• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anger evil/sinful?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As one who does not view the world or human behavior in what I see to be primitive ideas of "good" or "evil". To me anger is simply an emotion experienced by all higher intelligent and most lower ingelligent species. Anger can be a possitive emotion and when acted upon can yield many possitive results; such as what one stated on this thread in which the collective anger of masses of people against an unjust governmental regime lead to that regimes' downfall.

On the other side of that coin anger can lead to negative results both on a small, as well as, a massive scale such as what took place in pre-world war II Germany. Certain mass jealousy against the Jewish people led to anger which in time became hate, which in time helped give rise to the Nazi party regime which not only led to the senseless and unjust and cruel murder of millions of Jewish people, but also brought about another world wide war which also resulted in the deaths of millions of others. From an ethical point of view, the more radical Nazis became slaves to their anger and hatred of the Jews which lead to an absolute misguided use of power, which, in turn eventually led to their own destruction.

So anger can be a very powerful possitive and creative emotion, as well as, an extremely negative and destructive one. As with most human emotions anger is a double-edged sword. It is an interesting aspect of that paradox known as the human condition. Anger is a very powerful emotion which can lead to destructive outcomes, however, it is a limited power in that there is only so much one can destroy until there is nothing left to destroy but one's self.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Can anger ever be a force for good?

That depends on what "good" is to a person. In any applicable situation, it could be "good" because some people view "good" as anything that benefits themselves. Now, the consequences of the anger could lead to a gratifying experience in the moment, but could result in "bad" after consequences.

When isn't it a force for good?

When it is taken out on someone that is either deserving or not deserving of it's critique

Is it bad as a rule, but the lesser of two evils in certain circumstances?

Certainly.

Anger isn't "evil" or "sinful", it either makes you look stupid or accomplished. It is a very sensitive emotion, and One that should be highly kept in check, since any emotional based conclusion can definitly show bias and or ignorance to the circumstance, but not always.

To be honest, it is extremely subjected to the consequence after the emotional appeal of "anger". In heinz-height, it's only bad because it withers away at One's heart, but it is also "good" because it shows that One is not a dead and emotionless twit ;)

horizon_mj1

Well, if you understood it, you wouldn't be so condemning of biblical concepts.

They wouldn't be following Jesus if they did, and therefore it is immoral.
Way to make up a scenario to falsely reflect Christianity.

Man-made morals are so great, you will have a great life so long as you born into wealth and opportunity! Otherwise, prepare to hump legs to get anywhere, or starve to death in some foreign country.
Yay for man-made morals!!!
Well I can see I am taken wrong by some, but you see I do not condemn any biblical concepts, it is that laking of other concepts I do not understand that "biblical" people choose to disregard. You are right also about Jesus, but there is also Muhammad, Budd, Zeus, Persephone, and so on and so forth, all making up the entirety. Man-made morals are nothing for the very reason you mentioned them, but you are dead wrong if you think you have to starve to death in some foreign country, hump legs or be born into wealth and opportunity in order to get it. Evolve already please!:sarcastic

Secunchants

Can anger ever be a force for good?
If it compels you to start a show like Americas most wanted I suppose it can be a good force. I believe the show was a result of one man's anger against the brutal murder of his son. The show has served a good purpose

When isn't it a force for good?
When it compels you to break the law.

Is it bad as a rule, but the lesser of two evils in certain circumstances?
Anger is as involuntary as a heartbeat. It is neither good or evil. It is our response to it that is good or bad.

bhasinusc

according to hinduism and Bhagavad gita, anger is the progression which starts from :
Desire

Lack of fulfillment of Desire leads to Frustration
Lack of fulfillment of Frustration leads to Anger

From Anger, Loss of Intelligence results and from loss of Intelligence, Destruction is certain

horizon_mj1

according to hinduism and Bhagavad gita, anger is the progression which starts from :
Desire

Lack of fulfillment of Desire leads to Frustration
Lack of fulfillment of Frustration leads to Anger

From Anger, Loss of Intelligence results and from loss of Intelligence, Destruction is certain
That sounds similar to Freud.