• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intellectually dishonest?

LogDog

Is there any degree of intellectual dishonesty involved in accepting as "Truth" supernatural claims that can't be proven?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Is there any degree of intellectual dishonesty involved in accepting as "Truth" supernatural claims that can't be proven?
Hmm. If intellectual dishonesty includes overlooking some aspects of a religion that don't make sense so you could continue to believe, then yes. I was certainly guilty of that.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No. Is there any degree of intellectual dishonesty involved in posting such questions as a cheap substitute for making cogent arguments?

Booko

Deviled Hen
The same degree of intellectual dishonesty that's involved in pretending that everything in life can be examined for truth or falsehood using solely the tools of science.

Popeyesays

ROTFLMAO!

Evangelical Atheism just amuses the heck out of me!

Regards:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :takeabow:

FatMan

How about a precursory look at what Intellectual Dishonesty means.

In order to do it, you'd have to make a conscious decision to ignore evidence that blatantly exists proving "The Truth".

Since no such condition is in place, no intellectual dishonesty can occur. It is a strawman argument.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Depends, of course, on how they define things like "truth" and "supernatural." And "proof."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How about a precursory look at what Intellectual Dishonesty means.

In order to do it, you'd have to make a conscious decision to ignore evidence that blatantly exists proving "The Truth".

Since no such condition is in place, no intellectual dishonesty can occur. It is a strawman argument.
Nevertheless, many on these forums do proclaim "the Truth".

LogDog

If there were any indication that women could become pregnant (barring the use of modern technology) without having intercourse or that the dead can come back to life, or that snakes can talk, I’d agree that accepting such supernatural claims wouldn’t be intellectually dishonest. When one holds onto a belief that is unjustified in the face of strong contradictory evidence, then it’s my position that there is at least some blatantly irrational thinking going on. If you advocate a position that is know to be false, you are being intellectually dishonest. If you are aware of evidence to the contrary but continue to advocate a belief in unfounded claims, you are being intellectually dishonest.

Booko

Deviled Hen
If there were any indication that women could become pregnant (barring the use of modern technology) without having intercourse or that the dead can come back to life, or that snakes can talk, I’d agree that accepting such supernatural claims wouldn’t be intellectually dishonest. When one holds onto a belief that is unjustified in the face of strong contradictory evidence, then it’s my position that there is at least some blatantly irrational thinking going on. If you advocate a position that is know to be false, you are being intellectually dishonest. If you are aware of evidence to the contrary but continue to advocate a belief in unfounded claims, you are being intellectually dishonest.

You're being inexact and probably shouldn't be. Women can become pregnant without intercourse. The question is whether they can become pregnant with some involvement of male sperm. To answer that question, I supposed you have to research parthenogenesis.

Also, I would point out that just because someone chooses to take a literal meaning of some story does not mean that a metophorical meaning isn't the better one.

Just because some people are metaphorically impaired doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

Why, to continue to do so when you have been told repeatedly there are other options might even be termed....intellectually dishonest.

LogDog

You're being inexact and probably shouldn't be. Women can become pregnant without intercourse. The question is whether they can become pregnant with some involvement of male sperm. To answer that question, I supposed you have to research parthenogenesis.

Also, I would point out that just because someone chooses to take a literal meaning of some story does not mean that a metophorical meaning isn't the better one.

Just because some people are metaphorically impaired doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

Why, to continue to do so when you have been told repeatedly there are other options might even be termed....intellectually dishonest.

So those who accept as literal the supernatural claims of their religion are wrong to do so? Why? Because you said so? What then should they take away from these supernatural claims? Were the writers of these claims expecting their highly uneducated audience of goat herders to be able to decipher what was to be taken as literal and what wasn’t?

If the example of a virgin giving birth is too inexact for your taste, substitute walking on water, turning it to wine or creating man from dirt.

Jeremiah

Intellectuality is not conducive to the spirit of truth, never was and never will be.

What do you mean when you say "spirit of truth"?

As to the OP, I think it is intellectually dishonest to disregard possibilities.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
As to the OP, I think it is intellectually dishonest to disregard possibilities.
Which possibilities? All of them? Including the possibility that there's an invisible green lemon sitting on your shoulder and dictating your every thought and action?