• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irish Nuns discarding children

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So let me see if I understand this. . . .

This thread is not about about the fact that 800 children were killed, instead it is about using the deaths of 800 children to make religion/the church look bad?

How do you look at the fact that 800 children were killed without also looking at the who, where, why, and how behind it? It's not about "using" the church's crimes to make it "look" bad.

whirlingmerc

There is a large difference between being religious and being Christian... there have always been cultural Christians going through the motions.

Mr Perks

The report I read said the children' skeletons were found by a youth lifting a slab covering the entrance to the septic tank, which sort of suggest the tank was disused. The cause fo the children's deaths is of importance if they were killed rather than allowed to die. However, using a septic tank for disposal of the bodies does raise the question of where in the Bible does it suggest dead children should be treated as if excreta?
The history of the Catholic church from its early days to the present is a history of outrages against humanity, it should be proscribed by all civilised societies.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
It shouldn't be news to anyone that the infant mortality rate in Ireland during the first half of the twentieth century was high. I don't know much about this case but if I am understanding some posters in this thread, they're accusing these nuns of infanticide?

The bodies may have been coldly interred, I don't defend that. But that people would jump to accusations of murder speaks volumes to me.

Last edited:

roger1440

I do stuff
Were they murdered or did they die of disease? Maybe both, there is a medium between the two. If the cause of death can be attributed to neglect it can be considered as involuntary manslaughter. It wouldn’t be unusual for an orphanage with very limited funds to have very limited resources for the children including limited staff, limited medicine, etc…
Manslaughter - Wikipedia