• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time for Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains to draw closer together for the world's sake?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Now hear me out. I know we three have differences and what I'm saying is a huge thing in a sense. Based on my study of the three though I also see our similarities. I see the ideal of ahimsa and the overflowing compassion we cultivate for all forms of life. Our world today is greatly suffering and that is made worse by unfettered consumerism and individualism. I already do Buddhist missionary work because I believe what Buddhism has to tell the world is important, but this is important too. I am reminded lately of how in spite of differences, we Dharmic religions have much more in common. India is our spiritual homeland and the roots of our ideologies are common. I don't know if this will be a Hindu-Buddhist-Jain confederation or what, but I believe together we're strong. Peace to all my brothers and sisters in the Dharma as each of us approach and practice it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Buddhists and Jains have always been my brothers and sisters. There is little animosity already, despite a few philosophical differences. Each religion holds tolerance valuable,and it's easy to tolerate people so close in spirit.

I don't know what exactly OP has in mind in terms of actual action.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it would be a good show to the world if all four dharmic faiths formed an ecumenical union, a brotherhood of sorts not for theological reasons but for charity, fostering peace, the environment, goodwill and such. I admit I may sound naive.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Now hear me out. I know we three have differences and what I'm saying is a huge thing in a sense. Based on my study of the three though I also see our similarities. I see the ideal of ahimsa and the overflowing compassion we cultivate for all forms of life. Our world today is greatly suffering and that is made worse by unfettered consumerism and individualism. I already do Buddhist missionary work because I believe what Buddhism has to tell the world is important, but this is important too. I am reminded lately of how in spite of differences, we Dharmic religions have much more in common. India is our spiritual homeland and the roots of our ideologies are common. I don't know if this will be a Hindu-Buddhist-Jain confederation or what, but I believe together we're strong. Peace to all my brothers and sisters in the Dharma as each of us approach and practice it.
I have no objections. :)

Please feel free to post topics of interest in the general Dharmic DIR and we would have a lively and constructive discussion.

On this specific point, something like a global dharmic alliance to which religious organizations are affiliated to and participate in various regional and global interfaith and outreach events would be a nice idea.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Buddhists and Jains have always been my brothers and sisters. There is little animosity already, despite a few philosophical differences. Each religion holds tolerance valuable,and it's easy to tolerate people so close in spirit.

I don't know what exactly OP has in mind in terms of actual action.
Joint meditation and yoga retreats?

Satyamavejayanti

"Buddha Dharma,"

Namaste,

That is a great idea, we can start by being more supportive, understanding and respectful of each other on this forum, I think with the current situation in the world and specifically in the South Asian regions (the region where our Dharmah took root), it is a productive idea to protect and nurture mutual understanding and co-operation among our different Sanghas/Sampradayas ect.

Plus i think we should add Sikhs in the list as well, as it seems that Sikhi is becoming more Islamic leaning and elements within Sikhism are more and more inclined towards as "Abrahamic, Monotheistic", ideology.

It also seems to me that as the world of the "West", encroaches on the world of the "East", we (the "Dharmikas",) stand to loose much more and gain vary little. This is my observation at least in the context of India and Hinduism, but i assume that this "Clash of Civilizations", also has a affect on Buddhism, Jainism and even Sikh.

As all changes start from within, it is important to foster better understanding of each other from our individual effort first, as i think it was Gandhi who said, "be the change you want to see in the world".

Anyways, that is my opinion.

Dhanyavad

ajay0

'Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.' - .Ramana Maharshi

The greatest good you can do to the world is through your own Self-realization or enlightenment.

The only good is attentive awareness and the only evil is unconsciousness or habitual identification with the contents of the mind, leading to narrow identifications, missing of existential reality for psychological/conceptual reality, and equally proportionate suffering.

