• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is genesis 8:21 a fallacy?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
we? who...the hebrews or the xians?
Both. It's a very ancient story that was included in the corpus of early myth, but it just doesn't jive with either the later Hebraic concept of God, or the Xians concept of God -- or ours.
now this gets confusing...
why can't this tradition which claims to be truth be more straightforward instead of vague and ambiguous full of loop holes and inconsistency?
You're wanting to make this all one story, with consistent plot, narrative, characters, setting, etc. You're also wanting to make it theologically homogenous. But it's neither. The Bible contains many different traditions and stories that don't always jive with each other. The theology is multivalent because the cultures represented in the compilation are several. You've been listening to too many fundies who've been saying that the Bible is "the story of salvation." That's true to a point. The Bible is the library of salvation-history of the Hebraic and Judeo-xian peoples. Those peoples comprise several cultural understandings. The Bible (to the chagrin of the fundies) does not portray a single tradition or a single theology. it attempts to pull together all the known traditions and theologies of the Hebraic and Xian people.
i think i see what is happening...
you do not take this OT story literally... but again, there are plenty of people who do...
Of course not. It's cultural myth -- not a history lesson.

waitasec

Veteran Member
There's no contradiction. God knows all except for the choices made by individuals, under certain circumstances.
you realize what you did here don't you? god knows all except...?
:areyoucra
what is all this about anyway...? you claim it is all about our choices...
according to you god knew he would have to send his son (it was prophesied in the OT) because of the choices we made yet he doesn't know what the choices will be on an individual basis?
interesting logic you have there...

And you didn't copy and paste the whole passage. Cherry picking words in passages and taking them out of context to disguise its true meaning? You know better, waitasec.
oh come on now...you knew exactly what passage i was talking about :rolleyes:
it's in the OP. but if it makes you feel better i will post everything with emphasis to make my point crystal clear:

you said:
This is a general statement of observation from past behavior not a prediction of future behavior. Perceiving humanity had an inclination for evil is by no means an indication they would choose to continue in it.

genesis 8:20,21
20 Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though[a] every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

you are not reading the passage correctly..."never again will i....even though every inclination..."
so no, it's not based on past behavior but on predicting our behavior based on every inclination is evil...

here is the passage in it's full context....did i really cherry pick? :no:

According to the world's definition and your interpretation of the word, the answer is no,
exactly, the god in the bible is not omniscient, just as i thought...
according to the worlds definition will suffice...it's the only one that is understood.

therefore your OP is refuted.
i'm sorry, did i miss something?

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Both. It's a very ancient story that was included in the corpus of early myth, but it just doesn't jive with either the later Hebraic concept of God, or the Xians concept of God -- or ours.

You're wanting to make this all one story, with consistent plot, narrative, characters, setting, etc. You're also wanting to make it theologically homogenous. But it's neither. The Bible contains many different traditions and stories that don't always jive with each other. The theology is multivalent because the cultures represented in the compilation are several. You've been listening to too many fundies who've been saying that the Bible is "the story of salvation." That's true to a point. The Bible is the library of salvation-history of the Hebraic and Judeo-xian peoples. Those peoples comprise several cultural understandings. The Bible (to the chagrin of the fundies) does not portray a single tradition or a single theology. it attempts to pull together all the known traditions and theologies of the Hebraic and Xian people.
oh i understand and agree with what you say...but if you happened to notice my discourse with james2ko...he's exactly the type of believer i am thinking about when i present the bible to be understood as one story with consistent plot, narrative, characters and setting.
Of course not. It's cultural myth -- not a history lesson.
tell that to the fundamentalist christian right who seem to be the majority of believers...
actually i'm sure you have...

sojourner

oh i understand and agree with what you say...but if you happened to notice my discourse with james2ko...he's exactly the type of believer i am thinking about when i present the bible to be understood as one story with consistent plot, narrative, characters and setting.
Why do you put yourself under such fruitless duress, when you could be discoursing with ... me?
tell that to the fundamentalist christian right who seem to be the majority of believers...
actually i'm sure you have...
Overnadoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandover... und soweiter...

Last edited:

sojourner

well i should have said i know what you mean by how you approach xy...i just don't understand it.
You seem open to understanding it -- even if you disagree with it.
you must be exhausted...
My forehead is soft from having banged it so much...

james2ko

:areyoucra what is all this about anyway...? you claim it is all about our choices...according to you god knew he would have to send his son (it was prophesied in the OT) because of the choices we made yet he doesn't know what the choices will be on an individual basis? ..

1. Again, only under certain circumstances. God who sees all-- even the intent of our heart, which we sometimes do not know ourselves- can probably predict many of the choices we make similar to how a parent can often predict a young child's choices. Yet the Bible reveals God does arrange circumstances to challenge our character, in order for us to grow, where the outcome is not predictable.

