• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity polytheistic?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

For me, the short answer is: maybe!

But what do you think?

I get that each element is supposed to be a part of a greater unified whole - the triune Godhead

And yes, there can only be one Godhead

And I get that The Holy Trinity is three persons who are consubstantial with one another

But I cannot help but think that this amounts to polytheism!

Here they are (in no particular order):

jesusking.jpg
Here's one member

Holyspirit.png
Here's another

godfather.jpg
And here's the third

As I said, I get that these three distinct persons are of one essence

But I am beginning to think that the word "polytheistic" covers Christianity better than "monotheistic"

But I still believe in this:

trinity.png

It's just that I think this arrangement amounts to Polytheism

(And I don't deny The Trinity)​

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I do believe in One God.
That is why I believe Jesus is God, because if we say He is the Son of God (as Apollo was Zeus's son), we can let others suspect the Trinity is polytheism.
It is a theological mystery, but I believe God is still one.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I do believe in One God.
That is why I believe Jesus is God, because if we say He is the Son of God (as Apollo was Zeus's son), we can let others suspect the Trinity is polytheism.
It is a theological mystery, but I believe God is still one.
On balance I also believe in one God

But imagine a husband and a wife. Are they two people or one couple??? It's the same problem with the Holy Trinity and its three members!

Sometimes they are two people (e.g. each has their own passport) yet sometimes they are one (e.g. they have a joint bank account) - whether there is two or one depends on the circumstances!

So I think it can be argued either way

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I have used this before but it is the greatest example since we know that our persons is not poly-person
Presentation1.jpg

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have used this before but it is the greatest example since we know that our persons is not poly-personView attachment 47576
Hi Ken,

I see your avatar is a pic of you and your wife:

Are you one couple who are made up of two persons or two persons who are parts of one couple? What way round do you see it?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

But what do you think?

I get that each element is supposed to be a part of a greater unified whole - the triune Godhead

And I get that The Holy Trinity is three persons who are consubstantial with one another

View attachment 47572
Here's one member

View attachment 47573
Here's another

View attachment 47574
And here's the third

But I am beginning to think that the word "polytheistic" covers Christianity better than "monotheistic"

View attachment 47575

No

Kenny

Premium Member
Hi Ken,

I see your avatar is a pic of you and your wife:

Are you one couple who are made up of two persons or two persons who are parts of one couple? What way round do you see it?

The difference, Eddi, is that my wife and I are not God. :)

But if you look at my body, it is the expressed image of my spirit (from what I understand) - one person but two different expressions...

Colossians 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The difference, Eddi, is that my wife and I are not God. :)

But if you look at my body, it is the expressed image of my spirit (from what I understand) - one person but two different expressions...

Colossians 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
LOL, no, you're not!

But don't you think that a married couple and the Godhead are analogous? In that each can be taken as being either a collective unified entity or as a group/couple of individual entities?

I think it makes more sense to think of a married couple as being two entities, not one entity in two halves, and I believe the same applies to the triune Godhead

But granted, the analogy breaks down as a married couple are not of the same substnace in the same way as The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit are

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If Christanity is polytheistic, would that make it pagan?
If I understand correctly, the concept of "pagan" began with the early Christians, to describe those who were neither Christian or Jewish

So no, I'd say it wouldn't

Kenny

Premium Member
LOL, no, you're not!

But don't you think that a married couple and the Godhead are analogous? In that each can be taken as being either a collective unified entity or as a group/couple of individual entities?

I think it makes more sense to think of a married couple as being two entities, not one entity in two halves, and I believe the same applies to the triune Godhead

But granted, the analogy breaks down as a married couple are not of the same substnace in the same way as The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit are

I agree that it is analogous... but all analogies fall short to actual equality.

The man in the marriage is analogous to Jesus but he is not Jesus. The woman in the marriage is analogous to The Church but she isn't The Church. But Jesus is the expressed image of the Father... and is not analogous.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But what do you think?

View attachment 47572
Here's one member

View attachment 47573
Here's another

View attachment 47574
And here's the third

View attachment 47575

No. Common idea of the Trinity is there is one god, three functions.

Jesus is a human not a creator. Spirit comes from god not is god. It's just the roles are incarnated as person or spirit.

Incarnation of a creator doesn't make two creators. So, it's monotheism.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

But what do you think?

View attachment 47572
Here's one member

View attachment 47573
Here's another

View attachment 47574
And here's the third

View attachment 47575

IMO, Trinitarian Christianity is polytheistic.

Not all of Christianity is Trinitarian.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In other contexts, Christians tell me that God has no "substance" at all. If the three persons of the Trinity are "of the same substance," then this would imply that God actually does have substance.

Interesting.

LightofTruth

Who is Jesus' God?

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,

Eph 1:17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,

1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Sounds as if whoever is Jesus' Father is also his God.

LightofTruth

And why is Jesus called Lord?

Act 2:34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand,
Act 2:35 until I make your enemies your footstool.”’
Act 2:36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

Sounds as if the God of Jesus made Jesus, a son of David, to be David's Lord.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Trinity is montheism. Polythism is a denial of the Trinity.
Tritheism is a polytheism and a so denial of the Trinity.
But is The Godhead a thing that is made up of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit

Or are The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit things that are made up by The Godhead?

Is The Godhead the entity (and is divided into three) or are the three elements of The Trinity the entity (that come together to form the unified Godhead)?

This is the question I am wrestling with

And maybe it is an invalid question...

The Trinity is after all a mystery