• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that the Bible involves exaggeration? (and King Solomon)

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
pedantry = missing the point
What IS the point?

1) “I say to you this day, ‘You will be with me in paradise’”

2) “I say to, ‘This day you will be with me in paradise’”

1) God cannot TEMPTED…
2) But God can be TESTED!!

Muffled

Jesus in me
Perhaps those are not exaggerations .. but your comment certainly is. No where in the OT is God desribed as "All Powerfull - All Knowing - Omnipotent" .. and in fact the reverse is true. God is described as anthropomorphic .. with human failings and some of the more nasty of human characteristics .. a God who makes mistakes .. regrets those mistakes .. then makes the same mistake over again.... a Flip Flopping God who says one thing one day and something else the next .. seemingly unable to make up mind from one day to the next.

Perhaps you are referring to some God other than the one of the Bible .. my apologies if that is the case.
I believe my concept of God is more likely true than yours.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The scripture does not phrase it as an option of what God can do. It says the human is in control of God and God will obey them.

Again.

The verses say that God is obeying them.
I don't believe so. God will do what He thinks is best and sometimes that aligns with what men want.

Sargonski

I believe my concept of God is more likely true than yours.
What a bizzare and brain fried response ?? .. I have not given my concept of God .. so how could your conception be "More likely True" .. and how could you possibly know this to begin with.

Further -- Which God are you talking about .. what is the name of this all powerfull all knowing omnicient God ?

I simply commented that your God is clearly not a God of the Jewish Bible. clearly not the God of Abraham .. not the God of Moses.

DNB

Christian
What IS the point?

1) “I say to you this day, ‘You will be with me in paradise’”

2) “I say to, ‘This day you will be with me in paradise’”

1) God cannot TEMPTED…
2) But God can be TESTED!!
No one, but Jesus, is in heaven now - the comma comes after 'today'

Soapy

No one, but Jesus, is in heaven now - the comma comes after 'today'
So… you are into ‘refinements’ that lead to correct understanding… great!!

‘No one [,] but Jesus [,] is in Heaven now’ … false!

Haven’t you read the book of Revelation?
God is the ruler of the Heavenly realm… Jesus becomes the ruler of the Created realm.

Jesus is REWARDED BY GOD with the rulership of the renewed earth because Jesus has fulfilled the roll set to him as Messiah.

Jesus does not rule the Spiritual world… it is the eternal preserve of God, alone.

Audie

Veteran Member
What a bizzare and brain fried response ?? .. I have not given my concept of God .. so how could your conception be "More likely True" .. and how could you possibly know this to begin with.

Further -- Which God are you talking about .. what is the name of this all powerfull all knowing omnicient God ?

I simply commented that your God is clearly not a God of the Jewish Bible. clearly not the God of Abraham .. not the God of Moses.
Hey, Progress!
Don't knock it.

Your friend admitted he doesn't know
and that his God is no more than a
feeling about what he thinks is likely.

DNB

Christian
So… you are into ‘refinements’ that lead to correct understanding… great!!

‘No one [,] but Jesus [,] is in Heaven now’ … false!

Haven’t you read the book of Revelation?
God is the ruler of the Heavenly realm… Jesus becomes the ruler of the Created realm.

Jesus is REWARDED BY GOD with the rulership of the renewed earth because Jesus has fulfilled the roll set to him as Messiah.

Jesus does not rule the Spiritual world… it is the eternal preserve of God, alone.
HOW PEDANTIC ARE YOU?????

Jesus is the only human that lived on earth, who is now in heaven.

You're a pain.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
i answered in post #138
In post #138 I quoted you saying:
Jesus' curse was not vengeful - that was merely an application from the parable that states that 'whatever serves no purpose is cut down and thrown in the flames'. Jesus was making an illustrative point of what will happen in the end times to the fruitless and unworthy.

I thought the fig tree story being simultaneously historical and figurative doesn't make sense.... maybe you're saying it has a secondary meaning but the point of this thread is whether things are completely accurate and factual.

Last edited:

Sargonski

Hey, Progress!
Don't knock it.

Your friend admitted he doesn't know
and that his God is no more than a
feeling about what he thinks is likely.
Can we call this progress ? -- don't think he has admitted to himself that his conception of God comes not from the Jewish Bible but made up feel good stories .. and that is a big problem don't you think ? Claim to believe in the God of the Bible .. but your conception of God completely opposed to the depiction of the Gods of the OT. .

Take the God Sataniel .. the Advocate .. the Tester.. power over the earth .. can rain lightning from the sky through force of will .. killing humans at the drop of a hat. One of God's numerous Sons .. some of whome decended from the heavenly realm (sky) .. and actually took wives amongst the numerous nubile women .. but I digress somewhat ... the coupling of Gods and Humans in such fashion a bit of a fascination.

