• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incest, not just for the Weekly World News: ‘I slept with my half-sibling’

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The article is about the need for reform for fertility clinics. Though not in all, but too often, doctors of some clinics have at times leant a hand when it came to providing the needed materials. Too often there was not a public record of this. The women in the title had sex with her half brother and only found out about the relationship years later.

' Victoria Hill never quite understood how she could be so different from her father – in looks and in temperament. The 39-year-old licensed clinical social worker from suburban Connecticut used to joke that perhaps she was the mailman’s child.

Her joke eventually became no laughing matter. Worried about a health issue, and puzzled because neither of her parents had suffered any of the symptoms, Hill purchased a DNA testing kit from 23andMe a few years ago and sent her DNA to the genomics company.

What should have been a routine quest to learn more about herself turned into a shocking revelation that she had many more siblings than just the brother she grew up with – the count now stands at 22. Some of them reached out to her and dropped more bombshells: Hill’s biological father was not the man she grew up with but a fertility doctor who had been helping her mother conceive using donated sperm. That doctor, Burton Caldwell, a sibling told her, had used his own sperm to inseminate her mother, allegedly without her consent.

But the most devastating revelation came this summer, when Hill found out that one of her newly discovered siblings had been her high school boyfriend – one she says she easily could have married.

“I was traumatized by this,” Hill told CNN in an exclusive interview. “Now I’m looking at pictures of people thinking, well, if he could be my sibling, anybody could be my sibling.” '

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Gene expression tends to be much stronger when one uses inbreeding. Traits that make an individual stronger have a much higher chance of doubling up since they can come from both sides. At the same time negative traits also cam come from both sides. A farmer has no problem harvesting a weak individual early. I would hate to see that applied to people. With a plant you may toss a whole crop and go back to the drawing board. With a cow you have veal. With people besides having some very strong individuals you are apt to have some very weak ones. I do not support the measures needed to keep an inbred population of humans healthy which is why we shun incest.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Even some other group animals will kick out their offspring to avoid bottlenecking. And as rough as it may seem, a new lion taking over the pride is necessary. It seems in some species there is at least a partial natural aversion?
I grew up on a farm. And to avoid rats and mice we kept cats. Just a mama cat and her kittens. A neighbor over a half a mile away had a tom. And he was a very active tom. I thunk think that he was the father of the cat that eventually became our new mama kitty. And then the father of her daughter as well. We could tell by the number of toes. The number of polydactyl cats went up over the years. I guess that Hemingway had the same problem with his: