• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intro to my theology (as I see it today)

Just_me_Mike

Care to explain then?
Sure it is simple. God demands faith according to my understanding of the bible.

Faith is the opposite of proof in this arena. If we had proof of things spoken of in the bible (spiritual matters), we would not have to have faith.

So my initial statement
" have never in 30 + years seen any proof of anything spoken of in the bible."
is what it is. One must believe on faith not proof.

Just_me_Mike

But that would spoil it. You have to wait and see for yourself. There is nothing wrong with your personal theology if it works for you, just remember that it is not the only way. It does not work the same for everyone whether you think it does or not. Expect the unexpected.
According to the bible, there is only one way. Jesus is the way.

The problem is, what Jesus represents is different for most people. For example, when I read the Old Testament, I see Jesus throughout it. My belief is that Jesus is eternal like God.

So you and I come from completely different perspectives. No big deal, it will all work out in the end, for the better or the worse.

Just_me_Mike

But that is my belief... My own ignorance.
One person's ignorance is another person's bliss.
You are full of advice. So here is a little in kind.

Preaching a belief that was neither asked for nor fittng for the thread at hand, is a huge waste of your time, my time, and serves to only posterize an immature need to be heard.

Just_me_Mike

But that is my belief... My own ignorance.
One person's ignorance is another person's bliss.
You are full of advice. So here is a little in kind.

Preaching a belief that was neither asked for nor fittng for the thread at hand, is a huge waste of your time, my time, and serves to only posterize an immature need to be heard.

Light On

Sure it is simple. God demands faith according to my understanding of the bible.

Faith is the opposite of proof in this arena. If we had proof of things spoken of in the bible (spiritual matters), we would not have to have faith.

So my initial statement
is what it is. One must believe on faith not proof.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Makes bunches more sense :D

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
It isn't a big deal. I believe that a person will either go own to live with God for eternity in heaven, or that person will cease to exist.

So in other words, according to your theology, in a perfect world the only ones worthy of existing are those who follow your particular God or brand of religion? Sounds kinda sadistic doesn't it?

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Is that the extent of your defense? Are you prepared to discuss each of those passages you cite? How do you explain the passage that says Jesus spoke with a parable, and without a parable he did not speak?

In other words, if it was as simple as you seem to indicate, there would not be fields of study on this subject matter, with people much more intelligent than I discussing these passages and subject matter.

Try looking up the word hell sometimes and see what you find in the greek or hebrew dictionary.

Good luck with your studies, and if you want to talk more, feel free.

Have a good one...

Light On

Is that the extent of your defense? Are you prepared to discuss each of those passages you cite? How do you explain the passage that says Jesus spoke with a parable, and without a parable he did not speak?

In other words, if it was as simple as you seem to indicate, there would not be fields of study on this subject matter, with people much more intelligent than I discussing these passages and subject matter.

Try looking up the word hell sometimes and see what you find in the greek or hebrew dictionary.

Good luck with your studies, and if you want to talk more, feel free.

Have a good one...

Try finding a verse that says there is NO hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_me_Mike

Hmm... Maybe so. Take your pick :)
As long as you can understand hell is nothing more than the grave, than we are OK.

If you are insisting the bible teaches it is Satan's playground and a place where millions will spend eternity, than you got some splanin' to do Lucy.

Light On

I don't believe Satan necessarilly 'wants' to go to hell nor does he 'rule' it, which is current-day's mind set. He just IS sin. I can't explain it.

I believe if you aren't a christian or if you've lived it horribly, you go to hell. Not Heaven.

Hell = the grave I guess you could say. But it won't be pleasent.

Just_me_Mike

I don't believe Satan necessarilly 'wants' to go to hell nor does he 'rule' it, which is current-day's mind set. He just IS sin. I can't explain it.

I believe if you aren't a christian or if you've lived it horribly, you go to hell. Not Heaven.

Hell = the grave I guess you could say. But it won't be pleasent.
That is simply another teaching, that it won't be pleasant.

The concept that hell is an "on-going" place, is just that, a concept.
Torture eternally is next to not existent in the Old Testament, and only used a few times in the New Testament.

However, nihilism, and complete destruction is spoken of quite often in both Old and New Testament.

It is my belief that this teaching of an eternal place of pain, is something people began to teach, just in case that was truth, and they didn't want to be held accountable for teaching otherwise. Other teach eternal pain, just to fill seats. Either way, it would be ignorant to just accept such a thing without challenging it.

I hope you do challenge it, and everything else "people" teach you.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Try finding a verse that says there is NO hell.
I've yet to see a sufficient verse that supports the concept of a Hell of suffering and Lake of Brimstone and Fire and stuff like that, instead of if someone reads it literally as opposed to metaphorically. As well as the huge influx of problems that appear with such a concept..

But hey, that's just my view.
whistle.gif

Light On

That is simply another teaching, that it won't be pleasant.

The concept that hell is an "on-going" place, is just that, a concept.
Torture eternally is next to not existent in the Old Testament, and only used a few times in the New Testament.

However, nihilism, and complete destruction is spoken of quite often in both Old and New Testament.

It is my belief that this teaching of an eternal place of pain, is something people began to teach, just in case that was truth, and they didn't want to be held accountable for teaching otherwise. Other teach eternal pain, just to fill seats. Either way, it would be ignorant to just accept such a thing without challenging it.

I hope you do challenge it, and everything else "people" teach you.

I can see why you'd think that.

I guess... :sarcastic

I dunno.

I'm guessing you don't believe in heaven then either?

Just_me_Mike

I'm guessing you don't believe in heaven then either?
You need to understand, what I believe depends on what is supported by the language found in the bible.

A place of eternal pain and punishment reserved for those found not worthy of heaven is just not supported by the language of the bible. There are a handful of passages that elude to such a thing. However, when you dig into and study these handful of passages you find they do not actually support such a place as hell described above.

When it comes to heaven, the bible is full of information that specifically and carefully talks about an eternal existence of joy with God for ever. In other words it is fully supported by the language in the bible.

Understand?