• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that the Bible involves exaggeration? (and King Solomon)

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
So you agree that Jesus doesn’t grant anything in respect of the situation described : ‘I will ask the Father and he will give you what you ask for’!!
Can we answer this only on this two passages?

We need to have a normal discussion without arrows and bows to go further.

Just as you are commited to studying , others are also.

So if you are for normal discussion this is my answer:

Romans 10:9
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Psalms 91:14
God says, "I will save those who love me and will protect those who acknowledge me as Lord.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
People did raise the dead, as I pointed out - they had 'mountain-moving' faith.

Jesus promised anything on the basis of both faith and righteousness - God will not deprive His people of what they need, or ask for provided it coincides with His will, and the request stems from love for God.

How many times now??? Thou shalt not tempt God - we don't make frivolous petitions to God as acts of bravado or for sport - that's contempt
Actually, no one can ‘TEMPT’ God… Thr correct saying is ‘Thou shalt not put the Lord thy God TO THE TEST’.

‘Temptation’ is to attempt to illegally gain what you do not already have/own. All [good] things belong to God so it’s impossible to TEMPT God.

To ‘Test’ is to demand/request the attempt to PROVE that something can/cannot be done. Asking/demanding God to prove something is to bring the almightiness of God into contempt.

Soapy

Can we answer this only on this two passages?

We need to have a normal discussion without arrows and bows to go further.

Just as you are commited to studying , others are also.

So if you are for normal discussion this is my answer:

Romans 10:9
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Psalms 91:14
God says, "I will save those who love me and will protect those who acknowledge me as Lord.
What’s your question? ‘Lord’ is a TITLE and is just a word that has synonyms such as ‘Master’ / ‘Teacher’ / ‘Great one’ / etc.

God, the Father, is Jesus’ Lord…
Jesus, the Christ, is our Lord…

Lord’ is not a personal title. Satan is ‘Lord’ of darkness (which means, anything bad, debauched, sinful!) A Judge is ‘Lord’ of his courtroom, hence a barrister addresses him as ‘my Lord’…

A title can belong to many, each of whom of whom qualifies IN CONTEXT.

Or do you believe that your human ‘Father’ is my my human ‘Father’… (what’s the context?)

Or do you believe that the psalm writer was confused when he wrote (concerning king David):
  • The Lord [Yhwh God] said unto my Lord [king David], “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies as a footstool [for your feet]’

Last edited:

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
What’s your question? ‘Lord’ is a TITLE and is just a word that has synonyms such as ‘Master’ / ‘Teacher’ / ‘Great one’ / etc.

God, the Father, is Jesus’ Lord…
Jesus, the Christ, is our Lord…

Lord’ is not a personal title. Satan is ‘Lord’ of darkness (which means, anything bad, debauched, sinful!) A Judge is ‘Lord’ of his courtroom, hence a barrister addresses him as ‘my Lord’…

A title can belong to many, each of whom of whom qualifies IN CONTEXT.

That's your interpretation.

I go with scripture, it says "me as Lord"

There is no adjective after Lord.

*Predicate adjectives are adjectives that modify or describe the subject of a sentence or clause and are linked to the subject by a linking verb.

*The Omnipotence, Omniscience, and Omnipresence of God

The three “omni” attributes of God characterize him as all-powerful, all-knowing, and everywhere present. Each of these involves the other two, and each provides a perspective on the all-embracing lordship of the true God.

God is Lord of all , since he is All Powerfull,all-knowing and everywhere present.

So, is God Lord of Satan ;is God the Lord of the darkness also?
So,can the Judge be the accused in his courtroom?
Let's see how context qualifies.

Malachi 3:1
“I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty.

Who is the messenger of the covenant , whom they desire ?
I would like an answer to that

DNB

Christian
Matthew 21:18-19
Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.

Actually the fig tree was just fruitless at the time Jesus was hungry - it would have had fruit later in the future - if Jesus hadn't have cursed it.... (though in Mark 11:20 the fig tree takes until the morning to wither)
I believe that it wasn't the season for figs to be ripe, but Jesus saw the inherent incapability of the plant.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
I believe that it wasn't the season for figs to be ripe, but Jesus saw the inherent incapability of the plant.
It seems clear to me that saying “May you never bear fruit again means that without Jesus' statement it would have bore fruit in the future - rather than already being incapable of ever bearing fruit.

DNB

Christian
Actually, no one can ‘TEMPT’ God… Thr correct saying is ‘Thou shalt not put the Lord thy God TO THE TEST’.

‘Temptation’ is to attempt to illegally gain what you do not already have/own. All [good] things belong to God so it’s impossible to TEMPT God.

To ‘Test’ is to demand/request the attempt to PROVE that something can/cannot be done. Asking/demanding God to prove something is to bring the almightiness of God into contempt.
Will you quit getting pedantic with me? There's no need for precision, as far as the point that I was trying to make is concerned.

