• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insomnia....

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
How do I love Yoga Nidra? let me count the ways:

Yoga-nidra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suffer with terrible insomnia, so rather than just laying there, staring at the ceiling, I begin to tense and relax each muscle in my body, starting at my toes and working up to my scalp. As I tense up each muscle/area, I breathe into that awareness and as I let go, I feel the tensions all going...

I may not fall asleep, but after doing that, I don't really need to.

All the best.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel your pain, technomage . I've had sleeping problems most of my life.

Just recently I started using an over-the-counter sleep aide and it seems to be helping.

Also developed this philosophy where if I wake up in the morning feeling like I need more sleep, I'll just stay in bed until I can get another hour or two.

Better a short day than a bad day.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My natural state seems to be insomnia unless I make sure to get a lot of exercise that day. Exercise, or sex, which is basically exercise.

Also developed this philosophy where if I wake up in the morning feeling like I need more sleep, I'll just stay in bed until I can get another hour or two.

Better a short day than a bad day.
I try that on the weekends sometimes, always to disaster. Like, I'll get 3-6 hours of sleep most weeknights, and then simply not want to wake up on the weekends, but that makes me be unable to sleep until very late that night, which means the next morning's even worse. The result is that Mondays are terrible, because getting to sleep at a reasonable time on Sunday is impossible, and I have to get up early Monday anyway.

So I try to avoid that, to varying degrees of success or failure.

technomage

Finding my own way
I feel your pain, technomage . I've had sleeping problems most of my life.

Just recently I started using an over-the-counter sleep aide and it seems to be helping.
I use melatonin three weeks on/one week off. Last night was the last night of my week off, so I should sleep like a baby tonight. :)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
*wonders if I should tell everybody that morning is coming an hour earlier tomorrow* :(

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I use melatonin three weeks on/one week off. Last night was the last night of my week off, so I should sleep like a baby tonight. :)

Cool. I don't know what's in the stuff I've been taking (figured I wouldn't be able to pronounce it anyway) but I may try melatonin next just so I'm not taking too much of any one thing.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't matter to me. It's time to wake up when my dogs' decide they'd like to go outside. :D

Dog light savings time. :D

^_^

Yeah that made my morning ridiculous today.

"It's already WHAT!?! .....Oh."

It crept up on me too. First I knew about it was when I noticed it was an hour earlier in the Arts Library than it was in the main campus library.

Of course, I immediately assumed I'd stepped into a time warp because, aside from being more interesting, I figured it would be less painful than realizing I'm going to have to be in an even bigger hurry tomorrow than I thought.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It crept up on me too. First I knew about it was when I noticed it was an hour earlier in the Arts Library than it was in the main campus library.

Of course, I immediately assumed I'd stepped into a time warp because, aside from being more interesting, I figured it would be less painful than realizing I'm going to have to be in an even bigger hurry tomorrow than I thought.
I also usually consider the possibility of time warps or spacetime irregularities before considering daylight savings.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I also usually consider the possibility of time warps or spacetime irregularities before considering daylight savings.

I may go home early just to outwit whoever's behind this diabolical conspiracy.

Probably the coffee cartels.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You guys are lucky that taking things help. Even if I manage to knock myself out I'll just wake up exhausted. Used to just be an annoyance and now is the norm.

technomage

Finding my own way
You guys are lucky that taking things help. Even if I manage to knock myself out I'll just wake up exhausted. Used to just be an annoyance and now is the norm.
Youch. Have you tried melatonin? It's not perfect, and it doesn't work for everyone (and if it does work, it gives some weeeeeird dreams), but it does seem to help for some people.