: interesting logic you have there.

2. If there's faulty logic involved, then please enlighten us on the specific type of fallacy the scenario represents.

you realize what you did here don't you? god knows all except...?

3. Yes I do. And I'm sure you realize this answer totally disproves your OP from the pages of the book you once cherished. Our primary objective, right?

oh come on now...you knew exactly what passage i was talking about :rolleyes: it's in the OP. but if it makes you feel better i will post everything with emphasis to make my point crystal clear:

genesis 8:20,21 20 Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though[a] every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

here is the passage in it's full context....did i really cherry pick? :no:

4. My apologies for not seeing the logic behind repeating a passage that was refuted..

exactly, the god in the bible is not omniscient, just as i thought...according to the worlds definition will suffice...it's the only one that is understood.

5. Not according to the bible. Its definition of omniscience is the one that really counts, which as I recall, you agreed to use as a literal reference for the purposes of this discussion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
1. Again, only under certain circumstances. God who sees all-- even the intent of our heart, which we sometimes do not know ourselves- can probably predict many of the choices we make similar to how a parent can often predict a young child's choices. Yet the Bible reveals God does arrange circumstances to challenge our character, in order for us to grow, where the outcome is not predictable.
why do you insist he sees all?
2. If there's faulty logic involved, then please enlighten us on the specific type of fallacy the scenario represents.
i did...
genesis 1
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

genesis 6:5 The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground for I regret that I have made them.[/COLOR]”

8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

the fallacy is god is the creator of everything except evil.
where else did evil come from? and why would he expect a different outcome after wiping humanity off the earth while letting some alcoholic dude become the 2nd adam as it where...

why not just start all over? but alas we are here aren't we...:rolleyes:

3. Yes I do. And I'm sure you realize this answer totally disproves your OP from the pages of the book you once cherished. Our primary objective, right?
lets not go there shall we. we are discussing ideology and putting forward arguments that support them, not my past...which really has nothing to do with the tea in china...so please refrain from throwing out ad hominems. thank you.

you said:
There's no contradiction. God knows all except for the choices made by individuals, under certain circumstances.
if that is the case...then god doesn't know all, the "certain circumstances" falls under "all"...knowing all is inclusive of everything...

what does this mean to you?

ecclesiastes 1
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?

people are people...they are inclined to do the same things over and over again...and according to god every inclination is evil, so why should he be surprised that the same evil will eventually pop up it's head again...? why not destroy the entire human race and start over again? but alas we are here aren't we...:rolleyes:
and the idea of sending a messiah to save his creation is only indicating that he was deeply troubled yet again...
so no. the god in the bible isn't all knowing...he operates very much like we do... in a linear fashion...

4. My apologies for not seeing the logic behind repeating a passage that was refuted..
well obviously it wasn't...

5. Not according to the bible. Its definition of omniscience is the one that really counts, which as I recall, you agreed to use as a literal reference for the purposes of this discussion.
you can't redefine words in order to back up a claim. that is where i draw the line. use a different word that can describe what you mean then.
omniscient is the capacity to know everything infinitely-wiki
having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight-merrriam webster
no where in these 2 definitions does it say, under certain circumstances.
so i suggest you use a different word...because that is what this word means.

besides i like to see how you can reconcile your idea with this psalm

44:21 would not God have discovered it,
since he knows the secrets of the heart?

or

jeremiah 17 (where god is seen as one who understands our intentions more than we do)
9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?
10 “I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward each person according to their conduct,
according to what their deeds deserve.”

and 1 corinthians 2:

9 However, as it is written:
“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

by redefining words no less...

Last edited:
You must take into consideration the fact that these people lived to 700-900 years. That is a long time of spending your time in sin! Adam and Eve were created perfect--which means they used 100% of their brain. Have you seen the incredible things that savants do? Well, imagine these people as all savants (no idiot part)-They had an enormous intellect. However, great intellect and wisdom do not always go together. People have a tendency to view these first people sitting around the campfire in their animal skins grunting while chewing on bones. They made Einstein look like a first grader. Now, can you imagine a Hitler, a Jeffrey Dahmer and anyone else of that nature living to be 800 years!!! And they bred like rabbits. I know personally of one little Mexican lady who had 0ver 20 children, I nearly fell off my chair! She gave birth to 22, one died. Now that's just in a short life span--let's say she started spitting them out at around 15and stopped around 40 something. That's about 25 some years. These people lived to be over 800, even if they didn't start producing till they were around 200--let's say they stopped at around 600--that's 400 years of spitting out children that followed in their parents steps---so now you're talking about several hundred, ot thousand, Hitlers, and Dahmers and other violent, evil people who rejected God and lived only for their pleasure!! And that's just in one family!! Yah--God said enough. And those that survived,Noah and his children, their offspring had much shorter and shorter lives--less time to do all that carnage. and their brain power was also diminished. People are forever wondering how the pyramids and other stuff got built and even propose that alliens did them!--Those first peoples had enormous brain power and who knows how much info Noah had and his children that they passed on and as they scattered over the world these nuggets of ancient knowledge got passed on and then only passed on to the "higher Ups"--knowledge is power and as soon as knowledge is withheld from all, then only a few know , which means they have more power,but if something happens before they pass that info on, then it is lost.

