• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is is okay to change gotra if you are a Brahmin ?

Vedic

hi all,

i am a brahmin and my gotra is Kaushika, but as many puranic myth have tried to destroy our prestige and even demote us i would like to change my gotra to father of Kaushika, Jmdagni or Bhrigu.

is is okay as Kaushika himself tells un in rig veda that he belong to lineage of Bhrigu and scione of Jamdagni.

so my famiyl tree according to vedic Teditions must be

1) Bhrigu > Jamdagni > Kaushika > Me.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You cannot ignore Kaushika.
Mine is supposed to be Vasishtha > Vyaghrapada > Upamanyu. I can't change that - and there is no need to do that.
Kaushika was a Brahmarshi, the one who first found the Gayatri mantra and led Lord Rama to his marriage. Feel proud of being a Kaushika. He was also a great astronomer. Like Lord Rama, what Kaushika/Vishwamitra did is a legend in Hinduism. Moreover, he was the father of the emperor after whom India is named as 'Bharata' and was an ancestor to the Kuru clan.

Satyamavejayanti

Vedic,
hi all,

Namaste,

Count your self as one of those lucky few who even know their Gotra, and can trace it back to great Risi's of the past. I don't know my Gotra, i cant even trace it back, i don't even know exactly where in India my ancestry is from.

Plus one can't change ones ancestors, some people i know are proud to be the descendants of convicts (Australians who came as convicts from England), they are not ashamed of this at all.

Be proud about your Gotra, because you don't know that what you have is something many others can only wish for.

Dhanyavad

Satyamavejayanti

Why not try to trace your ancestry, Satyam? Or at least the region or the village.

Namaste,

I have uncles who have tried, some have come up with a region of Bihar, but it is all speculative, as the names the early indentured labours used were mostly nick names (ramu, bholu ect) which are not traceable, plus people changes last names in a family, like my grandfather was a Ram, but my dad is Prasad, and my dads bother is chand.

it is almost impossible to trace via the log books of the ships that someone came in, my mothers side does better though, but only because most of them are Arya samjis who keep somewhat of a record, but they still can only trace it to someone catching a boat in Kolkatta.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Which region of Bihar, if you know? The 'Roots' writer could trace his village with just the name of a musical instrument.

Satyamavejayanti

Which region of Bihar, if you know? The 'Roots' writer could trace his village with just the name of a musical instrument.

Namaste,

Well its Bihar because the older generation mostly used to speak the similar type of Hindi, and not much else.
Where in Bihar do they have Kava????..lol
Kava - Wikipedia

Apart from this, i got nothing else.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well its Bihar because the older generation mostly used to speak the similar type of Hindi, and not much else.
Where in Bihar do they have Kava????..lol
Kava - Wikipedia
Biharis do not drink 'kava'. They have the Sattu (satua) preparations, very nourishing and comfort giving in summers. Actually "kava', kehwa' means extract, from Sanskrit 'Kashaya' used in Ayurvedic medicines. See Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit

Yeah, it does not matter but I feel you might be missing something.