• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

interesting parallels

9harmony

"Arjun, the first to recognize Krishna...
Thou canst not!- nor, with human eyes, Arjuna! ever mayest!
Therefore I give thee sense divine. Have other eyes, new light!
And, look! This is My glory, unveiled to mortal sight!
Sanjaya. Then, O King! to God, so saying,
Stood, to Pritha's Son displaying
All the splendour, wonder, dread
Of His vast Almighty-head.
Out of countless eyes beholding,
Out of countless mouths commanding,
Countless mystic forms enfolding
In one Form: supremely standing
Countless radiant glories wearing,
Countless heavenly weapons bearing,
Crowned with garlands of star-clusters,
Robed in garb of woven lustres,
Breathing from His perfect Presence
Breaths of every subtle essence
Of all heavenly odours; shedding
Blinding brilliance; overspreading-
Boundless, beautiful- all spaces
With His all-regarding faces;
So He showed! If there should rise
Suddenly within the skies
Sunburst of a thousand suns
Flooding earth with beams undeemed-of,
Then might be that Holy One's
Majesty and radiance dreamed of!"

-Bhagavad Gita (Edwin Arnold tr) excerpt from Chapter XI

"Mirza Aqa Jan, the first to recognize Baha'u'llah...
To Mirza Aqa Jan, "the first to believe" in Him, designated later as Khadimu'-llah (Servant of God) -- a Babi youth, aflame with devotion, who, under the influence of a dream he had of the Bab, and as a result of the perusal of certain writings of Baha'u'llah, had precipitately forsaken his home in Kashan and traveled to Iraq, in the hope of attaining His presence, and who from then on served Him assiduously for a period of forty years in his triple function of amanuensis, companion and attendant -- to him Baha'u'llah, more than to any one else, was moved to disclose, at this critical juncture, a glimpse of the as yet unrevealed glory of His station. This same Mirza Aqa Jan, recounting to Nabil his experiences, on that first and never to be forgotten night spent in Karbila, in the presence of his newly-found Beloved, Who was then a guest of Haji Mirza Hasan-i-Hakim-Bashi, had given the following testimony: "As it was summer-time Baha'u'llah was in the habit of passing His evenings and of sleeping on the roof of the House.... That night, when He had gone to sleep, I, according to His directions, lay down for a brief rest, at a distance of a few feet from Him. No sooner had I risen, and ... started to offer my prayers, in a corner of the roof which adjoined a wall, than I beheld His blessed Person rise and walk towards me. When He reached me He said: 'You, too, are awake.' Whereupon He began to chant and pace back and forth. How shall I ever describe that voice and the verses it intoned, and His gait, as He strode before me! Methinks, with every step He took and every word He uttered thousands of oceans of light surged before my face, and thousands of worlds of incomparable splendor were unveiled to my eyes, and thousands of suns blazed their light upon me! In the moonlight that streamed upon Him, He thus continued to walk and to chant. Every time He approached me He would pause, and, in a tone so wondrous that no tongue can describe it, would say: 'Hear Me, My son. By God, the True One! This Cause will assuredly be made manifest. Heed thou not the idle talk of the people of the Bayan, who pervert the meaning of every word.' In this manner He continued to walk and chant, and to address me these words until the first streaks of dawn appeared.... Afterwards I removed His bedding to His room, and, having prepared His tea for Him, was dismissed from His presence." "God Passes By, excerpt from Chapter 7

The Hindu holy book is the Bhagavad Gita, note the first 3 letters. ;) "Bhas" is the root in sanscrit , meaning splendor and glory. :)

Baha'u'llah translated in English means "The Glory of God"

Does anyone have any other references to "Suns" in regards to the recognizing the prophet from other religions to add.

I'm always fascinated by these amazing parallels.

Love to all!

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi Amy, that is an interesting parallel, but I think you might want to read the rest of chapter 11: Bhagavad gita 11.

I found it while Googling for other references to 1000 suns. I'll keep looking.

luna

9harmony

lunamoth said:
Hi Amy, that is an interesting parallel, but I think you might want to read the rest of chapter 11: Bhagavad gita 11.

luna

thanks luna, yes, i've read it already, and i have thoughts about how it fits, but that's for another thread someday. ;)

lunamoth

Will to love
lunamoth said:

luna

It does end up very nice, though:

"The one who does all works for Me, and to whom I am the supreme goal, who is my devotee, who has no attachment, and is free from enmity towards any being attains Me, O Arjuna." (See also 8.22) (11.55)

:yes:

lunamoth

Will to love
9harmony said:
thanks luna, yes, i've read it already, and i have thoughts about how it fits, but that's for another thread someday. ;)

Why not here? I think it's a great passage.