waitasec

Veteran Member
You must take into consideration the fact that these people lived to 700-900 years. That is a long time of spending your time in sin!
according to you or according to the infinite god of the bible?

Adam and Eve were created perfect--which means they used 100% of their brain.
yet without the knowledge of good and evil...

Have you seen the incredible things that savants do? Well, imagine these people as all savants (no idiot part)-They had an enormous intellect.
i'm sorry i have no idea what you are talking about.

However, great intellect and wisdom do not always go together. People have a tendency to view these first people sitting around the campfire in their animal skins grunting while chewing on bones. They made Einstein look like a first grader.
thats right...we are the center of the universe...:rolleyes:

Now, can you imagine a Hitler, a Jeffrey Dahmer and anyone else of that nature living to be 800 years!!!
well i used to believe in the sadistic tryanical dictator eternal supreme being, so yes i can.

These people lived to be over 800, even if they didn't start producing till they were around 200--let's say they stopped at around 600--that's 400 years of spitting out children that followed in their parents steps---so now you're talking about several hundred, ot thousand, Hitlers, and Dahmers and other violent, evil people who rejected God and lived only for their pleasure!! And that's just in one family!!
after this little rant i am wondering how it is you can reconcile that people are living longer today then ever before...but that is neither here or there, do you have a point to make or are you just full of strawmen arguments?

Yah--God said enough. And those that survived,Noah and his children, their offspring had much shorter and shorter lives--less time to do all that carnage.
so i guess time plays a big part in the decision making process for an infinite being...

People are forever wondering how the pyramids and other stuff got built and even propose that alliens did them!--Those first peoples had enormous brain power and who knows how much info Noah had and his children that they passed on and as they scattered over the world these nuggets of ancient knowledge got passed on and then only passed on to the "higher Ups"--knowledge is power and as soon as knowledge is withheld from all, then only a few know , which means they have more power,but if something happens before they pass that info on, then it is lost.

1st off there is absolutely NO evidence of a world wide flood...
other wise we'd see kangaroo, penguin and polar bear fossils in the middle east.
2nd...this biblical idea of a personal god seems awfully indifferent...

why not start all over again, if god was will to commit mass murder..?
he did it once before, he could most certainly do it again...ahh, we are here now aren't we, and you want to know why.... actually that isn't right...you know why... interestingly enough it's just an easy explanation from the higher ups to control the masses.

sojourner

You must take into consideration the fact that these people lived to 700-900 years.
No they didn't. Literary hyperbole.
Adam and Eve were created perfect--which means they used 100% of their brain.
No they weren't. They were created in God's image. There's a difference. The image isn't perfect. It's an image.

Why does "created perfect" translate into "used 100% of their brains?"
People have a tendency to view these first people sitting around the campfire in their animal skins grunting while chewing on bones. They made Einstein look like a first grader. Now, can you imagine a Hitler, a Jeffrey Dahmer and anyone else of that nature living to be 800 years!!! And they bred like rabbits. I know personally of one little Mexican lady who had 0ver 20 children, I nearly fell off my chair! She gave birth to 22, one died. Now that's just in a short life span--let's say she started spitting them out at around 15and stopped around 40 something. That's about 25 some years. These people lived to be over 800, even if they didn't start producing till they were around 200--let's say they stopped at around 600--that's 400 years of spitting out children that followed in their parents steps---so now you're talking about several hundred, ot thousand, Hitlers, and Dahmers and other violent, evil people who rejected God and lived only for their pleasure!! And that's just in one family!! Yah--God said enough. And those that survived,Noah and his children, their offspring had much shorter and shorter lives--less time to do all that carnage. and their brain power was also diminished. People are forever wondering how the pyramids and other stuff got built and even propose that alliens did them!--Those first peoples had enormous brain power and who knows how much info Noah had and his children that they passed on and as they scattered over the world these nuggets of ancient knowledge got passed on and then only passed on to the "higher Ups"--knowledge is power and as soon as knowledge is withheld from all, then only a few know , which means they have more power,but if something happens before they pass that info on, then it is lost.
This is fodder for a sublimely mediocre science fiction "B" movie -- made for television.
Nothing more.

