• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the beginning

Kowalski

It has often been said that the parts of the OT borrows much its content from other ME cultures older than the bible. Anyway, I would say that is a fair assesment.

Take the myth of creation by the Egyptian NK state God Amun, whilst Genesis doesn't say anything about God ejaculating, it does seem to have leaned on Egyptian thelogical thinking.

Here is the relevant part of a text from Karnak Temple which details Amun's moment of creation. As I've remarked the theologians showed remakable insights into the origin of the universe, even if they couched it the language of the day, here then, the supreme first God, Amun creates the universe.

" In the beginning there was chaos

Chaos was darkness, the waters of the abyss.

The first God, Amun arose from the waters, using only his own strength to give form to his body.

Amun existed alone.

All was his.

Yesterday and tomorrow were his.

He took his penis in his hand. He made love to his fist. He took his exquisite joy with his fingers. From the flame of his fiery blast which he kindled with his hand, the universe was formed"

Now, notice that the expression for his climax is termed ' fiery blast' a near perfect description of the big bang, which is now thought not to be so much a bang as a super hot expansion of photons , occuring at the speed of 1 second to the power of minus 43. From this, all matter and energy in the universe was created.

This is somewhat more convincing than genesis, Amun was thought to have contained both male and female within, so that when he makes love to his fist, he makes love his female element, His Shakti if you like. Anyway, I find this so much more enagaging than genesis.

Kowalski

Kowalski

Oh, come now, Amun's mighty blast contained all the matter and energy in the Universe. The rites of Amun are sexual in nature, which reflected the pre-occupation of the egyptains with fertility and continuem.

K

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Genesis fitted very well with the pre Christian times. When people were acustomed to and knew how to interpret traditional stories.
Today fundamentalists have forgotten those skills and take the stories literally, which really shows a weakness in interpreting their faith.

Terry

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Perhaps that might make a good discussion topic-' what is your favorite creation story, and what do you think it can be interpreted as conveying?'

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
For you, Feathers, anything........
icon12.gif

CMIYC

Kowalski said:
It has often been said that the parts of the OT borrows much its content from other ME cultures older than the bible. Anyway, I would say that is a fair assesment.

Take the myth of creation by the Egyptian NK state God Amun, whilst Genesis doesn't say anything about God ejaculating, it does seem to have leaned on Egyptian thelogical thinking.

Here is the relevant part of a text from Karnak Temple which details Amun's moment of creation. As I've remarked the theologians showed remakable insights into the origin of the universe, even if they couched it the language of the day, here then, the supreme first God, Amun creates the universe.

" In the beginning there was chaos

Chaos was darkness, the waters of the abyss.

The first God, Amun arose from the waters, using only his own strength to give form to his body.

Amun existed alone.

All was his.

Yesterday and tomorrow were his.

He took his penis in his hand. He made love to his fist. He took his exquisite joy with his fingers. From the flame of his fiery blast which he kindled with his hand, the universe was formed"

Now, notice that the expression for his climax is termed ' fiery blast' a near perfect description of the big bang, which is now thought not to be so much a bang as a super hot expansion of photons , occuring at the speed of 1 second to the power of minus 43. From this, all matter and energy in the universe was created.

This is somewhat more convincing than genesis, Amun was thought to have contained both male and female within, so that when he makes love to his fist, he makes love his female element, His Shakti if you like. Anyway, I find this so much more enagaging than genesis.

Kowalski
That to me would explain why our world is so focused on sex. Look at some of the tribes eons ago. Sacrificing virgins, the poor teens they didn’t kill ,they raped them.Even the OT largely focuses on sex slaves and worse yet, god actually brings out laws on how they should be treated. Hmmmm! Makes you think don’t it?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
CMIYC said:
That to me would explain why our world is so focused on sex. Look at some of the tribes eons ago. Sacrificing virgins, the poor teens they didn’t kill ,they raped them.Even the OT largely focuses on sex slaves and worse yet, god actually brings out laws on how they should be treated. Hmmmm! Makes you think don’t it?
I think you may be barking up the right tree, but at the wrong branch!

