• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it president Bush' fault gas is so high?

gtrsgrls

Does anybody know why gas prices are so high?I realize that everyone is automatically going to blame it on Bush.But do you know why it is his fault.I live in what the news says has the highest gas prices in the U.S.:asheville N.C.,and people are always saying how it is the presidents's fault that gas is so high.But no one ever says what he has done to make it so high.What has he done?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
Does anybody know why gas prices are so high?I realize that everyone is automatically going to blame it on Bush.But do you know why it is his fault.I live in what the news says has the highest gas prices in the U.S.:asheville N.C.,and people are always saying how it is the presidents's fault that gas is so high.But no one ever says what he has done to make it so high.What has he done?

No. It isn't. It's the oil companies & price gouging.

nutshell

Where I live gas prices have actually come down nearly 50 cents the past couple of weeks.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
the Wawa's by my house has regular unleaded for $2.15
IMPO that's pretty good. I expect the prices to go up here in a week or two what with the holidays upon us but once we get to the new year they should go back down.

but really my gf spends more on a cup of coffee at Starbucks than i do on a gallon of gas.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
$1.57 per liter here (we filled the tank up two days ago)

1 U.S. gallon = 3.785 ltr or .832 Imperial gallon

Therefore we are paying $5.94......:shout

jonny

jewscout said:
the Wawa's by my house has regular unleaded for $2.15
I'm jealous. I was excited to see them around $2.60 here. What happened to the good old days (5 years ago) when you could get a gallon of gas for .99 cents?

I don't know if it's Bush's fault, but I don't think he has done much about the high prices.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You have an oil baron in the White House: of COURSE gas is going to be expensive with NO retribution in sight. That the one oil company posted the LARGEST SINGLE QUARTERLY PROFIT for any US Oil company last quarter shows just how corrupt the current administration is.

jonny

NetDoc said:
You have an oil baron in the White House: of COURSE gas is going to be expensive with NO retribution in sight. That the one oil company posted the LARGEST SINGLE QUARTERLY PROFIT for any US Oil company last quarter shows just how corrupt the current administration is.
What proof do you have to back up your claim? I think it says more about the corruption of the oil companies than the us government.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Oh good greif. It is supply and demand kiddo's. Gas prices are where they are for the same reason that Levi's prices are where they are. It is what the market will bear.

The president has about as much power to control gas prices as he does to control the price of a dress shirt.

Environmentalists who have put up barriers to refinery building are also responsible, in addition to the supply and demand (which is the biggest driver of price). There has not been a new refinery built in the U.S. in 30 years.

There are 3 distinct and seperate factors that have led us to our current gas prices.

1. Demand has gone up for oil, worldwide. China and India, are buying up far more oil than they ever have, and the U.S. and Europe are demanding more oil than they ever have as well. When the demand goes up for a finite product, the price is going to go up.

2. Refinery capacity - once we get the oil purchased and shipped here (see above for reasons of oil's increased price) we still have to turn the oil into gasoline. With no new refinery's for over 30 years, we are attempting to use 3 decades old factories to supply our modern society with gas. It is not able to keep up with the increased demand, plain and simple.

3. Not enough new drilling. There is still oil left in the U.S. There is a lot of oil off the coast of Florida, and who knows where else. But nobody wants to drill off the Fla. coast and nobody wants to drill in Anwar. Without new domestic sources of oil, we are going to continue to be at the mercy of foreign producers.

And finally, and frankly this one was too big to put on the list with the other 3. There have been no viable alternatives to fossil fuel invented to date. When the day comes that fossil fuels are too expensive to use, and we are forced to come up with some other means for fuel, then gas, and oil will cease to be the backbone of our economies that they are today.

B.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
3. Not enough new drilling. There is still oil left in the U.S. There is a lot of oil off the coast of Florida, and who knows where else. But nobody wants to drill off the Fla. coast and nobody wants to drill in Anwar. Without new domestic sources of oil, we are going to continue to be at the mercy of foreign producers.

And finally, and frankly this one was too big to put on the list with the other 3. There have been no viable alternatives to fossil fuel invented to date. When the day comes that fossil fuels are too expensive to use, and we are forced to come up with some other means for fuel, then gas, and oil will cease to be the backbone of our economies that they are today.

B.
Point 3. Not enough new drilling.

Not enough, going by the price of oil. But you seem to forget that the more expensive oil becomes, the more viable it becomes to drill in places which were considered too costly previously.

With the price of oil rocketing, our North Sea Oil fields begining to show signs of running out, Oil will be looked for in places that are known to have oil, but where it has been too costly to drill it in the past.

There have been no viable alternatives to fossil fuel invented to date. When the day comes that fossil fuels are too expensive to use, and we are forced to come up with some other means for fuel, then gas, and oil will cease to be the backbone of our economies that they are today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/15/nano_hydrogen_catflap/
Fuel-cell-powered cars moved another step closer yesterday with the announcement that a group of British scientists have developed a material that can safely store and release hydrogen.

Although fuel cell technology is reasonably well developed, scientists have struggled to find a way of storing enough hydrogen fuel to make them viable alternatives to petrol engines. However, the breakthrough that the Liverpool and Newcastle team has made could change that. It has developed a nanoporous material into which they can load highly pressurised hydrogen. However, once the gas is stored in the pores - nanometres across - its pressure is lowered considerably.

Ads_kid=0;Ads_bid=0;Ads_xl=0;Ads_yl=0;Ads_xp='';Ads_yp='';Ads_opt=0;Ads_wrd='';Ads_par='';Ads_cnturl='';Ads_sec=0;Ads_channels='';
Professor Matt Rosseinsky of the University of Liverpool's Department of Chemistry, described the material as "a molecular cat-flap". He explained: "After allowing the hydrogen molecule - the 'cat' - in, the structure closes shut behind it. The important point is that the hydrogen is loaded into the materials at high pressure but stored in them at a much lower pressure - a unique behaviour."

Professor Mark Thomas, of Newcastle University's Northern Carbon Research Laboratories said that the breakthrough, published in the journal Science, was a proof of principle. He explained that although it will need further development to make it suitable for powering a car, it is an important step towards the reality of environmentally-friendly power. ®

http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/eco/hydrogen.html
[size=+2]HYDROGEN POWERED BUSES IN LONDON[/size]
You may not have heard yet, but a possible alternative to petrol is already with us and it's called a hydrogen fuel cell. The hydrogen fuel cell dates back to 1839 when William Grove, a British (what else!) barrister and amateur physicist first discovered the principle that hydrogen and oxygen can be combined to produce an electric current.

In the past 5 years there has been a considerable advance in the technology of fuel cells and London will take delivery of its first hydrogen powered buses by Christmas 2003, with passenger services likely to begin in central London by early 2004.

General Motors in the USA is planning to build one million fuel-cell vehicles a year in the next decade, but it won't be until 2020 that the US-motor industry expects a full transition to be underway.

Does the hydrogen fuel cell represent an alternative to relying on perilous fossil fuel imports? Can what is being called "the hydrogen economy" contribute to a Sustainable Energy for National Self-Reliance Programme? And just how safe are hydrogen buses and cars, and how clean is hydrogen fuel? These and other questions will be examined by Sovereignty in the coming months and years.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Brits may have discovered Fuel cells, but kiwis built them. And guess who bought the patents... :rolleyes: (oil companies/barons of course silly :p )

jonny

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Oh good greif. It is supply and demand kiddo's. Gas prices are where they are for the same reason that Levi's prices are where they are. It is what the market will bear.
Economics also states that prices go up much easier than they go down. I don't doubt there were some supply/demands issues in the beginning, but I believe that the oil companies have taken advantage of the situation.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Hello...did we miss the hurricane that destroyed some 80% of the Gulf oil production and refining ability? The fact that the US and world oil reserves have been dipped into as a result?
Unless George W stood on the levee wall shrieking,'Smite me, oh mighty smiter!' into the wailing winds, I hardly think he's responsible for the price of a gallon of gas.
And if he is, can anyone then explain why Australia and the UK - not sure about NZ, Snalespace might care to enlighten us on that score - are paying higher prices than the US, and were even before the whole natural disaster thing went on?
As much as the man may be a tool of epic proportions, you can't hold him responsible for anything and everything that goes on while he's in office.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
lady_lazarus said:
Unless George W stood on the levee wall shrieking,'Smite me, oh mighty smiter!' into the wailing winds, I hardly think he's responsible for the price of a gallon of gas.
I doubt it happened but I wish it had. Maybe when the levee broke....(you got no place to gooooo.)

High fuel prices are due to dwindling supply and oil rich families trying to cash in with one last hoorah.

jonny

lady_lazarus said:
Hello...did we miss the hurricane that destroyed some 80% of the Gulf oil production and refining ability? The fact that the US and world oil reserves have been dipped into as a result?
The entire country does not get oil out of the Gulf. Most of the oil on the West Coast comes from Alaska. The problem isn't the hurricane. The problem is that there is no standard blend of gas and there are not enough refineries. By not building new refineries, the oil companies are limiting the supply of oil...kinda reminds me of how the DeBeers was able to control the price of diamonds by controlling the supply.

That may be paradoxical, but Bush really meant to look like he's at fault, not Allan Greenspan.

The scarcity principle for energy resources is a big bungle of the left. But then global warming is an EXCUSE. Vertigo man, vertigo.Knockout Bush takes no responsibility mostly because he does what he can with the thing got voted in for: freedom of the inter-racial love-lorn.

Personally, I believe it is Jewish perceived interpretation which resolves the conscience for those magnificent reserves of historical natural eons of evolution.:clap

We want lower prices. So do the French. That's the neglected legacy of our humanely-romantic president. You know, I believe Allan Alda is with me on this one.:bounce

ChrisP

Veteran Member
world nonpotent said:
That may be paradoxical, but Bush really meant to look like he's at fault, not Allan Greenspan.

The scarcity principle for energy resources is a big bungle of the left. But then global warming is an EXCUSE. Vertigo man, vertigo.Knockout Bush takes no responsibility mostly because he does what he can with the thing got voted in for: freedom of the inter-racial love-lorn.

Personally, I believe it is Jewish perceived interpretation which resolves the conscience for those magnificent reserves of historical natural eons of evolution.:clap

We want lower prices. So do the French. That's the neglected legacy of our humanely-romantic president. You know, I believe Allan Alda is with me on this one.:bounce
I'm sorry but am I the only one that made no sense to?:sarcastic

[EDIT]Oh good, Johnny's confused too. [/EDIT]

jonny

world nonpotent said:

Huh? :confused: What is "Jewish perceived interpretation" and what are "magnificent reserves of historical natural eons of evolution" and how did they get a conscience?

Finally, what is "inter-racial love-lorn" and what does that have to do with the election?