• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God biast?

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Assuming a grand deity existed, woud he be biast or skewed in any specific direction? If so, to what extent, and regarding what? Would this be an unacceptable flaw for 'him'?

For example, a cheetah is very well developed to catch an antelope. An antelope is very well developed to evade a cheetah. The cruelty of nature dictates one will fail. If there was a God responsible for both animals' existance, would he be showing any biast between them? What about species extinction on a more general view? E.g. Tasmanian wolf, or Dodo?

Theres one example to kick off.
Lets hear some views/ideas and more examples to challenge :)

Heneni

Miss Independent
There are food chains and food webs to sort out any bias. It seems that (without the interference of man) it all should be working quite nicely towards the survival of all species.

If a particular specie becomes extinct, the reasons for such is not a decision by god but rather because of a change in environment, unless that specie can evolve to survive in the new environment, but environments can change too quickly to allow for such.

Dont think God is biased. You want to elaborate a bit more so I can understand better what you are debating?

Love
Heneni

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
There are food chains and food webs to sort out any bias. It seems that (without the interference of man) it all should be working quite nicely towards the survival of all species.

The number of extinct species greatly outnumber the ones still active. Also individual survival cant exist for all creatures. Some must fail, so the fittest survive. Im just curious where theist place God in such situations.

If a particular specie becomes extinct, the reasons for such is not a decision by god but rather because of a change in environment, unless that specie can evolve to survive in the new environment, but environments can change too quickly to allow for such.

Yep thats the point of on going evolution, to adapt to the everchanging enviroment. But as far as God is concerned, surely he is responsible for both species and enviroments? Once again i would just like to see a theistic interpretation of such events.

Dont think God is biased. You want to elaborate a bit more so I can understand better what you are debating?

What im taking about is indeffinately going to be a bit broad, but boils down to me being interested in Theistic points of view regarding the nature of God with regards to the difficulties of life, such as species survival (which was my initial example to attempt to narrow it down :)).

Heneni

Miss Independent
The number of extinct species greatly outnumber the ones still active. Also individual survival cant exist for all creatures.

Thankfully there are a number of new species found everyday.

Some must fail, so the fittest survive. Im just curious where theist place God in such situations.

The fittest must survive to gaurentee life to continue, does not matter in which form. No bias from God there. God is biased toward life continuing.

Yep thats the point of on going evolution, to adapt to the everchanging enviroment. But as far as God is concerned, surely he is responsible for both species and enviroments? Once again i would just like to see a theistic interpretation of such events.

God created everything and said it was good, he created the laws which would gaurentee life. Physical and spiritual. Man is responsible for the environment we are suppose to keep the balance here and not suppose to disturb it.

You are wondering whether God engineers the extinction of a specie? Its possible that he could, but I dont think he does. Simply because when he finished creation, he said it was all GOOD. The extinction of one specie means the rise of another. The only thing is the extinction of for example the leopard does not mean the rise of another specie of leopard. If the only thing that does not become extinct is a virus, then that virus is still life. So God is always biased towards life.

The gaurentee of mans survival on this planet lies within those that have the life of God in them. Since the children of god are the fittest between men, they are the ones that will survive. Im sure that statement must agrivate a few people. :cover: But the survival of the children of god,gaurentees the survival of the rest of the specie's so then nature does still select the fittest to survive, in order to gaurentee life.

Another specie of human is not on the horison.

Love
heneni

its only humans who are bias. All the eco systeems are balanced the only out of balance eco systeem is the human one since it went from part of eco systeem to ruler of several.
Without humans the balance of kill/eat/reproduce/eat/kill/eat/die would continue instead of kill eat get flatend by a car/home destroyed and die

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
:p
The fittest must survive to gaurentee life to continue, does not matter in which form. No bias from God there. God is biased toward life continuing.
So your idea of God is biast towards the general existance of life. But he does not have preferences between different forms of life? Are humans more important for example? (seeing as u refere to us as children of god later on in your post).

God created everything and said it was good, he created the laws which would gaurentee life. Physical and spiritual. Man is responsible for the environment we are suppose to keep the balance here and not suppose to disturb it.
Things change and develop over time, from gaseous activity to the presense of water, to single celled organisms, to plantlife, animals etc. Whatever god created and said 'was good', is nothing like what we see around us today. Plus humans wernt around from day one, so they cant have been 'responsible' since life began.