DNB

Christian
It seems clear to me that saying “May you never bear fruit again means that without Jesus' statement it would have bore fruit in the future - rather than already being incapable of ever bearing fruit.
This is a peculiar passage, unlike any other in the Gospels, that is devoid of both explanation and full context - leave it alone, it is probably beyond both yours and mine, and everyone else's, ability to exegete it correctly.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
This is a peculiar passage, unlike any other in the Gospels, that is devoid of both explanation and full context - leave it alone, it is probably beyond both yours and mine, and everyone else's, ability to exegete it correctly.
The Matthew 21:18-22 passage is similar to Mark 11:12-26. Mark was apparently written first and the fig tree miracle was less miraculous because it only was noticed the next day rather than happening immediately....

Soapy

Will you quit getting pedantic with me? There's no need for precision, as far as the point that I was trying to make is concerned.
Shouldn’t you have put a ‘tongue in cheek’ emoji at the end of your sentence to show you were caught short!

Did you learn the truth, though: ‘Tested’ not ‘Tempted’!! Were you ‘refined’ in truth and understanding so you err less? Or do you believe that Almighty God: YHWH, the Father, can be ‘Tempted’? With what can Almighty God be tempted?

Trust in the refining by the Spirit of the Lord God delivers us from the very things that hold us back, all the while strengthening our spiritual muscles and understanding.

Last edited:

Soapy

That's your interpretation.

I go with scripture, it says "me as Lord"

There is no adjective after Lord.

*Predicate adjectives are adjectives that modify or describe the subject of a sentence or clause and are linked to the subject by a linking verb.

*The Omnipotence, Omniscience, and Omnipresence of God

The three “omni” attributes of God characterize him as all-powerful, all-knowing, and everywhere present. Each of these involves the other two, and each provides a perspective on the all-embracing lordship of the true God.

God is Lord of all , since he is All Powerfull,all-knowing and everywhere present.

So, is God Lord of Satan ;is God the Lord of the darkness also?
So,can the Judge be the accused in his courtroom?
Let's see how context qualifies.

Malachi 3:1
“I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty.

Who is the messenger of the covenant , whom they desire ?
I would like an answer to that
I always know that you know you are wrong when you start a sentence with ‘That's your interpretation.’

‘The Lord that you are seeking…’ - ‘The GREAT ONE that you are seeking…’

The ‘Great one’ / ‘Lord’ that the Jews were seeking was the Messiah whom GOD PROMISED them… But they expected a WARRIOR Lord and felt disappointed when this great one came preaching ‘Love thine enemy and bd good to them that mistreat you’…!

All of these things are well documented and so I don’t understand why you are creating new interpretation on factual matters … unless….!!

DNB

Christian
The Matthew 21:18-22 passage is similar to Mark 11:12-26. Mark was apparently written first and the fig tree miracle was less miraculous because it only was noticed the next day rather than happening immediately....
it's figurative - leave it alone

DNB

Christian
Shouldn’t you have put a ‘tongue in cheek’ emoji at the end of your sentence to show you were caught short!

Did you learn the truth, though: ‘Tested’ not ‘Tempted’!! Were you ‘refined’ in truth and understanding so you err less? Or do you believe that Almighty God: YHWH, the Father, can be ‘Tempted’? With what can Almighty God be tempted?

Trust in the refining by the Spirit of the Lord God delivers us from the very things that hold us back, all the while strengthening our spiritual muscles and understanding.
You're being pedantic

Audie

Veteran Member
I always know that you know you are wrong when you start a sentence with ‘That's your interpretation.’

‘The Lord that you are seeking…’ - ‘The GREAT ONE that you are seeking…’

The ‘Great one’ / ‘Lord’ that the Jews were seeking was the Messiah whom GOD PROMISED them… But they expected a WARRIOR Lord and felt disappointed when this great one came preaching ‘Love thine enemy and bd good to them that mistreat you’…!

All of these things are well documented and so I don’t understand why you are creating new interpretation on factual matters … unless….!!
"Documented"?

Soapy

You're being pedantic
No… ‘Tempted’ is not ‘Tested’.

Simple as…

A driving examiner does not ‘Tempt’ a learner driver… He ‘Tests’ the learner to see if the learner is able to carry out the correct procedure at the right time.

A Temptation is “to try to entice (someone) to do something that they find attractive but know to be wrong or unwise.” (Dict. Def.)

DNB

Christian
No… ‘Tempted’ is not ‘Tested’.

Simple as…

A driving examiner does not ‘Tempt’ a learner driver… He ‘Tests’ the learner to see if the learner is able to carry out the correct procedure at the right time.

A Temptation is “to try to entice (someone) to do something that they find attractive but know to be wrong or unwise.” (Dict. Def.)
pedantry = missing the point