• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to be re-baptised?

Dream Angel

Just wondering if it was posisble for a member who has already been baptised but then gone inactive for some time and returned to be rebaptised. I think I already know the answer (no) but wanted to make sure.

The reason I ask is when (and I am saying when) I am able to fully return to the Church and become a fully active member, I would have liked to be baptised again. I wouldnt want all the attention that I got the first time around....just the act would be enough...I just feel like I am not the same person now that I was two years ago...I feel like someone completely different and I am probably going to continue to improve and develop in my testimony, I am likely to be even more different by the time I am able to return.

I sort of feel like two years ago wasnt real, it was very rushed, and although my heart had a grasp of the truthfulness of the church, my head was still a resounding no....as you all know my heart and head have been in an ongoing battle, one which my heart is slowly gaining courage, and winning.

???????

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just wondering if it was posisble for a member who has already been baptised but then gone inactive for some time and returned to be rebaptised. I think I already know the answer (no) but wanted to make sure.
You're right. The answer is 'no,' but the rest of your post implies that you don't fully understand the ordinance you received.

The reason I ask is when (and I am saying when) I am able to fully return to the Church and become a fully active member, I would have liked to be baptised again. I wouldnt want all the attention that I got the first time around....just the act would be enough...I just feel like I am not the same person now that I was two years ago...I feel like someone completely different and I am probably going to continue to improve and develop in my testimony, I am likely to be even more different by the time I am able to return.
What you haven't stopped to consider is how much every single solitary Latter-day Saint changes over the course of time. Look at me. I'm sixty years old. I was baptized at the age of eight. Heck, I hardly even remember getting baptized, and I can assure you that my understanding of the gospel at that time was pretty much like... well, that of an eight-year-old. ;) I probably had about the same understanding then as you did when you were baptized. The incredibly beautiful thing about the gospel is that this doesn't really matter. You absolutely, positively need to buy yourself a copy of Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson. You can get it from Deseret Book for $7.00 in paperback. (Nope, I don't know how much that is in British pounds, but you might. Anyway, it's cheap.) If you read this book -- and it's a very easy read -- you will understand why it would be pointless for you to be baptized again. You will also gain a greater understanding of the Atonement than you could by reading almost anything else, scriptures and Conference talks included. Trust me.

I sort of feel like two years ago wasnt real, it was very rushed, and although my heart had a grasp of the truthfulness of the church, my head was still a resounding no....as you all know my heart and head have been in an ongoing battle, one which my heart is slowly gaining courage, and winning.
I know. Even though I was excited to see you get baptized, I didn't feel it was the right time. I think you ran into a couple of missionaries who wanted to write home about quickly they "converted" you. I think it was a mistake, but it's one that would not be fixed by getting re-baptized.

Last edited:

Dream Angel

You're right. The answer is 'no,' but the rest of your post implies that you don't fully understand the ordinance you received.

To be honest, I dont think I ever have!

What you haven't stopped to consider is how much every single solitary Latter-day Saint changes over the course of time. Look at me. I'm sixty years old. I was baptized at the age of eight. Heck, I hardly even remember getting baptized, and I can assure you that my understanding of the gospel at that time was pretty much like... well, that of an eight-year-old. ;) I probably had about the same understanding then as you did when you were baptized.

I hadnt thought of it like that - thankyou! That does make a little sense now!

The incredibly beautiful thing about the gospel is that this doesn't really matter. You absolutely, positively need to buy yourself a copy of Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson. You can get it from Deseret Book for $7.00 in paperback. (Nope, I don't know how much that is in British pounds, but you might. Anyway, it's cheap.) If you read this book -- and it's a very easy read -- you will understand why it would be pointless for you to be baptized again. You will also gain a greater understanding of the Atonement than you could by reading almost anything else, scriptures and Conference talks included. Trust me.

I do trust you, and I will find that book and get myself a copy! Its at the top of my reading agenda :)

I know. Even though I was excited to see you get baptized, I didn't feel it was the right time. I think you ran into a couple of missionaries who wanted to write home about quickly they "converted" you. I think it was a mistake, but it's one that would not be fixed by getting re-baptized.

In their defense, I probably did give the impression of knowing everything - mainly from being on these forums I knew from an intellectual stand point quite a few of the things most new members have never heard of. So I have to take some of the blame.

Thanks Katz :D

FFH

Veteran Member
Baptism symbolizes the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Baptism also represents, and is a statement to Jesus Christ, that we will "die" to sin and be "reborn" in righteousness, as righteouse followers of Jesus Christ, following his PERFECT example.

We are then given the Holy Ghost to help us DISCERN between GOOD and EVIL.

We then are required to ENDURE TO THE END in faith, in righteousness.

We don't need to be rebaptized, but rather we need to repent on a DAILY, and even hourly basis, if needed, and partake of the Sacrament at church, wherin we renew our covenants made at our baptism.

