• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introduction to Kundalini Yoga or Tantra

The Crimson Universe

Hello.
Are there any good books on Kudalini yoga for beginners that explains about the following things-

The nadis and their functions.

The types of chakras. What are they for.

About the kundalini shakti.

About the history of kundalini yoga

What do the practitioners of this yoga believe about moksha (like do they merge with the non-dual Brahman or do they spend time in heaven with their favourite personal God).

The dangers of kundalini yoga

The difference between kundalini yoga and Indian Tantra.
etc.

Edit: Btw i'm not much interested in the postures or breathing practices at the moment.
I just need the explanations of the above things in the form of bookish knowledge.

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I don't know of any introduction per se, but you might have luck looking here:

Aghori.it

shivashakti.com

holybooks.com

The Crimson Universe

I don't know of any introduction per se, but you might have luck looking here:

Aghori.it

shivashakti.com

holybooks.com

Thanks Ashoka. :)

Edit: While doing a google search i came across a few books on kundalini yoga. When i went thru the sample pages of one of those books i found out it has many sanskrit 'Tantra' terms which the author didn't care to explain. I think this means that both kundalini yoga and tantra are related.

Here's the link to the book.
Kundalini Yoga

In the beginning it almost reads like an advaita text but as you keep on reading the first few pages of CHAPTER ONE you'll come across many new TANTRA terms like-
Sadakhya Tattva,
Ishvara Tattva,
and Suddha Vidya Tattva.

I'm not sure what they mean. Perhaps some of you here who's familiar with Tantra can help me out.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Sadakhya Tattva,
Ishvara Tattva,
and Suddha Vidya Tattva.

Tattva means Principle.

Kashmiri Shaivism speaks about the 36 tattva - of which 5 are the highest.

Shiva Tattva - Highest
Shakti Tattva
SadAshiv Tattva (a.k.a. SadAkhya tattva)
Ishvara Tattva
VidyA Tattva -- this is related to Bramh' VidyA, JnAna.

SadAkhya tattva is SadAshiv tattva - which I just found out by Google search landing on this shloka on StackExchange :

तत्र परमेश्वरः पञ्चभिः शक्तिभिः निर्भर इत्युक्तम्‌, स स्वातन्त्रयात्‌ शक्तितांताम्‌ मुख्यतया प्रकटयन्‌ पञ्चधा तिष्ठति । चित्प्रधान्ये शिवतत्त्वम्‌,आनन्दप्राधान्ये शक्तितत्त्वम्‌, इच्छाप्राधान्ये सदाशिवतत्त्वम्‌-इच्छाया हि ज्ञान-क्रिययोः साम्यरूपाभ्युपगमात्मकत्वात्‌, ज्ञानशक्तिप्राधान्ये ईश्वरतत्त्वम्‌, क्रियाशक्तिप्राधान्ये विद्यातत्त्वम्‌ इति । (Tantrasara 8th chapter)

It has already been explained that the Lord's perfection consists in him possessing five powers (Pancha Shakti). While the Lord is manifesting any [one] of his individual Shaktis, his principal Shakti remains shining in five different ways. When the power of consciousness (Chit) becomes predominant, it is called Shiva Tattva. Similarly, when the power of bliss (Aananda Shakti) becomes predominant, this is known as the Shakti Tattva. When. on the other hand, the power of will (Ichha Shakti) becomes predominant, this is the Sadashiva Tattva. It is because of the dominance of the [power of] will that a balanced state of Jnana and Kriya exists in Sadashiva Tattva. When the power of knowledge (Jnana Shakti) becomes dominant, this is the Ishwara Tattva, and when the power of action (Kriya Shakti) becomes dominant, this principle is known as Vidya Tattva.

----
Mantra sAdhana i.e. japa if advised by a knowledgeable Guru, can help. Bhakti-bhAv also helps.
None of these are mechanical processes. They are one's interaction with the Divine ParaBramh.

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

So according to Kashmiri Shaivism, what does the Lord do with these 5 different powers? Does he manifest the universe with their help?
And what are the differences between chit shakti, ananda shakti, iccha shakti, kriya shakti and jnana shakti?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Something for you here: A History Of Indian Philosophy Vol-ii : Dasgupta Surendranath : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
"History of Indian Philosophy" by Surendranath DasGupta (Chapter XIII, Speculations in Medical Schools, Nervous System of Tantras, Pages 352-357)
This is my most favorite scholar of Indian Philosophy. I am searching if he has something specific for Kundalini. I think I came acrosws it bit did not pursue it since Kundalini is not in my range of interests. The link will open directly to the page.