Sex is paramount in nature - it is possibly the most imporant facet of nature; without reproduction, the entirety of mankid and all of nature would die out completely. It is the basis of survival.

The fact that sex is also pleasurable (presumably to encourage us to prolong our lineage) - has the side effect of people abusing the intention of it. Certainly, I think I can say authoritively that The Roman Catholic view on sexual activity is the purest - unfortunately, those of us with an abundance of hormones and libido might make the 'putting into practise of the tennets of Catholicism'a tad unbearable. But that is human kind - we are not perfect - none of us is without sin.

Personally I would do my utmost to be without sin - and that pressure alone tends to lead me into sin. Sounds daft ? - you come inside my head and have a peek whenever you like!;)

CMIYC

michel said:
I think you may be barking up the right tree, but at the wrong branch!

Sex is paramount in nature - it is possibly the most imporant facet of nature; without reproduction, the entirety of mankid and all of nature would die out completely. It is the basis of survival.

The fact that sex is also pleasurable (presumably to encourage us to prolong our lineage) - has the side effect of people abusing the intention of it. Certainly, I think I can say authoritively that The Roman Catholic view on sexual activity is the purest - unfortunately, those of us with an abundance of hormones and libido might make the 'putting into practise of the tennets of Catholicism'a tad unbearable. But that is human kind - we are not perfect - none of us is without sin.

Personally I would do my utmost to be without sin - and that pressure alone tends to lead me into sin. Sounds daft ? - you come inside my head and have a peek whenever you like!;)
You might be right and you might be wrong. Not all living things rely on sex for reproduction., some can reproduce themselves. If they can, why not the rest as nature shows, it is not impossible. Something for you to research. :bounce

Apotheosis

There are some major benefits that species who reproduce sexually have over those that reproduce asexually. I wont add the benefits, as you may want to do the research.

CMIYC

Apotheosis said:
There are some major benefits that species who reproduce sexually have over those that reproduce asexually. I wont add the benefits, as you may want to do the research.
Yes correct; the benefit is, looking for a perfect gene to carry on the species.

OK, I agree on the benefit, but god is perfect and how can someone perfect make something imperfect? Not unless we were never perfect and only through gene regeneration can this perfection be achieved. Interesting point, I hope your not a Christian fundamentalist. Hehe!

Apotheosis

How can someone perfect create something imperfect? Because that perfect someone chose too. If I am the perfect cabinet crafter, i can craft a perfect cabinet, but if I want, I can make an imperfect one as well.

CMIYC

Apotheosis said:
How can someone perfect create something imperfect? Because that perfect someone chose too. If I am the perfect cabinet crafter, i can craft a perfect cabinet, but if I want, I can make an imperfect one as well.
Then that would make god unjust for punishing his creation on imperfection?

Hmmmmm!

joeboonda

When God finished his creation the looked at it and said it was "very good." Genesis 1:31. So he made a perfect creation, with no death or disease, etc. He only allowed it to fall so that man may have freewill to accept or reject their creator and by doing so they are rejecting God and his loving ways, and turning to Satan and living an evil life of selfishness and greed and hate, etc. Satan tempted Eve to sin, so blame him.

CMIYC

joeboonda said:
When God finished his creation the looked at it and said it was "very good." Genesis 1:31. So he made a perfect creation, with no death or disease, etc. He only allowed it to fall so that man may have freewill to accept or reject their creator and by doing so they are rejecting God and his loving ways, and turning to Satan and living an evil life of selfishness and greed and hate, etc. Satan tempted Eve to sin, so blame him.
OK. I’ll put it in a different way. If I was created perfect then temptation should never be an issue. To me perfect means complete, body mind sole. SO, NO, we were never perfect.

CMIYC

FeathersinHair said:
Ah, true... Unless one's fish is complete, we can never be perfect. (Sorry, had to take that one! :D)
But in the beginning we were made perfect….wouldn’t that include flesh?

I’m under the assumption complete would mean complete.