hmmm---interesting denial of reqality. Not to worry---God won't force anyone to be with Him. Deny all you want, there has been proof of a flood--there are sea shells aqnd other sea fossils on top of mountains--you are not up to date on the latest geographical findings. Little by little the scientists have and still are dicovering that the answer to their questions is a world wide flood. First they just said there was no flood, then they upgraded to several very large floods, then to several much larger floods----scientists change their tunes all the time. If you can't figure out how a perfect brain translates into using 100% of it, then you are obviously not using very much of yours. They were created in His image--they were created perfect and used 100% of the brain given them---they were not cloned, so they did not and we never will have the brain power of God. Literary hyperbole??--Gads, you don't believe in the Bible so why are you even debating?? Why are you here?? Are you so in need of having your un-believing rhetoric in print that you go where there is no need of you??? Have you no one to laugh at besides believers?? There is enough proof of God and the flood and all that is in the Bible--not my fault you do not see it, that's your choice. There is a very large stella in a museum in Egypt (I think, I might have the wrong country) where is depicted the crossing of the Israelites over the water and the subsequent drowning of the Egyptian army---it's right there, you do not have to even have a knowledge of Eqyptian hyrogliphecs to understand what it is depicting--but the scientists say it can't possibly be about that as that's all just a story so they refuse to believe what they see. We choose what we want to believe, I choose to believe in the bible and in my God. You are not going to change my mind, I am not going to change yours. I guess I missunderstood what this place is. I thought it was beoievers talking with other believers--I guess not. God and the bible is a reality that can only be experienced, it can't be forced on someone who does not wish to see it, believe in it much less live it.

The Psalms are not depressing--they are filled with joy, redemption,forgiveness,love and praise and even some phrophecy---God loves joy--He wants us to be happy--but there are so many people who think God is about doom and gloom--that's what they see, 'cause that's who they are. Then one day, sometimes, they really let God in and they see the joy that has been there all along. Your blindness is of your own making.

sojourner

Literary hyperbole??--Gads, you don't believe in the Bible so why are you even debating?? Why are you here?? Are you so in need of having your un-believing rhetoric in print that you go where there is no need of you??? Have you no one to laugh at besides believers??
I never said I didn't believe in the Bible -- I merely believe it for what it is -- not for what it is not. You're waaaaaaaaay off base here.
There is enough proof of God and the flood and all that is in the Bible
In a pig's eye...
I choose to believe in the bible and in my God.
Bully for you!
You are not going to change my mind, I am not going to change yours.
Not trying to change your mind, but when you print blather, I'm going to point it out.
I guess I missunderstood what this place is. I thought it was beoievers talking with other believers--I guess not.
I guess so. This is a debate forum, where believers can debate with other believers -- or with non-believers, if such is the case.
God and the bible is a reality that can only be experienced,
Wait a minute! I thought you just said that:
There is enough proof of God and the flood and all that is in the Bible
Yep! you did say it! Apparently, then, not only can the Bible be "experienced," there is also "enough proof."
The Psalms are not depressing--they are filled with joy, redemption,forgiveness,love and praise and even some phrophecy---God loves joy--He wants us to be happy--but there are so many people who think God is about doom and gloom--that's what they see, 'cause that's who they are.
It's a spoof. But you're so busy being peckish that it blew right past you.
Then one day, sometimes, they really let God in and they see the joy that has been there all along. Your blindness is of your own making.
You have no idea who you're talking to, do you?

It's great that you're passionate about the Bible, but my guess is you'd get more out of it by treating it for what it is -- not for what you want it to be.

I treat it for what it is---you treat it as balogny,as story, a fable--to me reality--to you science fiction, yes, there is enough proof for you to experience the reality of it---Yes, I do know who I'm talking to---I know you---I've known you my whole life---you have never understood me, never will.

waitasec

Veteran Member
hmmm---interesting denial of reqality. Not to worry---God won't force anyone to be with Him.
sure if you ignore ultimatums...

Deny all you want, there has been proof of a flood--there are sea shells aqnd other sea fossils on top of mountains--you are not up to date on the latest geographical findings.
:biglaugh:
that doesn't prove a world wide flood captain
however, if they found kangaroo fossils in the middle east...

sojourner

I treat it for what it is---you treat it as balogny,as story, a fable
No, your treat it as a history report. I treat it as mythic allegory (which is what it is). It's neither "baloney" or "fable." It's myth that transmits truth.
to me reality--to you science fiction,
It's your explanation of it that constitutes science fiction -- not the story itself.
I know you---I've known you my whole life
MK...
(Dare I open this can o' worms?)
Who am I?
you have never understood me, never will.
Well, since I've not wasted any of my time to make the attempt, I'm not surprised -- nor do I pretend that I do.