• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being parts of different religions ok?

gtrsgrls

What do you guys think.Is it ok to be part of two different religions if they contradict each other or claim to be the only religion?For instance,some people call themselves Mormons and Christians.Even though Christianity forbids many things that Mormons believe.In my opinion you need to be one thing or the other.Me and Merlin have been debating this subject and we just though we'd let you guys in on it.You can post your opinion or PM me if you want me to write you back.

Aqualung

Tasty
gtrsgrls said:
What do you guys think.Is it ok to be part of two different religions if they contradict each other or claim to be the only religion?For instance,some people call themselves Mormons and Christians.Even though Christianity forbids many things that Mormons believe.In my opinion you need to be one thing or the other.Me and Merlin have been debating this subject and we just though we'd let you guys in on it.You can post your opinion or PM me if you want me to write you back.
:eek: Mormons don't beleive anything that christianity forbids. It's just that most christians don't beleive what the bible says. And we don't claim to be the only religion, or even the only religion with truths!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
gtrsgrls said:
Mormons are as Christian as any one else, You don't become less christian Just because some one else thinks so.

Some UU's Hold to be christian.

I am Anglican but I hold what some think are heretical views.

Only some religions are exclusive.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gtrsgrls said:
I spent many years as a sole member of a composite religion ( it came with a Bible and a mecano set!:biglaugh: ). Seriously though, while always having retained my belief in Jesus Christ, my faith, at that time, embraced much of Buddhism, and sikhism......:bounce

Faint

gtrsgrls said:
What do you guys think.Is it ok to be part of two different religions if they contradict each other
I'm wondering why you would want to believe in anything that contradicts another of your beliefs? Choose the one that makes the most sense (to you); reject the other. Or take the parts you like from both, reject the rest, and create your own religion. Otherwise you'll probably end up being confused.

westifer

Like Faint said, take parts from each. Every religion has its ups and downs. You dont have to agree with everything.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
westifer said:
Like Faint said, take parts from each. Every religion has its ups and downs. You dont have to agree with everything.
Like I have said, I "have been there" - it is a lonely existence, and 'belonging to a group of likeminded people' when you can honestly 'buy into their ideas' fully has it's plusses!

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:

That's an interesting question. I belong to a couple Pagan Forums and there is a growing number of "Christian Witches" and I'm always getting myself in trouble with the moderators for saying that such a combination is impossible.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Darkdale said:
That's an interesting question. I belong to a couple Pagan Forums and there is a growing number of "Christian Witches" and I'm always getting myself in trouble with the moderators for saying that such a combination is impossible.
Oh you naughty Darkdale, you!:biglaugh: - you ? get in trouble with Moderators ? I can't see that.;)

Shame that we cannot discuss that point in particular, I would be interested to know your thoughts. (Might be an idea for a new thread ...hum...tiddley.hum):D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
If the person that's believing it can reconcile the two beliefs within their own head, why on earth should it bother anyone else? For example, there are some Wiccans that also call themselves Christians. While others might not understand the logic of it, it seems to make sense for these people at this time in their lives, and it brings them happiness to do so. There's enough conflict in the world, already. Why take issue with something like this?