• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Intellectual Honesty a Religious Virtue?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Ken, you clearly missed Sunday school - you prove the OP by displaying a stunning absence of intellectual honesty. Paul had a vision of Jesus AFTER the crucifixion - he can not possibly have been an eyewitness - and never even claims to be. He SAW NO MAN Ken, so how exaclty can he be an eye witness buddy? HE DID NOT SEE JESUS.
And your proof is... what? Your saying so doesn't make it valid.

After about a dozen posts, you have yet to provide any empirical and verifiable evidence. You have simply presented your opinion and very dogmatic about it. Almost a flat-earth approach.

How long do you want to continue this format of debate?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
And your proof is... what? Your saying so doesn't make it valid.

After about a dozen posts, you have yet to provide any empirical and verifiable evidence. You have simply presented your opinion and very dogmatic about it. Almost a flat-earth approach.

How long do you want to continue this format of debate?
My proof is the bible Ken, you really should read it. And why on earth are you asking for empirical evidence? There is none - do you even know what' empirical evidence' means Ken?

Paul never met Jesus, he heard a voice and never even claims to have been an eye witness. Read your bible Ken. Pauls conversion came AFTER Jesus was executed.

Kenny

Premium Member
My proof is the bible Ken, you really should read it. And why on earth are you asking for empirical evidence? There is none - do you even know what' empirical evidence' means Ken?

Paul never met Jesus, he heard a voice and never even claims to have been an eye witness. Read your bible Ken. Pauls conversion came AFTER Jesus was executed.
And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutes: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, whatwilt thou have me to do ? And the Lord said unto him, Arise , and go intothe city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do .
7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Let's just say it is up for interpretation. It is the men that journeyed with him that saw no man.

Whether Paul saw him is up for interpretation.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Honesty is what this thread is about.
That's right Ken, amd here you are making a lot of dishonest claims. Paul was not an eye witness to Jesus Ken - read the bible, you will see for yourself. The gospels were written by later authors whose identities are unknown, it was accepted even by the Church many centuries ago that this is the case - the foreward of the KJV explains it in detail.

But sure Ken, this thread is about honesty - so please feel free to continue to make false claims and pretend that anybody correcting you is persecuting the poor believer.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutes: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, whatwilt thou have me to do ? And the Lord said unto him, Arise , and go intothe city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do .
7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Let's just say it is up for interpretation. It is the men that journeyed with him that saw no man.

Whether Paul saw him is up for interpretation.
No Ken, read what you quoted - THEY SAW NO MAN, how can they be eyewitness to something they specifically state that they did not see?

Kenny

Premium Member
No Ken, read what you quoted - THEY SAW NO MAN, how can they be eyewitness to something they specifically state that they did not see?
Bro... you need to reread everything. At this point, all I can say is that you are making mountains out of mole hills.

Kenny

Premium Member
That's right Ken, amd here you are making a lot of dishonest claims. Paul was not an eye witness to Jesus Ken - read the bible, you will see for yourself. The gospels were written by later authors whose identities are unknown, it was accepted even by the Church many centuries ago that this is the case - the foreward of the KJV explains it in detail.

But sure Ken, this thread is about honesty - so please feel free to continue to make false claims and pretend that anybody correcting you is persecuting the poor believer.
All I can reply to your constant insistence... is that to "Put a little love in your heart" - a song of 1969

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Bro... you need to reread everything. At this point, all I can say is that you are making mountains out of mole hills.
Ken - how can a person be an EYE WITNESS to a man who died several years earlier and who he never saw?

SkepticX

ROFL... If that makes you happy
Probably something you should consider, actually.

It's something we all need to consider and remain vigilant about. As with science, I'd argue the most critical aspect of critical thinking is intellectual humility--accepting that we're each, like all humans, quite capable of error and rather talented at fooling ourselves, particularly where we've made an investment. If we don't internalize a healthy degree of doubt regarding our own "raw" (untested or inadequately tested) impressions and perceptions then we're kinda screwed, actually. And the smarter we are the better we tend to be at fooling ourselves, particularly when we can play to a friendly audience that appreciates the smarter affirmation structures that smarter rhetoric provides.

Kenny

Premium Member

It's something we all need to consider and remain vigilant about. As with science, I'd argue the most critical aspect of critical thinking is intellectual humility--accepting that we're each, like all humans, quite capable of error and rather talented at fooling ourselves, particularly where we've made an investment. If we don't internalize a healthy degree of doubt regarding our own "raw" (untested or inadequately tested) impressions and perceptions then we're kinda screwed, actually. And the smarter we are the better we tend to be at fooling ourselves, particularly when we can play to a friendly audience that appreciates the smarter affirmation structures that smarter rhetoric provides.
I wold agree wholeheartedly that we all need to do that. Anyone who needs to be corrected when in error, needs to have it quantified and expressed with real examples and presented to him/her with meekness.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I wold agree wholeheartedly that we all need to do that. Anyone who needs to be corrected when in error, needs to have it quantified and expressed with real examples and presented to him/her with meekness.
One wonders why you fail at your own advice?

Kenny

Premium Member
One wonders why you fail at your own advice?
No one has told me where I have failed--at this point it has only been a matter of opinion on stances that people take in interpretation. A difference in interpretation is not a failure of honesty on either side.

And, as I have mentioned before, documentation would be good. Certainly meekness in presentation hasn't been there either.

As far as failing, I would certainly agree that I am not perfect and fail at living life perfectly. Should it be presented that I failed, as I usually do, I would be happy to ask forgiveness.

Last edited:

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational

But he won't. There are a small number of theists around here who are so cocksure of their beliefs, wrongfully so, that nothing anyone else says means a thing. They are here to preach, not to debate. When their beliefs fail and they are questioned, they just ignore the questions and double down on the blind faith and fanaticism because that's all they have.

It's sad, really.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
No one has told me where I have failed--at this point it has only been a matter of opinion on stances that people take in interpretation. A difference in interpretation is not a failure of honesty on either side.

And, as I have mentioned before, documentation would be good. Certainly meekness in presentation hasn't been there either.

As far as failing, I would certainly agree that I am not perfect and fail at living life perfectly. Should it be presented that I failed, as I usually do, I would be happy to ask forgiveness.
You have not quantified and expressed with real examples that the gospels were written by eye witnesses.

Since meekness is so subjective, I shall not bother with it.