• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it really so difficult to make your own website?

Greyscale

Well I'm planning to make the one connected with my current work but I'm afraid of that it'll be a too complicated and expensive task for me. Anyone has an experience with this? What can you recommend be?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on what you're making, what you plan to use it for. Making a simple informational web space with a blog attachment is easy as pie, but making more advanced sales websites is a bit trickier. The best path I think is picking up a CMS like Drupal or Wordpress which has tons of templates, scripts, active communities and tutorials.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well I'm planning to make the one connected with my current work but I'm afraid of that it'll be a too complicated and expensive task for me. Anyone has an experience with this? What can you recommend be?

ADigitalArtist said most of what you need to know but can i add, most reputable vendors will have simple drag and drop site creation software as part of the package.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Will it involve any kind of registration, data handling, database type stuff? All that SQL coding and security that comes with it sounds like a nightmare.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
It is easy for the most part and you truly do not need to know much about HTML nowadays to get a site started. You just need to worry about server hosting and server pricing if you are doing it offsite of your location. Other than that it is easy.

suncowiam

Depends what your functionality will be.

It's easy to make a website that does nothing but present data and pictures. It's a whole other ballpark to query inventory, draw user reviews, predict user interest, store pictures/videos and so on, like facebook or amazon.

Duke_Leto

You should be at least familiar with HTML (and possibly CSS) to create a basic website. If you want to handle user input that you want to store (usernames and passwords and the like), you'll need a decent amount of programming experience.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To know what you need, I would have to know what you're trying to do in great detail. As noted, simple websites are simple. Complex websites are complex.

Sensor

No, in general it isn't such a complicated task, with many free platforms and useful tutorials you can build a website with your own hands and you don't need to be a cool programmer or professional web designer for this :) Of course it depends on a certain type of site like it was mentioned in previous responses here but as I understood from your message you don't need a very cool and custom-designed one. This type is really hard and expensive for making and usually it's used for big commercial business.
Your main things for building a site will be domain name, hosting, platform for making it, content and design. Online advertising can be important too if your website is planned for commercial purposes. In this case you should also make a cool, interesting and unique logo for it.
I recommend you to use simply such easy and cheap platforms as Bluehost, Weebly and WordPress, the last one can be used also for free. There are many good tutorials for working with them and their interface is simple even for newbies so your task won't become a problem at all. And for design web builders recommend using web templates, they're the best decision for beginners because with them you'll have ready site skeletons which can be simply modified according tou your needs :) Wordpress template themes templatemonster.com/wordpress-themes.php are very popular in this case and easy to find, besides some of them are free too. It's not a problem to find them for other platforms too.