Now EL -- Chief of the Pantheon - Father - Creator .. Head of the Divine Council .. dwelling place high in the Mountains .. El Shaddai .. "The twin peaks" .. El Elyon .. El Olam .. "Most High" "Supreme One" ... its funny that in Psalm 82 .. YHWH is addressing the divine Council .. the Congregation of EL .. speaking to the other Sons of God who he has defeated .. refers to them "I say you are Gods - Sons of the Supreme one"

Well .. OK -- but even this High God El -- who used to reign over the earth but is not a high God in the heavenly realm .. while the sons fight for control over the earth .. this drama played out not just in Scripture .. but in history .. and at this time .. it is walled cities fighting it out among each other .. you go to war against another city .. or groups of cities get together and fight each other .. Talking the time of Abe around 1800-2000 BC

This God however is anthropomorphic .. not some omnipotent .. all knowing yada hoo hoo God .. Regrets ever creating humans .. thinks it was a big mistake .. (guess She didn't forsee that one) .. This creation turns out to be so worthless .. this God wants to snuff it out .. or "God's" rather .. after all it is "Like US" created in "Our Image" .. and it ain't the Trinity being referenced .. but hear not my words but those of the Most High

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

Good Grief .. that bad aye .. what an experiment gone horribly wrong. This is not some all knowing God .. as not only does he make this big blunder .. which he wipes out his little experiment .. all save small group of them .. so he can make the same blunder again .. as why would he expect the one's he saved to turn out any different .. ?? You have a garden .. create some seeds which turn out to be weeds .. of the most horrible kind .. "Only Evil all of the Time" .. doesn't get any worse .. so God Wipes these weeds out .. but keeps a few .. which are then repopulate the Garden .. and are just as Evil ..

but then .. later along comes one of the Sons of God named YHWH .. .. or Yahu of the Shasu .. a Midianite God .. adopted by .. or who adopts Moses... the cult of Yahwism .. now that is some kind of nasty strange God .. much different than the God of Abraham .. and MelchiZedek. This is a xenophobic genocidal maniac .. prone to jealous rage .. and the most petty and nasty of Human Characteristics .. flip flopping irrational God .. who one day says "Do not kill the children for the sins of the Parents" .. the next day commands "Kill all the children .. Women.. and fetuses .. because of the sins of the Father and townspeople ... for the sin of making YHWH Jealous .. A God who's name is Jealousy..

Exodus 34 : 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

I keep asking folks who claim things about God .. which God they are talking about .. what is the name of the God they are refering to .. but none will say a name .. never mind give the God whose name is Jealous .. ... Nice name says much about this anthropomorphic God ..

The Jealousy problem goes back a long long long time .. one never resolved satisfactorally by Philosophers Theologians .. .. here we have the Name of God being "Jealous" - this is a big deal .. quite a thing to say as to the Israelites the Name was everything .. the Temple of the Lord built at Jerusalem " The Place where the name of God resides"

So .. who is this "All Powerful - All knowing - Omniscient" God of the Bible .. cause is sure as hell ain't any of the one's I mentioned .. ??

Soapy

HOW PEDANTIC ARE YOU?????

Jesus is the only human that lived on earth, who is now in heaven.

You're a pain.
You did not STATE that you MEANT that Jesus is the ONLY HUMAN in Heaven [now].

Jesus IS the only human Being in Heaven EVER!

No human has ever been in Heaven until Jesus Christ was raised up to there BY GOD. Jesus will REMAIN the only human in Heaven until the first resurrection. Those humans in the first resurrection, those called ‘The Elect whom are already judged by jesus as worthy for everlasting life, it is said that will reside on Heaven.

You see how your disrespect for correctness can lead to great mistakes in understanding. I’ve seen you make that same mistake with other posters in this forum… mistakes that led to arguments about what was being discussed and what the answer to an actual question was.

Why would you want to be resistant to being corrected if you claim you are trying to teach or express a truth about a gospel/spiritual matter??
The scriptures, from where you should be obtaining your knowledge, themselves speaks against your attitude in this matter:
  • ‘Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid.’ (Proverbs 12:1)
  • ‘Those who disregard discipline despise themselves, but the one who heeds correction gains understanding.’ (Proverbs 15:32)
What I’m showing you is not ‘Pedantry’. Your terms of use was off-centre and would lead to misunderstanding and errors in correctness in belief : ‘Deceiving and being deceived’ (1 Timothy 3:13) further down the line. The correct behaviour in this instance would have been to just humbly accept the “pedantry”, learn the proper usage, and increase you’d knowledge on the matter:
  • Yahweh, almighty God: the Father, cannot be TEMPTED but he can be TESTED!

Last edited: