• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Human Nature To Take Care Of Others?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it human nature to take care of those less fortunate than us? Do we have a natural tendency to do so?

What about taking care of people who are sick or injured? Is that human nature?

Is doing such things instinctual, learned, or both?

standing_on_one_foot

It's human nature to take care of those you care for or feel you have a responsibility towards. This can be family and friends, or it can extend further. I think the extent of it is what's learned.

Hacker

Sunstone said:
Is it human nature to take care of those less fortunate than us? Do we have a natural tendency to do so?

I think every human being has the innate ability to have empathy for those who are less fortunate than themselves.

Taking care of sick or injured makes me happy knowing that I'm helping somebody, it makes my day. I don't know if it's natural for everybody, good question...I would think if somebody were hurt or injured and there wasn't anybody else around to help that person but YOU that you would naturally have the inclination to want to take care of them. I think it's instinctual and learned depending on familial and cultural influences.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Sunstone said:

Usually it's instinctive, with the exeptions being those with autistic disorders, psychopaths, etc. We're a gregarious animal; it's beneficial to the "herd", so to speak, and to the gene pool to help take care of others.

IIRC it wasn't too long ago in human evolution that we actually started taking care of the sick and injured. To me that suggests it's more of a modern phenomena than an instinctive one.

Laila

Sunstone said:

The responsibility towards fellow human beings is an innate function that starts with taking care of the family unit. People that show humanity, and have the ability to care for another over any prejudice, are in touch with this great gift.

With regards to your last question; this instinct is probably nurtured by upbringing - so I would have to say both. However, not in all circumstances as there are people who have had heinous childhood environments but still come out as very caring people. Jensa has also made a good point about people with autistic disorders.

Random

Sunstone said:

No. Take care of your loved ones and friends first. Screw the rest.

Sunstone said:

It is if you have available time and resources. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble.

Sunstone said:

Conditioning, pure and simple. In a real naturalistic "survival of the fittest" world you'd leave the weak and defenceless behind and forget about them unless they were of use to you: if not, they are to be left to die or suffer or whatever. Who cares?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well,some people actually feel compassion and sadness for those who are suffering and want to help them. I don't think it's an innate part of human nature though, except when it comes to our own. Even though this kind of compassion is nurture more than nature, I do think it's become over time an important part of the human and community spirit.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If it's human nature to take care of the less fortunate, the sick or injured, does society have an obligation to do so, or should it be left up to individuals?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sunstone said:
If it's human nature to take care of the less fortunate, the sick or injured, does society have an obligation to do so, or should it be left up to individuals?

I think that is the very nature of society. Social structure provides security; the basic function of a government is to provide order for the "herd." If an individual in a herd has an altruistic nature, then a society formed of these individuals must in turn be altruistic.

So should one society (i.e. nation) be altruistic towards another?

Ody

Is it human nature to take care of those less fortunate than us? Do we have a natural tendency to do so? For some of us, perhaps

What about taking care of people who are sick or injured? Is that human nature? I think so, after witnessing the care of a dog for another who was in the last stages of her life.

Both, under certain circumstances, I am not too sure if people born with extreme anti social personality disorders have any empathy.

Ody

Sunstone said:

Ideally and morally, individuals should have all ready taken up this task.