"Humble yourselves"
Word Search: humble yourselves

Last edited:

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
It's been done in the past, most notably in the Mormon Reformation. It's not done currently though.
You beat me to it.

Dream Angel,

Partaking of the sacrament each Sunday is a renewing of our covenants (promises) made with God. Therefore, each time you eat of the bread and water you are, in a way, being "baptized" again.

Keeping this thought in your mind during the sacrament passing makes such simple acts that much more sacred.

FFH

Veteran Member
Dream Angel, i'm not active either, don't let it get you down, just do your best, the LORD understands and does not condemn us, but only loves us, more than we realize.

In prayer I've felt the love of the Lord flood over me so strongly that I began to cry with joy, my heart was filled, and I don't even go to church. I still pay tithes and offerings though and keep the commandments and even bless and partake the sacrament at home.

I know I need to go to church, but really, I'm enjoying my break from people and organized religion, too much, to go back.

People and organized religion can be a huge challenge, I totally understand that, but we must attend church.

I'll go if you go to. I'll pray that your parents will let you go, if that's the problem. Take your friend, the one that has cerebral palsey, if he's not active either.

How about tomorrow, if I go will you go ???

Last edited:

Dream Angel

Dream Angel, i'm not active either, don't let it get you down, just do your best, the LORD understands and does not condemn us, but only loves us, more than we realize.

In prayer I've felt the love of the Lord flood over me so strongly that I began to cry with joy, my heart was filled, and I don't even go to church. I still pay tithes and offerings though and keep the commandments and even bless and partake the sacrament at home.

I know I need to go to church, but really, I'm enjoying my break from people and organized religion, too much, to go back.

People and organized religion can be a huge challenge, I totally understand that, but we must attend church.

I'll go if you go to. I'll pray that your parents will let you go, if that's the problem. Take your friend, the one that has cerebral palsey, if he's not active either.

How about tomorrow, if I go will you go ???

I didnt realise you dont go to Church - came as a bit of a surprise!

I just got back from speaking with the Bishop, it was lovely, he was lovely, very helpful - gave me a blessing - it was wonderful to feel The Spirit again! It made me feel so much better! Bishop is so helpful offering to see me at this time of night! A great man!

Its a lovely sentiment FFH - a pact to go to Church and I would love to go, but the time is not right at the moment. I need to pray to Heavenly Father to help guide me and know when the time is right to go (and suffer the consequences with my parents)...

Its strange I have this burning desire to blurt it out - shame my parents arent awake, maybe I could wake them? tell them while they were half asleep! haha! Actually perhaps not, they would just be in a mood already then - dont like to be woken from their beauty sleep!

I feel happy at the moment! :) I like this feeling...its good! I know the Church is true I just need the courage and strength to follow in what I believe!

Watch this space.....:)

Dream Angel

You beat me to it.

Dream Angel,

Partaking of the sacrament each Sunday is a renewing of our covenants (promises) made with God. Therefore, each time you eat of the bread and water you are, in a way, being "baptized" again.

Keeping this thought in your mind during the sacrament passing makes such simple acts that much more sacred.

Thats what the Bishop said! He told me I was missing out not being able to go to Church - but he understood why I couldnt...I said that I missed going to Church too! I do...I long for the day when I can return!

FFH

Veteran Member
I didnt realise you dont go to Church - came as a bit of a surprise!

I just got back from speaking with the Bishop, it was lovely, he was lovely, very helpful - gave me a blessing - it was wonderful to feel The Spirit again! It made me feel so much better! Bishop is so helpful offering to see me at this time of night! A great man!

Its a lovely sentiment FFH - a pact to go to Church and I would love to go, but the time is not right at the moment. I need to pray to Heavenly Father to help guide me and know when the time is right to go (and suffer the consequences with my parents)...

Its strange I have this burning desire to blurt it out - shame my parents arent awake, maybe I could wake them? tell them while they were half asleep! haha! Actually perhaps not, they would just be in a mood already then - dont like to be woken from their beauty sleep!

I feel happy at the moment! :) I like this feeling...its good! I know the Church is true I just need the courage and strength to follow in what I believe!

Watch this space.....:)
Have you ever thought of asking your Bishop to set you up with the Stake Patriarch so you can get a Patriarchal blessing ???

My Patriarchal blessing has given me guidance, that I didn't think I needed at the time, but now see how valuable it was, to get me through some rough times.

Last edited:

Dream Angel

Have you ever thought of asking your Bishop to set you up with the Stake Patriarch so you can get a Patriarchal blessing ???

My Patriarchal blessing has given me guidance, that I didn't think I needed at the time, but now see how valuable it was, to get me through some rough times.

I thought you had to be a fully active member to recieve a patriarchal blessing?