If a Hindu can help make a Buddhist or Jain or anyone else more aware and less unconscious, then he might be doing some service in this regard. And it is the enlightened sage who does that the best.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Isn't that what the coexist movement is all about?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'd leave the political part about consumerism and individualism out of it, but I'm all for waking people up.

edit to add: Individualism, individuality, and appreciation of particulars is very important to Jainism--even to the point that any philosophical statement must have conditional limitations on it to account for particulars.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
India is our spiritual homeland and the roots of our ideologies are common. I don't know if this will be a Hindu-Buddhist-Jain confederation or what, but I believe together we're strong. Peace to all my brothers and sisters in the Dharma as each of us approach and practice it.
I have never considered Jains and Buddhists far from Hinduism. I consider Buddha to be my Guru (have named my son as Amitabha in his honor), and I have the highest regard for Mahavira, considering him to be a true radical in religion - sort of a Che Guevara of religion. He practiced what he preached, whatever be the cost. However, if my Buddhist and Jain countrymen insist on being of different religions, then I have no option to bow to their wishes.
Do Hindu have retreats? I know the temple I go to so far has day retreats. Another I want to go has weekend. Open to anyone in respect to our practices and theology.
As you know, how a person would worship is a very individual affair in Hinduism. Yes, Hindus go to ashrams and retreats, if they like it. I would not even consider the option. My retreat will be alone, some place in mountains. :)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Do Hindu have retreats? I know the temple I go to so far has day retreats. Another I want to go has weekend. Open to anyone in respect to our practices and theology.

Yes Hindus have retreats, and group pilgrimages. It's within the smaller divisions, though, individual organisations. Most Hindus don't actually belong to any specific organisation. Still, the retreats would be open to anyone. Individuals also will go on personal retreats, withdrawing from the world for a period of time.

DaniëlT

With all due respect for your cause. But just observe the state of this planet and it's inhabitants. Now what are your plans.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
With all due respect for your cause. But just observe the state of this planet and it's inhabitants. Now what are your plans.
Please note as a Christian, you are not allowed to comment on a DIR thread of another religious group. Here is the relevant rule,

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted inSame Faith Debates. Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

Just a gentle reminder since you are a new member. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To lead my life according to 'dharma', helping others when I can and not causing pain to others.

"Paropakāram punyāya, pāpāya para peedanam" (Helping others is merit, causing pain to others is sin).

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
@DaniëlT I thank you for your interest in this project, and I believe your interest is sincere. This is a DIR, but I'll answer you once.

I haven't thought out to the full what form this Dharmic unity ought to take, but I suggest a more specific kind of ecumenical-style dialogue- like a council or panel. This dialogue would be more specific because the Dharmic religions share more in common than we disagree on.

Having looked at all three of them- I personally think we argue about details 9 times out of 10 in any given case, and not per se actual irreconcilable differences. What I'm saying is the differences that are there can be worked with. They aren't so great that this project couldn't happen out of a shared concern for living things.

Buddhism and Jainism are schools of Indian philosophy, just as the Hindu orthodox schools are. This means we share a similar core at the heart of our ideologies present in most all Indian schools to a degree. We're concerned with why dualism presents itself to the mind and what it actually means, as an example.

Is dualism a real appearance in the world? Is it only a seeming appearance?

These questions come before any categorization of orthodox and heterodox among Indian traditions of belief and thought. Our main difference as Buddhists and Jains is our rejection of the Vedas, but in most ways- our basic premises and the questions we're setting out to answer are not different.

No doubt, some may feel I've been too general. That's okay though. I don't hold their personal opinion against them.

@Aupmanyav already said what the purpose of such a unity would be. There's more to all three religions than the reality of Dukkha, but we're all very concerned with it. It's a shared concern.

Ahimsa is a value shared by many Hindus, together with Buddhists and Jains. Ahimsa is the active dimension of the desire to tackle Dukkha as a problem. When one begins to carry that desire into action as ethics and a lifestyle.

That would be one great benefit. We'd be a more unified force in tackling suffering, which is more effective in a present world where numbers still somewhat matter.

However, it would also be continuing a tradition that has persisted for centuries between Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains: discussion of our seeming differences, which has greatly enriched all three traditions over time.

We relate to one another enough as traditions of Indian thought- that our arguments can be mutually beneficial. We can accept common insights and grow.

I hope I haven't violated DIR guidelines. I did it with good intent. ;)