• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In The Temple Of The Deer

David

In The Temple Of The Deer

Shivering in a tree stand

under the full moon of a February night,

in the orchard where apples had grown

when the grass was green and lush,

I contemplate the seven deer below me

as they forage with quiet brown eyes,

and listen as their delicate hooves

chip the apples from the crusted snow,

I covet their quietness

and their internal quietness that knows nothing of questions

and thus has no need for answers;

and in my mind I descend and walk among them

as one would walk between the pillars of a temple.

David

NetDoc said:
When does it get to the shooting part? :D

Well actually it never happened. i was driving to work one morning and I saw the same pasture across the road that I had seen every day for twenty five years and all at once this came to me. It just flooded into me. I wrote it down. It actually won a prize of $35 in a League of American Pen Woman's contest in the Syracuse area.

If you'd like to see more of my poems you may access them at this link to PW Magazine.

http://www.photoaspects.com/poetry/Zine/david.html

Also there is a link to my web sites where I have my own poetry and a web site where there is a collection of love poems written by my girl friend and I.
http://www.geocities.com/davidrocheandlisa/davespage.html

If you check it out I'd be interested to know what you think. Any criticism at all.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Glad about the no shooting part... I have never recovered fully from watching Bambi as a kid.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You led us all to believe that you were sitting in a tree stand with the express purpose of killing a deer.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Shivering in a tree stand...."

I've never heard of someone sitting in a tree stand for the view.

You do know what a tree-stand is?

Lightkeeper

Seyorni said:

I am a published poet and I have no problem with the tree-stand and why he is there. This is a beautiful poem. Why do you feel the need to keep harping on this?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Seyorni said:

I thank you for your kind question, but I have heard it used in the form of someone simply wanting to be amongst the wildlife without being seen. (Taking photographs, simply watching the deer.) Nothing else in the beautiful poem led to to the belief that there was any sort of hunting.

(Lightkeeper, why doesn't it suprise me that you're a published poet? Maybe it's because your posts are always so lovely?)

David

Lightkeeper said:
I am a published poet and I have no problem with the tree-stand and why he is there. This is a beautiful poem. Why do you feel the need to keep harping on this?

I didn't realize that I was.