You may find this also useful: Philosophical Essays Ed.1st : Dasgupta, Surendranath : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
"Philosophical Esssays", Surendranath Das Gupta (Chapter 6, General Introduction to Tantra Philosophy, Pages 151-178)
He wrote a book on Patanjali also, "The Study of Patanjali": The study of Patanjali : Dasgupta, Surendranath, 1885-1952 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
On Yoga: Yoga As Philosophy and Religion (1924) : Dasgupta Surendranath : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
So according to Kashmiri Shaivism, what does the Lord do with these 5 different powers? Does he manifest the universe with their help?
The top 5 are beyond the realm of mAyA, and are subtle yet transcendental transformations in the pure consciousness. Up until the 5th tattva, there is no creation.
However, these are most critical for anything to happen. A perfect balance of consciousness-chit => Anand => icchA - Will, jnAna - knowlege => to give rise to kriyA - action

Tattva #6 = mAyA
Tattva #7 = kanchukas -- contractions begin here, limitations start to arise here

Then the downword spiral begins.

The 36 show the roadmap from the subtlest and highest Pure Consciousness down to the most "jaD" earth principle or ground principle where everything is concretely manifested.

The "spanda-kArikA" talk about "spanda" - vibration, like you throw a pebble in an extremely still and calm water body to make ripples.
This spanda starts the process to disturb Shiv, stir the stillness into action.

Same principles studied in Veda-VedAnta, bhAgvat mahA purAN and others about the primary and secondary creation. Adi NArAyaN or VAsudev of pancharAtra, is Shiv

While the highest tattva , pure consciousness (Shiv #1) => prithvi (#36) is top-down - how the world comes to be,
Looking at it bottom-up would be

#36 - #31 = 5 mahAbhUta = earth (pRthvI), water (Aap), fire (agnI), air (vAyu), ether (AkAsh)

Prior to this arise the 5 karmendriya
Prior to that the 5 jnAnendriya
Prior to that the 5 vishay - subjects of senses - sense of taste, smell etc.
Prior to that the ego (ahaMkAr) mAnas (mind) buddhI (intellect)

and so on.

subtlest to grossest and the reverse journey of grossest to subtlest.

And what are the differences between chit shakti, ananda shakti, iccha shakti, kriya shakti and jnana shakti?

Chit = consciousness-awareness with no traces of any mixtures, very clear and vivid
Anand - alhAd = bliss arising from the calmness and stillness of Pure Consciousness
IcchA = Will - where there is a Will there is a Way. Until Shiva wills there is no way
KriyA = Action -- the most divine and transcendental form of action arises from a perfect balance of Will (IcchA) and knowledge (jnAna) , that are not possible without the fundamental pure consciousness and Anand (to stir and motivate) - In BG Shri KRshNa says "yogastha kuru karmANi" - find that perfect balance for skill in action by being established in Yoga with Me.
JnAna (dnyAna) = adhyAtma jnAna = Bramh-jnAna , giving to VidyA - knowledge , understanding of a subject

-----
If you are interested in learning Kashmiri Shaiva , I know a very learned saint who has formally taken diksha from a Guru in the parampara of Abhinav Gupta, Swami LakshmanJoo ... who has shared his great understanding and knowledge on another forum for years and years with persistence.
I can try to get you in touch with him or at least point to his posts.

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

A perfect balance of consciousness-chit => Anand => icchA - Will, jnAna - knowlege => to give rise to kriyA - action

Are you saying that a perfect balance of chit shakti + anand shakti + iccha shakti + jnana shakti = gives rise to action?

Whose action are we talking about here?
Is it the saguna Brahman (Shiva's) action? ... or does the word 'Shiva' used by the Kashmiri Shaivites mean "our higher Self" the pure consciousness?
If its the latter, then can our higher Self or pure consciousness really perform actions? :confused:
I mean in advaita, the absolute brahman or even its drop (the atman) does no action. Only its shakti maya/prakriti performs all actions.

kanchukas -- contractions begin here, limitations start to arise here
Contractions of what, if i may ask?
Also by 'limitations' do you mean the limitations of space and time, and the upAdhis or sheaths, that limits the pure consciousness within its gross and subtle shell?

The "spanda-kArikA" talk about "spanda" - vibration, like you throw a pebble in an extremely still and calm water body to make ripples.
This spanda starts the process to disturb Shiv, stir the stillness into action.
Ok. And does this throb/spanda/vibration really makes Shiv act?
... Again what do the Kashmiri Shaivites mean by Shiv here. Is it the personal Lord Shiva or the impersonal Nirguna pure consciousness? If its the latter, then can the impersonal really perform actions?

