• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Adultery & Prostitution sexually immoral?

Is Adultery & Prostitution sexually Immoral

• Total voters

bretzter

What we have available to us today, the known word of God in the holy scriptures,was made available to us by way of God's holy spirit.Books that are out there like the Gospel of Thomas for example are fraud books that do not contain the truth.That book in particular speaks of Jesus as a brat child that killed people.We have to be careful not to assume that everything out there, supposedly written by apostles, is true or God's inspired word.

Also,nice stories that sound great, like the one in John 8:1-12,sound awesome.It sounds like something Jesus would have said and done.The fact of the matter is that it was not included in the first copies of the holy writings found by archeologist, that we, use today for research.It was included much later.It could have happened,or maybe it did not.It was not John who wrote it.The books of John were the last of the holy scriptures to be written,c. 98 C.E.

By the time the bible was being put together in the 4th century,many other writings began to pop up.It was 200 years after the last of Jesus true disciples died.John died in Ephesus in about 100 C.E. His writings were complete when he died.That story in John 8 was not part of it.Someone included it much later.
You do realize that the woman you´re actually speaking of as regards to Jesus is none other than Mary Magdelene don´t you?.
And if sexual immorality weren´t considered a sin,he wouldn´t have told her to go and sin no more.
Later on Jesus himself said that all sins will be forgiven men/women if they truly repented of them.
Except one,be it in this world or the next,blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
Now if our earthly bodies were considered temples of the Holy Spirit,or God if you will,whoa those of us who defile them to
satisfy our humanly lusts.
If you´re asking whether or not adultery etc, is admissable,then no it isn´t,in any form,as Jesus said,even looking at a woman lustfully is like your already
having committed adultery with her in your heart.
Hard as that may be to for us to digest.
One doesn´t have to think twice about how God feels about the matter.
God does not change to appease men,or better said,think as men think.
His thoughts are far above those of men.
In anything,listen to your conscience,as it will convict/convince you if you´re actually doing the wrong or right thing.

bretzter

I personally believe it to be so.
Adultery is any one married individual,male or female,who seeks pleasure elsewhere
outside of the marriage arrangement.
Prostitution on the other hand,is much like fornication.
That is unless one individual is married.
In that case,prostitution would be considered as having adultery on the part of the married
individual.
Yet if God judges as Christ said he judges,by merely looking at a woman with lust in your
heart,I´d already have been stoned to death a thousand times over.
But like Jesus said,all sins would be forgiven men,but one.
That is if you truly approach God wholeheartedly not only admit your error,but act on it.
Meaning do whatever is within your means that such an error not happen again.
What people fail to realize is the fact that we are born into sin,imperfect human beings.
But now,since the arrival of Christ,we have a mediator between God and man.
Jesus Christ,who himself was a man,knows the temptations of men.

Deidre

I'm no longer a Christian, and so the concept of 'sin' isn't something I subscribe to, anymore...however, I do happen to think that common sense should tell us that if what we are about to do in any way can harm another person or ourselves, emotionally/physically/spiritually/mentally....it is wrong.

''Sin'' is a funny thing though. It doesn't happen over night, it usually comes upon everyone as a slow fade. No one here is without sin. (wrong doing)

I've posted this common parable elsewhere on here, but it fits with this topic:

There is a frog in a pot of cold water. The burner is turned up slightly, and the frog feels warm. After say 15 minutes, the water is scalding hot, and the frog finally jumps out, but it's a bit late...its badly burned.

That's sin. A slow fade. No one becomes a prostitute over night. No one commits adultery over night.

''...lead us not into temptation...'' is a powerful part of the Lord's prayer...for we must be tempted first to do something wrong...before we do it.

wgw

In the Orthodox Church we regard adultery and prostitution to be sinful. The ancient canons specified long public penancees for both,but a modern priest is likely to simply hear your confession, drape his epitrachelion over your head and say the prayer of forgiveness.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I have been having a discussion with this person who keeps telling me that Adultery and Prostitution is not sexually immoral.I would like to see what other christians think about this.

Here is what this person told me in a message.

"I presented what the Bible says not what some Christian church says. There is a difference. Your belief may believe that adultery and prostitution are sexual immoral but the Bible does not define, does not place adultery as sexually immoral. The Greek does not define adultery as sexually immoral. You have failed to show that the Bible does define adultery as sexually immoral. Sexually immoral has its own meaning and it is not yours.

I welcome anyone to show me differently what I see the Bible saying. Please show me that the Greek that proves sexually immorality is all the above.

I've found Christian truth goes against Biblical truth."

The beautiful thing is you don't need to be a Greek scholar, just a Bible "lover" (pardon my pun). Romans 7:

"Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man."

And now, the question for the person who said adultery is not condemned in scripture:

What is it the married woman was doing that was unlawful while her husband was alive but lawful while her husband had died?

PS. We call what she did after her husband died either MARRIAGE or FORNICATION. ;)

The beautiful thing is you don't need to be a Greek scholar, just a Bible "lover" (pardon my pun). Romans 7:

"Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man."

And now, the question for the person who said adultery is not condemned in scripture:

What is it the married woman was doing that was unlawful while her husband was alive but lawful while her husband had died?

PS. We call what she did after her husband died either MARRIAGE or FORNICATION. ;)

Thanks for your response.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As a rule of thumb, adultery is sinful. But sometimes things are complicated. The marriage may have fallen apart, there may be abuse and the person doesn't feel that they can escape from it. Sometimes things aren't black and white.

As for prostitution, I do think that forcing people into sex work through human trafficking, pimping, abuse, kidnapping, being forced into it for financial reasons, etc. are great evils in the world. But I don't think that those who do sex work out of their own free will and because it's something they enjoy are sinning in that regard.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
As a rule of thumb, adultery is sinful. But sometimes things are complicated. The marriage may have fallen apart, there may be abuse and the person doesn't feel that they can escape from it. Sometimes things aren't black and white.

As for prostitution, I do think that forcing people into sex work through human trafficking, pimping, abuse, kidnapping, being forced into it for financial reasons, etc. are great evils in the world. But I don't think that those who do sex work out of their own free will and because it's something they enjoy are sinning in that regard.

Sometimes, yes, things aren't black and white. When a Christian says certain people who do certain sins aren't going to Heaven, I ask them what they would think if a five-year-old trusted Jesus on Monday then was sexually abused by an elder on Tuesday and grew into a vicious adult. How does God judge? Some things aren't black and white from OUR perspective, yes.

But the Bible, is it black and white or black and white and gray all over? The answer will completely affect all your doctrines and your life (and mine).