But, now off to Google. :D

luna

9harmony

perhaps, i suppose it's as good as any....but unfortunately, i'm am unable to pursue it right now....

just got word that my dad had a serious stroke, no details, so prayers welcome....

Thanks!

i'll be back to this as soon as i can...

lunamoth

Will to love
9harmony said:
perhaps, i suppose it's as good as any....but unfortunately, i'm am unable to pursue it right now....

just got word that my dad had a serious stroke, no details, so prayers welcome....

Thanks!

i'll be back to this as soon as i can...

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your father, Amy. Keeping him and your family in my prayers.

Laurie

lunamoth

Will to love
9harmony said:
thank you both!

i update if i hear any news.

Please do, Amy. I know how devastating a stroke can be. Hopefully it is only very mild (my father has had such).

Laurie

9harmony

yes, he had one several months ago of that variety, which was a blessing in disguise as because of it they discovered he had cancer. he has only one treatment left to deal with that and now this...

all i know now is when the ambulance came he didn't know his name, but he knew the day of the week, he could squeeze with his right hand, but not his left. He was able to walk to the ambulance with help, but he had another seizure en route.... <sigh>

and mom is there alone, all of us kids are spread across the country...and her cell phone is off being in the hospital, so we haven't been able to get any updates...

i may be taking a road trip tonight, have to wait and see, my sister said she didn't want us to come yet...

9harmony

but hey, you all can discuss this (the topic of the thread) in the meantime if you want....i'll catch up later...

9harmony

i got tired of waiting so called the hospital...her cell phone had died, so couldn't call...

they don't think it was a stroke, they think he had a reaction to his treatment this morning...so once it's out of his system he should be fine.

she said he opened just opened his eyes for the first time, but didn't think he was really conscious. they have his hands tied down, so he won't pull the tube out of his throat.

she sounded good, and said we don't need to come right now, he's in good hands.

but i probably won't get back to this thread til tomorrow...proceed without me for now. :)

lunamoth

Will to love
9harmony said:
i got tired of waiting so called the hospital...her cell phone had died, so couldn't call...

they don't think it was a stroke, they think he had a reaction to his treatment this morning...so once it's out of his system he should be fine.

she said he opened just opened his eyes for the first time, but didn't think he was really conscious. they have his hands tied down, so he won't pull the tube out of his throat.

she sounded good, and said we don't need to come right now, he's in good hands.

but i probably won't get back to this thread til tomorrow...proceed without me for now. :)

Thanks for the update Amy. That sounds hopeful. No worries about this thread. It'll be here when you want to get back to it.

9harmony

update: :(

just found out that they essentially poisoned him. he was given a concentrated dose of the chemo. 3 times what he should have had.

they do not know what will happen.

just hoping he will wake up...

he's resting comfortably and snoring slightly, mom says he has a slight smile on his face, so at least he's having a pleasant dream.

lunamoth

Will to love
9harmony said:
update: :(

just found out that they essentially poisoned him. he was given a concentrated dose of the chemo. 3 times what he should have had.

they do not know what will happen.

just hoping he will wake up...

he's resting comfortably and snoring slightly, mom says he has a slight smile on his face, so at least he's having a pleasant dream.

Yikes. Oh, Amy, I am so sorry to hear this. :( and "Grrr" that such a mistake could be made. Doubling up those prayers for you and your father.

Laurie

9harmony

thanks Laurie,

please also offer prayers for the pharmacist, who is beside herself. she came down sobbing when she realized what she had done. :(

ayani

i hope your father comes out of this well, Amy. my prayers are with him, and with your family. i hope he's ok. :::L:::

9harmony

update:

he woke up and the nurse asked him how he was feeling and he said "pretty good for an old fart." :) so it appears his mental faculties are in tact. But we still do not know what damage was done to his organs due to the overdose. So prayers still welcome.

thanks everyone!

lunamoth

Will to love
9harmony said:
update:

he woke up and the nurse asked him how he was feeling and he said "pretty good for an old fart." :) so it appears his mental faculties are in tact. But we still do not know what damage was done to his organs due to the overdose. So prayers still welcome.

thanks everyone!
Good to hear this Amy. I hope that any damage is minimal.

Laurie