• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Abortion Murder?

anyscientologist

On the Scientologese point of view, abortion is something that most not happen. "Man has no right to kill his own kind".

Is killing a human being murder? (Save when the life of the mother is in danger).

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
On the Scientologese point of view, abortion is something that most not happen. "Man has no right to kill his own kind".

Is killing a human being murder? (Save when the life of the mother is in danger).

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
mur·der
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈmɜr
thinsp.png
dər/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mur-der] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

As abortion is legal, by definition it can't be murder.
Whether it's your opinion that an embryo is a human being from 4 cells, or 8 cells, or 5 weeks or whatever and that abortion is wrong full stop, it doesn't meet the definition of murder. I'm sure someone will read the above definition and scream,'Oh, premeditation!! It fits, it fits!', but the operative words are 'under conditions specifically covered by law.'
Interesting to see you've got a self defence clause in there too, though.

jacquie4000

To be honest I am tired of abortion threads, sorry to burst your bubble, but I feel like it is an epidemic or something.

UnTheist

No offense, but these abortion discussions have been occuring ad nauseum. Whether it is immoral or not will not ban abortions, and doing so would violate a woman's rights.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
So if she was walking into a clinic to have an abortion, I killed the child, but the mother or doctor did not. Is it a life or not? It is not for the Mother and is for the shooter. Hmmmm

UnTheist

So if she was walking into a clinic to have an abortion, I killed the child, but the mother or doctor did not. Is it a life or not? It is not for the Mother and is for the shooter. Hmmmm
How exactly would you kill the unborn baby? If you asked the doctor if you could do it, it would be the same thing.

Ðanisty

If I was to shoot a pregnant woman and her child died, would I not be charged with murder?
As far as I know, the murder of a pregnant woman only constitutes murder of two people if she's at a certain stage of pregnancy. Either way, it doesn't fit because of the definition of murder and the laws of abortion.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Ðanisty;792101 said:
As far as I know, the murder of a pregnant woman only constitutes murder of two people if she's at a certain stage of pregnancy. Either way, it doesn't fit because of the definition of murder and the laws of abortion.

The laws are in conflict. That's my only point.

constantine

the Great
l think a good start would be to fight for the human rights of the children in this world who are already born. lts easy to be an armchair activist towards something you have no control over.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
If I was to shoot a pregnant woman and her child died, would I not be charged with murder?
That's because the Unborn Victims Of Violence Act states that a 'child in utero' is a legal victim if injured or killed during the commission of any of the 60+ listed federal crimes of violence. Only 34 of the states have similar laws.
All these laws clearly exclude abortion as being covered by them, as they should, because if they weren't clear in the wording, someone with the sole purpose of trying to prove a point would be tying up court time trying to prosecute doctors for performing a legal procedure.

Booko

Deviled Hen

Is Scientology also against capital punishment then? (Just curious, mostly -- I hadn't heard a position on abortion mentioned before.)

Ðanisty

The laws are in conflict. That's my only point.
Actually they are not. The laws are written carefully. Abortion may be what you can consider and exception to the rule of murder, but it isn't murder itself. Obviously you feel they are in moral conflict...but they aren't in legal conflict.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
First off, you really need to shelve your misconception that abortion fits under the definition of murder.

Second, since abortion is NOT illegal and shooting someone, regardless of their being pregnant, IS illegal, you have no basis for comparison. They are two completely different legal situations.

Third, I have not heard anyone make any claims what-so-ever that a fetus or embryo is not a life. This is an appeal to emotion strawman that is way over used.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Does man have a right to defend himself?
Or is he to merely allow someone who is intent on killing them to kill them?

Ah.
I see you have partially answered the question here with: "Save when the life of the mother is in danger."
So the life of the mother is more important than the life of the fetus?
How exactly do you come to that conclusion?