• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God really perfect?

rojse

RF Addict
But those are things we are told not to be , so why did God create the universe? Was there something he needed? Gods from what I understand dont need anything.

They need someone to boss around. It's no good being the God of a barren rock.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think your trying to justify your belifes on what it mean's to be prideful.
I am? First off, I am not trying to justify my beliefs at all. I don't have to justify anything. My belief on what it means to be prideful is based on how Webster's Unabridged Dictionary defines the word. Based on the dictionary meaning of the word, God is not prideful. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with how I personally define the word or what I believe about God.

LogDog

I've heard that the christian God is perfect & can do no wrong.

Have you also heard how this christian god character is an evil, amoral, mentally incompetent sadist?

The bible speaks of God being Jealous & vengeful how can he be perfect & yet hold these traits?

It's all about disregarding those traits and actions that contradict your personal concept of what's moral.

Aasimar

Atheist
I've heard that the christian God is perfect & can do no wrong. I'm sure that this topic has been posted before, but I haven't seen it while I've been a member. At least I dont think I have! :p

The bible speaks of God being Jealous & vengeful how can he be perfect & yet hold these traits? These are human traits are they not? Could it be that God is more human then he lets on? It is said that God does not need anything yet he wants us to follow him isn't wanting something a human need also?

Look left, look right, decide if the world you live in is perfect. If it is, then I suppose the creator might be perfect. If it isn't', he definitely isn't (1 mistake = not perfect.)

Of course it could be argued that our feeble little minds couldn't possibly grasp what perfection is in magically godly terms, but even if that's the case then we can't grasp it therefore we don't know. I'm fairly certain the only logical conclusion that can be drawn is if there were a God, he certainly isn't perfect.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Look left, look right, decide if the world you live in is perfect. If it is, then I suppose the creator might be perfect. If it isn't', he definitely isn't ... .... ....I'm fairly certain the only logical conclusion that can be drawn is if there were a God, he certainly isn't perfect.

Funny, because the world I live in is perfect, but if there were a god, making a perfect world doesn't automatically make him perfect :cool:

Kcnorwood

Have you also heard how this christian god character is an evil, amoral, mentally incompetent sadist?

It's all about disregarding those traits and actions that contradict your personal concept of what's moral.

These are not just anyone's personal idea's but they are society's as well. People are looked down on for having these very trait's your God has. jealousy & being wrathful in the world just does not cut it. A husband who is wrathful & beats his wife is punished by the law for such thing's. And jealousy leads to all sort's of bad thing's killing, stealing, etc.

St0ne

IMO only god can answer that and then only if...

1. God Exists
2. God is perfect

I'm betting you won't get an answer. I feel that if there is a god then what most people feel is gods nature would be far from fact. The most grounded and "good" people I've known who believe in god have a far more intangible idea of what God is than most others.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I've heard that the christian God is perfect & can do no wrong. I'm sure that this topic has been posted before, but I haven't seen it while I've been a member. At least I dont think I have!

God is perfect. yes.

The bible speaks of God being Jealous & vengeful how can he be perfect & yet hold these traits?
Jealosy is an expression meaning he does not allow us to worship things other than Himself. It doesn't mean that he is a redneck who follows his girlfriend around to see where she goes.

Vengefulness can be accomplished justly.

These are human traits are they not?

YUP.

Newsflash - God created man in his image....

Could it be that God is more human then he lets on?

He lets on plenty. It could be that nobody has been paying attention though.

It is said that God does not need anything yet he wants us to follow him isn't wanting something a human need also?

It is said by whom? Are you speaking of a scripture that says this or an opinion?

and no, a want is not the same thing as a need.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Look left, look right, decide if the world you live in is perfect. If it is, then I suppose the creator might be perfect. If it isn't', he definitely isn't (1 mistake = not perfect.)

Of course it could be argued that our feeble little minds couldn't possibly grasp what perfection is in magically godly terms, but even if that's the case then we can't grasp it therefore we don't know. I'm fairly certain the only logical conclusion that can be drawn is if there were a God, he certainly isn't perfect.

You would be wrong. :)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I forgot about your stranglehold on truth, forgive me.

:biglaugh:

Actually it was you who was claiming the stranglehold on truth when you said this:

aasimar said:
"I'm fairly certain the only logical conclusion that can be drawn is ..."

I was saying there there are other logical conclusions to be drawn. (which would mean you are wrong...)

Funny how you thought it was the other way around eh? :rolleyes:

BTW- I forgive you for misunderstanding my statement and your own statement.

Aasimar

Atheist
How come you didn't highlight in bold "I'm fairly certain"... Oh that's right, because that shows the possibility I allowed for being wrong. This is of course opposed to responding with "You would be wrong," a blanket statement saying "If you draw this conclusion, you are wrong." Which of course isn't backed up by a reason why. Just you're wrong. Which leads me too believe you have a good reason to believe that the conclusion I drew was wrong. Which is?...

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
How come you didn't highlight in bold "I'm fairly certain"... Oh that's right, because that shows the possibility I allowed for being wrong. This is of course opposed to responding with "You would be wrong," a blanket statement saying "If you draw this conclusion, you are wrong." Which of course isn't backed up by a reason why. Just you're wrong. Which leads me too believe you have a good reason to believe that the conclusion I drew was wrong. Which is?...

There are other logical conclusions of course.

TurkeyOnRye

I'd say that this topic is kind of pointless without actually defining perfection. This is all just a question of semantics.

On a side-note, I would like to point out that sometimes Jehovah gives off the impression that he's a raging alcoholic.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I'd say that this topic is kind of pointless without actually defining perfection. This is all just a question of semantics.

That is why this debate will never go anywhere. Perfection is a subjective term. It is like debating who is the most beautiful in the world.

Ozzie

I've heard that the christian God is perfect & can do no wrong. I'm sure that this topic has been posted before, but I haven't seen it while I've been a member. At least I dont think I have! :p

The bible speaks of God being Jealous & vengeful how can he be perfect & yet hold these traits? These are human traits are they not? Could it be that God is more human then he lets on? It is said that God does not need anything yet he wants us to follow him isn't wanting something a human need also?
Why can't god have these traits and still be perfect? Perfection does not exist per se. Only various levels of better or worse exist. If God is just an anthropogenic projection of an atypical human biological life in an accidental cultural milieu, why can't "human" traits be attributed to God without questioning the perfection of that existance?