• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time for a school of Philosophy

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In Socrates and Plato's day that is were the Philosophists met. In today's world how does an atheist bring up a child properly with a philosophy for life.

My child is already 8 and hard questions are coming. The problem is if I state the rules of the religion he is being brought up in. In school he will meet others being brought up differently and not agreeing with the philosophy of the religion brought up in.

Religious philosophy is good ground work for good human practices, if you stay away from the extreme. His questions today's where is the soul. My answer included other religions. Next question there are other gods, My answer included atheism, Next question people don't believe in god. I realized it is only going to get harder. I want him to complete a religious training and none of them to my understanding acknowlege the other in children's training.

A school of philosphy sounds like a good idea. Public schools would not be able to teach all the philosophy's out there. The kids would never get out of school. I believe philosophy indeed knowing all the prevailing philosophy's a good idea.

What do you think.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think your questions, and your son's questions, are no different from the questions faced by any family. As a Christian parent, I was amazed on a daily basis by questions, beliefs, or trends that my children brought home from public school. I have five kids, so private school wasn't an option. I had to run defense every day starting at about 4:00.

As parents, it's our job - no the school's job - to give our kids analytical skills and a good foundation from which to simply THINK and reason. It's an ongoing process then to expose our kids to situations (and to point out and discuss situations) that THEY should analyze and then act upon.

I know this isn't PHILOSOPHY per se, but if a certain philosophy doesn't lend itself to practical application, I say it's nothing but HOGWASH.

I believe that if we raise our children to think logically, probe, explore, and be independent, they will grow into a level of understanding that we can then load up with philosophical concepts during family time.

I would suggest choosing books, movies, etc. that expose your kids to very different ideas and philosophies. Read or watch these with your children. Discuss in depth afterwards. Give examples of the application of these beliefs in people's lives today.

My parents did this with me and I in turn did this with my kids. Each of my five children is a staunch individualist, and they all have varying personal idiologies and lifestyles. And I am proud of all of them.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Would you send you kids to a school that taught all philosophies with respect but equal.