You are wondering whether God engineers the extinction of a specie? Its possible that he could, but I dont think he does. Simply because when he finished creation, he said it was all GOOD. The extinction of one specie means the rise of another. The only thing is the extinction of for example the leopard does not mean the rise of another specie of leopard. If the only thing that does not become extinct is a virus, then that virus is still life. So God is always biased towards life.

New species emerge all the time, and others perish just the same. When exactly did God say 'it was all good'? What species was he looking at? (species used loosly there:p).

The gaurentee of mans survival on this planet lies within those that have the life of God in them. Since the children of god are the fittest between men, they are the ones that will survive. Im sure that statement must agrivate a few people. :cover: But the survival of the children of god,gaurentees the survival of the rest of the specie's so then nature does still select the fittest to survive, in order to gaurentee life.

So you think belief in God is beneficial to survival? Thats a new one lol
At what point in our evolution did the belief in God become a nessessity?

p.s. do you accept evolution, or are you fairly hard core creationist? Im slightly confused where u stand:p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I certainly don't believe for a second that God is biased. There are less cheetahs than there are antelope. The same is true for any carnivore vs. herbivore.

Heneni

Miss Independent
When God created everything he said it was good. I always have in the back of my mind not the physical things he created, but the laws that he put in place to sustain life.

So that is all the laws of the universe, physical laws, thermodynamic laws, all chemistry laws...stuff like that.

He created these laws, and everything has been running on these laws.

So when he finished creating he said it was good, because all the laws that would govern this earth and universe, would mean the survival of life.

Now if god created a plant back then, and that plant died out, another plant has taken its place. Or another live form all together.

And this would not have been possible unless evolution is possible.

So god created evolution. Since it would gaurentee the survival of creation through many centuries. But evolution did not start before the creation. So god created everything and then if one specie evolved, it was because he designed it to do that. Everything that he created, every law he created, every principle he created, was biased towards life.

Now as far as humans are concerned. Humans dont evolve. I dont believe we evolved from a monkey. So if a catastrophe had to happen, we are not going to crawl under a rock, and years later emerge as a scorpion. The only way humans can survive is by being saved. A meteorite could destroy the whole of the earth minus man, and life will appear again, since the laws which he put in place to govern this planet, would ensure the emerging of life. But we on the other hand, if we are wiped out, we wont be emerging again. So the only way to have true life, is through God, and he created us under those principles and under those laws. We are nothing without God. We are not evolving. Unless we have the life of God in us we have no hope to live again. Hence we are the only specie that need to be saved in order to gaurentee our survival.

Love
Heneni

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
I certainly don't believe for a second that God is biased. There are less cheetahs than there are antelope. The same is true for any carnivore vs. herbivore.

Yes true, biomass pyramids do show that well. But what about individual hardship. I mean some inevitably fail and die in the cruel world of nature. Where is your god in terms of that? Does he not interfere and just let stuff happen, and whatever creatures are unlucky enough to fail, tough luck?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes true, biomass pyramids do show that well. But what about individual hardship. I mean some inevitably fail and die in the cruel world of nature. Where is your god in terms of that? Does he not interfere and just let stuff happen, and whatever creatures are unlucky enough to fail, tough luck?

With all due respect, you seem to be putting human thinking into these animals. They can't analyze what is happening, if they could they would not eat each other. I am not saying that animals are less than humans-- I would never say that. I am not saying that I don't love animals, I do. It is the way the world was created. Mr. Spock said this once on Star Trek "Everyone feeds on death, even vegetarians".

Besides that, humans kill each other, too and they don't do it for food but out of cruelty and for justice (so they say)

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
With all due respect, you seem to be putting human thinking into these animals. They can't analyze what is happening, if they could they would not eat each other. I am not saying that animals are less than humans-- I would never say that. I am not saying that I don't love animals, I do. It is the way the world was created. Mr. Spock said this once on Star Trek "Everyone feeds on death, even vegetarians".

Besides that, humans kill each other, too and they don't do it for food but out of cruelty and for justice (so they say)

Id say that animals can sense danger, and threat of life loss. Whether they understand the concept of death itself is unlikely, but hell neither do we really:p.
Anyway, even so, an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful god would see these trials of life and death no? As in my initial example, who will be successfull out of the antelope and the cheetah in an isolated situation? (ignoreing overall stats of numbers)
Does god have any part to play? Does he care? Same applies to your justice/cruelty killings too.

My overall point really, is that the world exists exactly as would be expected without a god. In a godless world, these events, strife for survival, justice and cruelty are expectable and understandable.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Id say that animals can sense danger, and threat of life loss. Whether they understand the concept of death itself is unlikely, but hell neither do we really:p.
Anyway, even so, an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful god would see these trials of life and death no? As in my initial example, who will be successfull out of the antelope and the cheetah in an isolated situation? (ignoreing overall stats of numbers)
Does god have any part to play? Does he care? Same applies to your justice/cruelty killings too.

