• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indigo Children Wikipedia Article half baked

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The wikipedia description of 'Indigo Children' is very negative. Perhaps its not on purpose, but the current Wikipedia article makes the mistake of sounding like Indigo traits come from children of bad parents. It also lists the dangers of using the label 'Indigo'.

The article is lacking in that it only looks at the negative aspects and digresses into discussions about Ritalin! It warns that 'Indigo' is used as an alternative to diagnosis. I suppose that can happen. I say there is more to it. Yes, you can fail to give someone with problems a diagnosis; but this doesn't mean that all stubborn, curious, creative children have a medical condition.

The way I see it is that Nancy Tapp, whomever she is or was, saw that children were having better childhoods and wanted to make space for some of the special results. So maybe she lied or not about psychic phenonema. Maybe she sold books doing this, but the concept of Indigo Children has caught on for a reason. Fact: there are some special children who are: empathic, curious and strong-willed, perceived to be strange etc. Fact: sometimes parents panic if their children are a little unusual, and that is not good for their children. Fact: the main thing is to not give up on children that are unusual and to value them.

The article stresses that problem parents tend to call kids 'Indigo' instead of taking them to see a psychiatrist. I'd say the concept is pretty decent. You can still diagnose a child considered 'Indigo'.

As a religious movement? I think its completely screwed. I'm not one who believes in New Age or 'Spiritual powers' unless we're strictly talking about brainpower. Einstein had a mental and therefore spiritual gift. Any sort of mysterious woo woo is not to me spiritual power, but as you like it.

Indigo children - Wikipedia

Care to disagree? Want to go Indigo on me for a few rounds? Has your vision turned Indigo? Have you got a little Indigo on your tongue?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The problem with Wikipedia is that it can be anonymously edited by anyone with their own axe to grind.

The article you linked has been edited over 500 times in the last 5 years. Many editors completely unqualified.

I dont know who H9278 or 172.58.63.3 is, and it seems there is something of a battle going on for your referenced link between people editing the page and people undoing the edits
Page history - Wikipedia

epronovost

The problem with Wikipedia is that it can be anonymously edited by anyone with their own axe to grind.

The article you linked has been edited over 500 times in the last 5 years. Many editors completely unqualified.

I dont know who H9278 or 172.58.63.3 is, and it seems there is something of a battle going on for your referenced link between people editing the page and people undoing the edits
Page history - Wikipedia

Sounds like New Age fans trying to polish a turd.

Wildstar

The wikipedia description of 'Indigo Children' is very negative. Perhaps its not on purpose, but the current Wikipedia article makes the mistake of sounding like Indigo traits come from children of bad parents. It also lists the dangers of using the label 'Indigo'.

The article is lacking in that it only looks at the negative aspects and digresses into discussions about Ritalin! It warns that 'Indigo' is used as an alternative to diagnosis. I suppose that can happen. I say there is more to it. Yes, you can fail to give someone with problems a diagnosis; but this doesn't mean that all stubborn, curious, creative children have a medical condition.

The way I see it is that Nancy Tapp, whomever she is or was, saw that children were having better childhoods and wanted to make space for some of the special results. So maybe she lied or not about psychic phenonema. Maybe she sold books doing this, but the concept of Indigo Children has caught on for a reason. Fact: there are some special children who are: empathic, curious and strong-willed, perceived to be strange etc. Fact: sometimes parents panic if their children are a little unusual, and that is not good for their children. Fact: the main thing is to not give up on children that are unusual and to value them.

The article stresses that problem parents tend to call kids 'Indigo' instead of taking them to see a psychiatrist. I'd say the concept is pretty decent. You can still diagnose a child considered 'Indigo'.

As a religious movement? I think its completely screwed. I'm not one who believes in New Age or 'Spiritual powers' unless we're strictly talking about brainpower. Einstein had a mental and therefore spiritual gift. Any sort of mysterious woo woo is not to me spiritual power, but as you like it.

Indigo children - Wikipedia

Care to disagree? Want to go Indigo on me for a few rounds? Has your vision turned Indigo? Have you got a little Indigo on your tongue?

The indigo phenomena may or may not have credible origins. However, as with many labels which make one special, the description seems to be deliberately vague. If the indigo phenomena is credible, it is rare and as with many similar labels, many pretenders and deluded sorts claim the label. Perhaps they hope it will give them some respite from their pain and loneliness, though most just end up lured into a community of people just like them as well as those who prey on people like them.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@Brickjectivity :

There's kind of multiple things going on, and I feel indigo children is a crazy caricature of New Age in general, probably advanced on far right radio programs. Or by someone just trying to sell books. Any way, the multiple things going on:

1. Some New Age people believe in starseeds. These people may have enhanced abilities in some areas, and be distant and different from the crowd, yet they aren't guaranteed to achieve a higher calling or be more or less moral than anyone else. It's more about finding your past life and the pursuit of it, that people might mention starseeds. To say someone is a starseed is usually to say their soul in a past life may have been part of an advanced race, yet I'd consider the people no longer being reincarnated as at an advantage compared to these sometimes enhanced, sometimes enhanced but very flawed, individuals. And not all outwardly gifted people are necessarily starseeds, nor are all starseeds outwardly brilliant. Whether you are a starseed is a revelation that usually happens through readings, through things happening in your life pointing to it, and maybe even through the right astrology at the right time. To use an analogy, say we are playing an almost Dungeons and Dragons style board game in which people have to figure out what they are. Let's say in this game, elves are special and thus have +2 added to a random stat. But no one initially knows who an elf is, and we still don't have the other stats. That's kind of what happens when a bunch of New Age people get together who aren't masters/guides of the subject. So you see a whole lot of this in a regular New Age circle, just trying to figure things out with a few wondering whether they might be an elf/starseed, rather than people talking about how to have their kids skip a psychiatrist appointment. And while people may sincerely believe the things they are talking about in this Dungeons and Dragons style game, it still becomes messy to diagnose it as what they are talking about could all fall under the umbrella of religious beliefs.

2. There are children that are mad geniuses. Surely you've seen a few of these wonders on TV. Some may need a trip to the psychiatrist for some things, but it isn't guaranteed.

3. Then there are kids who do indeed have Asperger's etc.

4. There are maybe older people who are sometimes different and maybe a little more enlightened at life or on the subject of New Age or spiritual endeavors, and without reading lots of books to achieve it. These are the type of people who put themselves through exile and torture and long hours of meditation on purpose, nearly going mad in the process, that come out at the other side being able to kind of give wisdom to others. But they aren't kids.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yes, we Gen-Xers are all evil, even according to the New Agers. Nothing new to see here folks, move along.