• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interrogator Oppurtunity

Khale

So, I got into work this morning and I check my e-mail, when what do I find? Well, apparently there are some slots open for interrogators in Iraq. I'm trying to decide right now whether or not I want to apply for this and I figured I'd get some outside opinions. So, what do you all think? Would this be worth it?

robtex

Veteran Member
Khale, what you need to do is network inside the ( you are air force right?) and build a group of buddies you can talk to about things like this who play for the same team as you and who are educated in this matter.

I will give you an example that happened to me in real life and worked well for me and hopefullly you will see the strength in it. I started studying martial arts in mid 80's and fell in love with it very quickly. But being really young at the time I realized there was just a ocean of styles philosphies and paths to take.

At the age of 19, after having studied Tae Kwon Do for two years I made a list of things I wanted to learn accomplish and focus on. Than I when all over central Texas, where I was living and networked with people that studied dozens of different arts and whom had more experience than I and used their wisdom to shape my training. The net result was I almost always joined a school or training group that was congruent to my goals because

1) I set up goals..flexible ones but at least an outline
2) I listened to people who had more wisdom than I on the subject I was interested in.

Applying this to your career, or term of enlistment, what would be a great idea is to decide what your long term miltary objectives are loosly speaking. They can be flexible but at least some artitecture of your general plan.

Than find people in the branch you are in (or other branches) with experience in the areas you are interested in and see if they are currently congruent with your goals. Build the network now that you will use for the intrim of your career so you have relationships later on. I met many really cool guys in systems I had no interest in but still went to them for advice.

At this point see if you can find a interrogatator who did a gig in Iraq or a few with and without combat experience and get their perspective. If you decide it is not the choice for you you still have made a contact and that has value in itself.

The networking becomes a two way street and sometimes people will come to you for advice. The thing to remember is one make sure it is a good idea for it to be a two way street every time you network with someone and two, make sure the advice you give is something you are knowledgable on.

Let us know how it works out.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I might be a little confused, since I fully admit to having no knowledge of the armed forces, and their terminology- but are interrogators people who use torture?

Khale

FeathersInHair said:
I might be a little confused, since I fully admit to having no knowledge of the armed forces, and their terminology- but are interrogators people who use torture?
Probably not in the sense that most people would think upon hearing the word torture, but yes. Interrogators extract information from enemy combatants and other persons. they can use anything from simple questioning to placing the individual under highly stressful situations for extended periods of time. Outright torture (guantanamo bay style) is very much illegal though.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Khale said:
Probably not in the sense that most people would think upon hearing the word torture, but yes. Interrogators extract information from enemy combatants and other persons. they can use anything from simple questioning to placing the individual under highly stressful situations for extended periods of time. Outright torture (guantanamo bay style) is very much illegal though.
'

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answer, since I honestly didn't know!

For me, at least, I know I could not handle such a job. Do you feel drawn to take it?

Khale

FeathersinHair said:
'

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answer, since I honestly didn't know!

For me, at least, I know I could not handle such a job. Do you feel drawn to take it?
I really would want to do this job i think. Mostly because of the once in a lifetime experience that it would be and (assumming that i do my job correctly) the oppurtunities that it could present me with.

Sadly though, I just found out last night that I am not yet qualified for the job. The job requires a Top-Secret clearance, and while my TS is currently under investigation it would not be ready in time for the deployment. *sigh*

Oh well, with any luck something like this will be offered next year.

Khale

robtex said:
Khale, what you need to do is network inside the ( you are air force right?) and build a group of buddies you can talk to about things like this who play for the same team as you and who are educated in this matter.

I will give you an example that happened to me in real life and worked well for me and hopefullly you will see the strength in it. I started studying martial arts in mid 80's and fell in love with it very quickly. But being really young at the time I realized there was just a ocean of styles philosphies and paths to take.

At the age of 19, after having studied Tae Kwon Do for two years I made a list of things I wanted to learn accomplish and focus on. Than I when all over central Texas, where I was living and networked with people that studied dozens of different arts and whom had more experience than I and used their wisdom to shape my training. The net result was I almost always joined a school or training group that was congruent to my goals because

1) I set up goals..flexible ones but at least an outline
2) I listened to people who had more wisdom than I on the subject I was interested in.

Applying this to your career, or term of enlistment, what would be a great idea is to decide what your long term miltary objectives are loosly speaking. They can be flexible but at least some artitecture of your general plan.

Than find people in the branch you are in (or other branches) with experience in the areas you are interested in and see if they are currently congruent with your goals. Build the network now that you will use for the intrim of your career so you have relationships later on. I met many really cool guys in systems I had no interest in but still went to them for advice.

At this point see if you can find a interrogatator who did a gig in Iraq or a few with and without combat experience and get their perspective. If you decide it is not the choice for you you still have made a contact and that has value in itself.

The networking becomes a two way street and sometimes people will come to you for advice. The thing to remember is one make sure it is a good idea for it to be a two way street every time you network with someone and two, make sure the advice you give is something you are knowledgable on.

Let us know how it works out.
Thanks for your advice robtex. Actually, part of the reason I posted on here was that I know that there are at least a few active duty/retired military personel here. I figured that there might be a chance that one of them had worked with or as an interogator before. Also, it would allow me to get an idea on what others, outside of the military, would think. After all if this would appear to others as a black mark on my character then it might be something that I have to rethink.