• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview With Aqualung!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
1)First off let me thank you for volunteering for this interview. Many on the Forum know that you are a convert to LDS (Latter Day Saints aka Mormons). Can you give us a basic overview of the LDS faith?

Well, the LDS faith is a sect of christianity (no matter how much people insist it isn't). We claim to be the restored church of Jesus Christ. It's the restoration of the church he established during his earthly ministry, and as his church, we have a prophet who receives revelation from him and a priesthood authority that we can trace directly back to him. The main differences between our faith and other christian faiths are that we beleive that most people will go to heaven. "hell," as spoken of in the bible, is, for most people, a temporary (1000 yr) state during Jesus's millenial reign. After his reign, everybody will be resurected into a degree of glory that takes into regard both faith and works (another point of contention between some faiths). Another difference is that we beleive people can be saved even after they die. If some one for whatever reason doesn't accept Jesus during their lifetime, they still have the opportunity to repent and be baptised and saved after death. A third is that we belevie the father and the son are seperate beings, both with perfect bodies of flesh and bone.

2)What brought you to this new faith?

Well, as you may know (shown by my being here) I like to debate religion. One of the guys I got into a debate with was a mormon. I used the same arguments that I see a lot of people here using, most of which are just not true. The person told me that instead of just listening to the anti stuff, I should actually read a book of mormon. I did, met with the missionaries, prayed, and finally got baptised.

3)What has the impact been on your life since choosing this new path?

Well, I haven't had much of an impact, yet. Except I catch a lot more flak now. People continually insist that I should go drinking with them, and get mad (or at least perplexed) when I refuse. Others tell me to read the Bible (because obviously I haven't if I'm mormon :rolleyes: ). Some of the good things, though, are the blessings I have recieved after my baptism, such as the gift of the holy ghost. Another was that I would be a light to my family, and I can see the first signs of that.

4) Mormons sometimes encounter ridicule, if not out right hatred, even within the Christian faith. How do you, personally, deal with these sort of situations to "rise above"?

Depends who I'm dealing with. Some people I will show them the error of their ways (usually through debate). Those people are the ones who were like me, who wanted to know the truth, but just didn't. Others don't want to know. All they want to do is hate me, and they look for any reason they can. Those people I just walk away from.

5) How have your friends and family reacted to your new faith?

Well, one friend just laughed, and now he'll make a good-natured mormon joke or two, but we're pretty good still. Another was surprised, and I haven't talked to him again. My roommate thinks I'm weird, and keeps wondering why I'm not a christian anymore. Family-wise, most of my anti stuff that I originally argued with was from my dad, and he's pretty stubborn in his ways. We don't really discuss religion, but he doesn't like the desicion. My mom is just trying to understand me. She doesn't think our church is the one true church (which I do) but she does see the truth in all churches (as I do, too), and she's just trying to understand my church more. My brother keeps telling me, "come on, you have to get wasted at least once in your life!" He thinks I'm weird, but for the most part he doesn't really care.

6) What is your favorite color?

Blue.

7) What do you do for a living?

I'm a student, so I don't really do anything.

8) When not on RF what are some of your hobbies and favorite activities?

:eek: People have hobbies outside of RF?! I like to play the bass guitar, listen to music, and read about pretty much anything non-science related.

9) What are you top 5 favorite movies?

Die Hard; Montey Python; Silence of the Lambs; Airplane; Face/Off

10) Finally what sort of impact as RF had on you?

I now have much less of a life than I ever did before. :D I has helped me define other religions better (like pagan and wicca) and has also helped me hone my skills so that I can talk to people about my religion more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.