentality:
That's how the Nazis saw it with their eugenics program. They sterilized and murdered because they believed they were preventing those long term problems.
400px-EuthanasiePropaganda.jpg

It's basically saying it cost 60000 Marks to the state to treat the man witha genetic disorder and keeo him alive and that's your money as well.

I understand that and I am not advocating eugenics. More curious about how we decide that the cost outweighs the benefit.

Little Dragon

Saving a life but creating more long term problems.

"Preterm birth interrupts normal brain development during a period of rapid growth and may increase lifelong susceptibility to psychiatric disorders. Adult survivors of preterm birth have been reported to have increased risks of depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and nonaffective psychosis."
May increase lifelong susceptibility. With which there can be treatments and managing strategies.

If human life can be saved, then it should be, if human illness can be cured and treated, than we learn how to better to do so.

My earliest memories of childhood, involve being left in a hospital ward while waiting for my mother, who was a receptionist at the hospital, to finish her shift. The ward I waited in was full of kids with Downes. The kindest and most loving kids I'd ever met. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am very defensive of those with undesirable genetic traits and/or birth defects. That any hint or whiff of eugenics, or anything like it, like transhumanism, gets my shields up and puts the brain on standby for impending conflict, the talons un sheath. :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I understand that and I am not advocating eugenics. More curious about how we decide that the cost outweighs the benefit.
I didn't think you was, but it's a very close relative of is it worth it.
We evolved to be social animals. Pardon my not remembering more, I heard it in one of my anthropology classes so you may be familiar, but it was said, by someone, to very roughly paraphrase, something that begins to mark us as Human apart from the others is bone setting, taking care of our infirm, and the sheer rarity of usually surviving a broken leg.

Little Dragon

Vile.
Such indifference to human life. Life they deemed undesirable according to their extreme ideological politics. Killing the most vulnerable the helpless. With impunity. As if their unscientific notions of superhuman supremacy justified any of it. Good job the Nazis got served, otherwise no Stephen Hawking for one notable example, and no Black Hole discoveries and no discovery of Hawking radiation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Vile.
Such indifference to human life. Life they deemed undesirable according to their extreme ideological politics. Killing the most vulnerable the helpless. With impunity. As if their unscientific notions of superhuman supremacy justified any of it. Good job the Nazis got served, otherwise no Stephen Hawking for one notable example, and no Black Hole discoveries and no discovery of Hawking radiation.
And not ti mention what really makes Hitler's defeat so epically sweet is one of the guys who beat him did it in a wheelchair.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think we are too short sighted as a species to know whether or not it is actually worth it. And by the time we realize it, we will already be accustomed to any consequences for good or ill.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So was my youngest, my wife and my father in law. Seems to be a hereditary trait. All three of them are short, under 5ft, unlike me and my boys, the youngest boy is 6ft something and he's still at school.

Mother's anxiety can cause premature delivery, which can cause the child to become anxiety prone. Cycle repeats

Little Dragon

I think we are too short sighted as a species to know whether or not it is actually worth it. And by the time we realize it, we will already be accustomed to any consequences for good or ill.
Probably. I for one, do not view life as ideal. What is what is, what we can do to alleviate suffering we should do, but if we are to act like Gods, with the power of life and death over others, then we had better be prepared to take responsibility for the consequences, unintended or otherwise. I would err on the side of compassion and life, everything has it's cost and unconsidered costs can be hidden, until payment is due.

Little Dragon

Mother's anxiety can cause premature delivery, which can cause the child to become anxiety prone. Cycle repeats
Possibly. Not in their case though, all born via C section, as I was. Although I wasnt premature, I was overdue in fact by 2 weeks, and had to be born via emergency C section.