• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Buddhism a part of Hinduism?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Answer one question: Was Buddha a nihilist? He was definitely not. He did not answer "then what is there?". Because it was not important in his scheme of things. And I completely agree with him. Whether I know Brahman or not is not going to effect the world. He said these things are "Acinteyya". Don't think about them, Be concerned with your own life and how can that be made better. Later Buddhists said it was Dhammakaya, Buddhadhatu, Tathagatagarbha, all of which were never described in detail. Hinduism has no problem in discussing this subject. That alone is the difference between Hinduism and Buddhism.

As for interaction between Hinduism and Buddhism or even Jainism, no one can deny that. After all they existed in the same region, debated with each other frequently. In Samannaphala Sutta, Buddha talked about 5 Hindu and one Jain philosopher (Niggantha Nataputta) - (Samaññaphala Sutta - Wikipedia). Buddha studied under Hindu ascetics, Ārāḍa Kālāma and Udraka Rāmaputra (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha#Ascetic_life_and_Awakening). It is immaterial if he branched out. There was never a bar on branching out in Hinduism. So no one should say that it was a one way affair. I have studied Buddha as well as Sankara, but I differ from both. That is how it is in Hinduism.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Buddhism is related with Hinduism, not a part of Hinduism aside from some Hindus who incorporated Buddhism into their religion.