• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introducing: A Philosopher Knight

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Chevalier Violet,

Welcome to Religious Forums!

When I saw your post, I wondered for a moment whether you are a member of the Mystic Knights (I am an adept) - but it looks as though you are not.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us, and if there is anything that we can do to further accomodate you, please feel free to contact me.:)

Chevalier Violet

Since you're strong in philosophy, "RO" is Radical Orthodoxy, a product of the Cambridge Platonists (Ward, Milbank, Pickstock) and James K A Smith in the US. "PT" is Philosophical Theology, a contruct for building theology.

I like to think I'm ok at philosophy - I like clear, crisp, tangible ideas, truth, expression, mutual acceptance and benefit, constructive exchange. Buut, I haven't read up much on the philosophy of religion side.

I actually think this is to my benefit. I know far more about philosophy of science, language, and history. I feel these are an excellent square one, and I come to PR (philosophy of Religion, I just made that up :D) which a very "scientific" perspective, even though I'm a deist.

Anyway, I definitely don't know names of RP's, and uh, I usually I find their writing too compact to be worth the trouble. Like if a person doesn't think clearly enough to explain something, it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

CV

Dream Angel

hmmm, I am sure I said hi before now! but it doesnt seem to have registered my post! Oh these computers! well hi! and hope to be chatting to you soon! :)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Hello there! Welcome to RF. I've been seeing your posts around the forums and hope you stick around and post lots more. :D

Chevalier Violet

hmmm, I am sure I said hi before now! but it doesnt seem to have registered my post! Oh these computers! well hi! and hope to be chatting to you soon! :)

I hate it when that happens. Thanks for posting again.

Hello there! Welcome to RF. I've been seeing your posts around the forums and hope you stick around and post lots more. :D

I hope to hear from you too.

“It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences.”

Exactly!! That's exactly it!

gmelrod

Resident Heritic
Hurrah another grand philosoph and skeptic joins our ranks. Who are your favorite guys? I am a Descartes/Spinoza/Kant/Hegel/Deluze/Gutari/Derrida/Baudrillard/DeLanda Man myself. There is plenty of room for skepticism around here. So many people claim to "know" things. It can be addictive.

Chevalier Violet

Oh crap, well I only just got into philosophy two years ago. I took a reading course about Hayden White, a philosopher of history and narrative. A very interesting thinker about the nature of language and truth. He really has a knack for combining a lot of disciplines.

Favorites past that? Oh crap, I'm not so good with this. I love Quine and Duhem (voila the love of philo of science), uhh Nietzche (but I don't think he was a very happy person so I read him w/ a grain of salt). I love what I've read of Kant on aesthetics - a taste opinion we would want universalized, and art is something that cannot be arrived at by rules alone. I love those two lines.

I am in love with Michel Foucault. And I gotta throw it out to my guy Aristotle!! I loved the Nicomachean ethics, and sure those pre-socratic philosophers were pretty cool too.

I've enjoyed what little Freud I read and the anthropology I've done.

I'm not sure what the definition of skepticism is. I think it's perfectly possible for me to know truth, I just think it's impossible for me to know when or IF I know truth.

But yeah, in short, rock on. I love philosophy of science. I'm a huge fan of what little I've read of this one guy, but I can't remember his name. Hope to hear from you again soon,

CV

gmelrod

Resident Heritic
If you are looking for a good read I would reccomend "Dream of Reason" it covers the history of philosophy from the pre-socratics to descartes. I think the best way to learn about philsolopy (out side of college) is to get books like this that cover broad strokes and then refine your reading down when you find somthing interesting. A good book on Kant and his time period is "The fate of Reason" by beiser diffrent guy but still great. See you around!

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Reason-History-Philosophy-Renaissance/dp/0393049515
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/BEIFAT.html

Chevalier Violet

I am in love with Kant's book on esthetics. I got a book of various authors on esthetics, that was a great way to get better.

Dream of Reason, I like that title.

CRB

I like to think I'm ok at philosophy - I like clear, crisp, tangible ideas, truth, expression, mutual acceptance and benefit, constructive exchange. Buut, I haven't read up much on the philosophy of religion side.

I actually think this is to my benefit. I know far more about philosophy of science, language, and history. I feel these are an excellent square one, and I come to PR (philosophy of Religion, I just made that up :D) which a very "scientific" perspective, even though I'm a deist.

Anyway, I definitely don't know names of RP's, and uh, I usually I find their writing too compact to be worth the trouble. Like if a person doesn't think clearly enough to explain something, it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

CV

of religious philosophers -- Roman Catholic, liberal, and evangelical -- along with other brands. On the Anglican/Liberal side there's Ward and Milbank. On the evangelical side there's Alvin Plantinga @ Notre Dame and Kevin Vanhooser who was at Princeton for a time. (I think he's back @ TEDS now.) The two fields are, historically, impossible to separate because they both deal with the human condition.