My overall point really, is that the world exists exactly as would be expected without a god. In a godless world, these events, strife for survival, justice and cruelty are expectable and understandable.

The universe would collapse if the laws that uphold it are not longer upheld. God is the one upholding it all, so i dont expect the world to be the same if god had to remove himself from creation.

The thing is humans have been able to figure out why certain things work the way they do. And we understand why laws are necessary because without it there will not be any order.

The universe is organised chaos, simply because the laws that uphold it is making it work the way it does. It looks like chaos but there is complete order. Without the laws that uphold the universe, the universe would completely collapse. Its the laws of the universe that keep things going, and we cant control those laws, we never made them.

Love
Heneni

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
The universe would collapse if the laws that uphold it are not longer upheld. God is the one upholding it all, so i dont expect the world to be the same if god had to remove himself from creation.

The thing is humans have been able to figure out why certain things work the way they do. And we understand why laws are necessary because without it there will not be any order.

The universe is organised chaos, simply because the laws that uphold it is making it work the way it does. It looks like chaos but there is complete order. Without the laws that uphold the universe, the universe would completely collapse. Its the laws of the universe that keep things going, and we cant control those laws, we never made them.

Love
Heneni

Laws require a judge. We make the laws, in our attempt to organise the chaos. Laws are useful descriptions of our enviroment. In a universe without life, theres no colour, no smells, no sound and no feeling. There is no judge to analyse the surroundings, things are just existing.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Hi alex

Humans know why laws are necessary. To help maintain order.

Its the same way god created the laws of the universe. To maintain order.

God is the judge of all of his creation, but he does not judge them according to the physical universal laws, he judges humans by spiritual laws.

Even in that way god is pro life! Always biast towards life.

heneni

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
ah im affraid i dont agree with you. Your argument is based on the prerequisite that God allready exists, and i cant relate to that. Without the proof, i have to assume there is no god/stay neutral. Ideas like laws, and order extend only as far as the human mind, and to say otherwise is entering into the area of blind statements. But i would like to hear why you think your correct in assuming theres a god judging everything, and creating order and laws in the universe.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Its simple really
On this planet we are at the top of the pecking order

We cant change the laws that govern the universe, we cant even create new universal laws,so there must be something above us in the pecking order. GOD.

A fish living in a fish bowl can only see that which is in his bowl, that is his universe, but if it was able to jump out of the bowl it will see there are many other things out there.

We are living in a fish bowl.

Heneni

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Its simple really
On this planet we are at the top of the pecking order

We cant change the laws that govern the universe, we cant even create new universal laws,so there must be something above us in the pecking order. GOD.

A fish living in a fish bowl can only see that which is in his bowl, that is his universe, but if it was able to jump out of the bowl it will see there are many other things out there.

We are living in a fish bowl.

Heneni

Yes we are like a fish in a fishbowl. But it would be unwise for the fish to assume theres a giant fish controling everything outside of the bowl. God to me just seems to be an anthropomorphic image some people understandable have for the unknown. Like you said, god is being compared with ouselves by putting him on a 'pecking order', that he would control things via laws, and would require order. These are textbook human methods of dealing with things, and if there is indeed a God, im sure he'd be so far beyond our comprehension, and any simple ideas we can imagine.

Heneni

Miss Independent
If there is a god, I think he would make every effort to reveal himself to his creation.

I think its reasonable to assume that since we cannot recreate all that we
live in here in this fishbowl there must be a higher intelligence responsible for such.

Its completely reasonable to believe that since everything here is in a pecking order, we must be in one too.

If we are really at the top of the universe pecking order, we should be able to create such, and we cant.

We are different to animals in the sense that we can reason in ways that they cant, we can manipulate things like they cant, in fact there is little that humans havent been able to manipulate, but they can only manipulate within the laws of the universe that is already there. Humans cant create new universal laws, so we are confined within this universe in a way that does not allow us to exist outside of those laws. So if you like the universe is of higher intelligence then we are.

I know that God created all of this, and it seems pretty unreasonable to think that all of this is just 'being' without anyone making it be.

Sometimes people just look for an excuse to make God go away, but if we wish hard enough it wont make it happen.

Life would not continue to exist unless there was a being that was pro-life. If that being wasnt biased towards life.

The universal laws are biased towards life.

Heneni