• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is All Life Suffering?

Is All Life Dukkha?

• No. Only Bad things are Dukkha.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The First Noble Truth of Buddhism is that "All life is Dukkha". Dukkha is usually translated as "suffering". It can also be translated as emotional suffering, angst, stressful, filled with anguish, imperfect, and so forth.

The word Dukkha originally meant "out of jointedness" and referred to the out of jointedness of a dislocated shoulder, hip, or wobbly chariot wheel axel.

Do you think the Buddha got it right? Is all life Dukkha? If so, why? If not, why not?

UnTheist

Sunstone said:
Why do you suppose Dukkha is necessary in life?
Because suffering tells you there is something you don't like. Once you adapt to it and accept it, your suffering will decrease. And you get stronger. If that makes any sense. It is impossible to get rid of Dukkha completely.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Suffering is our "Feed Back" system. It's used to determine cause and effect and even in survival.

However, I think life is equally suffering and exstacy and all points in between.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Scuba Pete said:
Suffering is our "Feed Back" system. It's used to determine cause and effect and even in survival.

You are referring to physical suffering, aren't you? But what do you think of Dukkha?

However, I think life is equally suffering and exstacy and all points in between.

Do you think that both "suffering" and "ecstasy" are Dukkha?

jacquie4000

Glancing over the site especially the contempary definition it seems to be both good and bad things Phil.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Sunstone said:
You are referring to physical suffering, aren't you? But what do you think of Dukkha?
Not really... I see it both physically and spiritually.

Sunstone said:
Do you think that both "suffering" and "ecstasy" are Dukkha?
Not according to your definition. The former seems to be, while the latter may well be described as "anti-dukkha". I am not familiar enough with dukkha to be able to comment accurately.

opensoul7

I thought buddha taught that attachment was the root of all suffering . If so then is life suffering because of the souls attachment to the flesh ?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Strange that no Buddhists have responded. That's what I would like to see. Uh oh, that expectation is more dukkha for me.

eudaimonia,

Mark

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
The First Noble Truth of Buddhism is that "All life is Dukkha". Dukkha is usually translated as "suffering". It can also be translated as emotional suffering, angst, stressful, filled with anguish, imperfect, and so forth.

The word Dukkha originally meant "out of jointedness" and referred to the out of jointedness of a dislocated shoulder, hip, or wobbly chariot wheel axel.

Do you think the Buddha got it right? Is all life Dukkha? If so, why? If not, why not?

I voted that all things in life - which I understand all material and impermanent things - is dukkha. I think Wiki got this correctly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_marks_of_existence

Dukkha (Sanskrit duhkha) or unsatisfactoriness. Nothing found in the physical world or even the psychological realm can bring lasting deep satisfaction.

So, suffering is not simply pain, anguish, lament, etc. But that the act of grasping at a pleasurable experience or gain is a form of Dukkha as well. This concept is one of the three foundational seals of Buddhism. Opensoul7 is most correct so far.......it's our attachment and egoistic grasping toward the "good things in life" and our aversions and attempts to escape "the bad things in life" that cause most our suffering.

Peace,
Mystic

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
opensoul7 said:
I thought buddha taught that attachment was the root of all suffering . If so then is life suffering because of the souls attachment to the flesh ?

I'm not sure all Buddhists would say that life is suffering because of the soul's attachment to the flesh. I think quite a few Buddhists do not believe in a soul.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
No I don’t think that all life is suffering, all suffering all the time. And I don’t think that is really what Buddhism teaches either. I think the point is that suffering is inevitable. Where there is life, there will be suffering. It is absolutely unavoidable (unless perhaps if one achieves nirvana, and even with that there are degrees). Suffering (or dukkha) can be extreme physical pain, the intense grief at the loss of a loved one, or just the minor annoyances of every day life.

But it does not have to mean that every moment of life is suffering. Right now for instance I am perfectly content:). I am relaxed, content, not worried about anything, not a care in the world. I am perfectly comfortable. A little thirsty perhaps …… dam, well that lasted for about 5 seconds:( .

I am going to go get a beer, and then I will be happy again:D . At least until I have to pee.

Ozzie

Sunstone said:

Yeh, Buddha got it right. Suffering is inevitable. The wheel turns.

Ernestine

Suffering isn't a necessary part of life, but it is a reality of life. Read the book of Ecclesiastes. King Solomon clearly points out that everything a man does is vanity and a striving after the wind. For all the hard work we do, we all have one eventuality--death. Everything having been said is to fear God and keep his commandments because he is the one that will bring every sort of work into judgment.