• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it easier?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is it easier to pick on others beliefs then it is to pick apart your own belief and then putting it back together with a new wisdom?
Does it feel better to pick apart others belief then to be able to awaken to your own belief?

As the OP starter i am not going to be a part of this discussion. Just wish to hear what you guys think

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I'm a Buddhist, a Mercuraen Luciferian, a Taoist, and a Pastafarian. I set these different religions against each other in my own mind all the time. It helps me to understand them better this way. I don't feel the need to pick apart others beliefs, unless they try to misrepresent and hijack one of my religions.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it easier to pick on others beliefs then it is to pick apart your own belief and then putting it back together with a new wisdom?
Does it feel better to pick apart others belief then to be able to awaken to your own belief?

As the OP starter i am not going to be a part of this discussion. Just wish to hear what you guys think

I don't really have any beliefs as in ideas that have no experiential foundation, which is to say that my views are based on experiences rather than what I've been told or what I've read.

That said, I am ever bit as critical of my own view as I am those of others, but I find myself being more critical of those that blindly follow a path just because it's what they were told is correct and even more critical of those that pass such a path off as the only correct one.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

People are totally free to believe whatever they wish. I can't be bothered to even read and study other folk's beliefs to critique them. But, as others have said, problems do arise when part of another's belief is to criticise any but their own.

To me, that's about the same thing as creating fake negative reviews and posting them on-line of opposing businesses. You really think that many motels in America have bed bugs?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Is it easier? Sure. But it is far more necessary to pick apart your own beliefs. it is far, far easier to fool yourself than for others to fool you.

No, I find it to feel far better to find a flaw in my own beliefs and rebuild.

One of the values of 'picking apart' someone else's beliefs is that it can bring out logic errors that can reveal issues with one's own beliefs. By really delving into the logic behind the beliefs of another and figuring out what is good and what is wrong about those beliefs, it can highlight places I have to do more work in my own belief system.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I live to work from values, not beliefs. I am very transparent about my values (Universal Human Rights, and critical thinking).

When I'm debating, I'm trying to understand the values that underlie the person's beliefs.

ManSinha

Yes - looking figuratively in the mirror and seeing the truth is very hard in general

In my case I am constrained against any blanket criticism by multiple different schools of thought -

I am fine with others following their own path - as long as - they do not try to pass it off as the best, the only or any other superlative that can be expressed but not metaphysically or realistically proven (Most everyone's chosen path is the best and the only for them)