If you are interested in learning Kashmiri Shaiva , I know a very learned saint who has formally taken diksha from a Guru in the parampara of Abhinav Gupta, Swami LakshmanJoo ... who has shared his great understanding and knowledge on another forum for years and years with persistence.
I can try to get you in touch with him or at least point to his posts.
That would be nice. I'm not really ready for a guru-disciple relationship at the moment as that requires commitment, effort and time from the disciple's side which i won't be able to give. But I can surely converse with him on a discussion forum or via email. If that's ok with him then go ahead. :=)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
... Again what do the Kashmiri Shaivites mean by Shiv here. Is it the personal Lord Shiva or the impersonal Nirguna pure consciousness? If its the latter, then can the impersonal really perform actions?
I have seen @Vinayaka say that till we do not understand Shiva is a God. And when we understand it is pure consciousness.If I am wrong, @Vinayaka , please correct me.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Namaste

I will answer a few of your questions but suggest reading the Kashmiri Shaiva texts.

Are you saying that a perfect balance of chit shakti + anand shakti + iccha shakti + jnana shakti = gives rise to action?
The Whole comprises of the 36 tattva not 5, so each lower tattva is un-manifest and dormant in the higher states.
For a saguN form like you and me to take action at a higher level, awareness and being in Yoga with the highest will bring our the best action/choice.decision. agreed? "yogastha kuru karmANi" ?That is what I was saying -
The point was -- although the top 5 tattva are beyond mAyA, how critical their presence is for the manifested world to work well and also for the divine to manifest the world.

Whose action are we talking about here?
Is it the saguna Brahman (Shiva's) action? ... or does the word 'Shiva' used by the Kashmiri Shaivites mean "our higher Self" the pure consciousness?

Shiv for Kashmiri Shaivas is the Whole (slight difference from advaita VedAnta) -- all 36 tattvas are in Him, but Shiv Tattva pure is the pure consciousness and the other 35 tattva are potentially dormant, variantly manifest and un-manifest at different points.
Just as "sarvaM khalvidam Bramh' " and yet "neti neti" holds.

If its the latter, then can our higher Self or pure consciousness really perform actions? :confused:
I mean in advaita, the absolute brahman or even its drop (the atman) does no action. Only its shakti maya/prakriti performs all actions.

The highest spirals into the 36 tattva for primary and secondary creation. If tattva #1 were to remain at #1 and not manifest or awaken the other tattvas there would be no creation.
This is what advaita means by no creation, because the 36 tattva are really transformations of the one, and not to be understood as something stand-alone.
Tattva #6 = mAyA and that is where the primary subtle creation begins. However, tattva #1 has to awaken the other 4 tattva first, before awakening the mAyA tattva.

Shiv and Shakti are not 2 , it is the Whole. Shiv-Shakti.

Contractions of what, if i may ask?
Also by 'limitations' do you mean the limitations of space and time, and the upAdhis or sheaths, that limits the pure consciousness within its gross and subtle shell?
Of the infinite. the tattva #7 kanchuka -- is the factor that makes apparent boundaries in the boundless, immeasurable.
Like a jiva thinks I am so tiny or has such little to no shakti - that is kanchuka because boundaries are being perceived on the boundless.

Ok. And does this throb/spanda/vibration really makes Shiv act?
Everything is within Shiv as potential. Shiv tattva sifted out is the purest consciousness with no adulteration, but the other tattvas are packed in this Shiv Tattva, that is what I have been saying to advaita. Advaita is OK for our purpose of moksha to say the lower tattvas are illusion. What really happens is the lower tattva remain dormant, un-manifest, in potential form. The potential is there , to manifest any time in the Whole real Bramh' .

What people refer in English as "Lord Shiva" is the Shambhu Shankar, and yet the 12 Jyotirlinga and others are understood synonymous with Him because this Shankar, MahAdev, abides very closely in the Shiv Tattva perpetually unless He has to de-construct and destroy some aspect for re-creation. He looks after His devotees and is BholenAth but He can afford to be in samAdhi for the rest of the "time". He does not have the responsibility to nurture, unlike Shri VishNu and His avatArs (although VishNu also stays in Yoga nidra unless called upon for help).

That would be nice. I'm not really ready for a guru-disciple relationship at the moment as that requires commitment, effort and time from the disciple's side which i won't be able to give. But I can surely converse with him on a discussion forum or via email. If that's ok with him then go ahead. :=)
OK. I wasn't talking of Guru - disciple relationship, just connecting with him, but he does teach formally if I remember correctly.
I am sending at least a dozen of his old threads very relevant to this topic, to you...

Last edited: