• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Buddha's head covered in 108 snails ?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Was there an *actual* naga named Mucalinda who protected Buddha from the elements as he meditated under the Bodhi tree or is it a metaphor for something else?
Mucalinda t shirt.jpg

ronki23

How true is the snail story? Because other Buddhas (not Siddhartha) also have 'hair' like that

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How true is the snail story? Because other Buddhas (not Siddhartha) also have 'hair' like that
How they ever came up with that, I'll never know.

Still. Hinduism in Buddhist drag is my first thought on those crazy stories.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I can see how the symbolism of Mucalinda and the snails might correspond to a specific meditative technique.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, Vishnu is associated with snails, no?
1. Buddha, for Hindus, is the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu.
2. Most probably Buddha had curly hair, common and liked in India; so when his hair grew to some length, they may look like snails to some ignorant people.
3. Vishnu (or Buddha) is associated with all things in the universe, even snails and cockroaches. After all, to most Hindus, he is the creator and Supreme God.