• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"In the Aftermath of an Act of Darkness" (Part II Story Time)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Late last night, I began thinking about some events in my past that I usually go year to year without spending much time in recollection of them. I wrote a couple relatively short posts about a few of those events, which you can find here: The Mojo Tokers. If you are interested in these sorts of things -- and not everyone is -- I recommend you read those two posts first, before reading this one. When I left off last night, I was uncertain that I'd be interested in continuing the story. But several kind people have urged me to do so, and besides, I'm discovering that once one opens an old creaky door into the past, it can be hard to immediately shut it again.​

A few decades after the events I've been writing about, my younger brother and I were washing the dishes from our Christmas feast. It was around three in the morning, but we had (and still have) a tradition of every year cleaning up the dishes so that his wife is not tempted to tackle the job when she wakes up the next morning.

That year, he at some point turned to me and -- apparently out of the blue -- asked in a casual voice, "Did mom tell you that she once almost lost her job because of you?"

When he turned to me, and saw how stunned I was, he went on. "Don't worry about it. It was ages ago, all water under the bridge now. I was just curious if she ever told you. I'm betting she didn't. It wouldn't be like her to."

"No. You're right. She never has. Is this about when I was sixteen?"

"Yes." Bro said, sounding like he was picking his words with care. "She told me and your brother to keep it to ourselves. Not give you a hint of it. But we were to ready ourselves for bad news that might come any day, because there was talk of removing her. Some people were saying she should be held accountable for having so poorly raised you that you would do what you did. If she'd lost her job, she would not have found another in the town. We'd have to leave town. Maybe to Springfield.

"More than half the town was in panic that you were some kind of existential threat to the community. The Mayor was talking with the District Attorney, the Sheriff wanted to drive you out into the country and teach you a lesson. Mom rallied every friend she had, called in every chip owed her, pulled out all the stops, and defended you like a pissed off bear. But even she couldn't predict what was going to happen -- and you know how good she is at predicting things! It was months before she knew you were safe."

"Oh ****! ****!"

"Easy! It's too late to be upset about it now! I just thought it was finally time you should know."

Now and then, for years after my sixteenth year, one person or another would fill me in on a piece of the story that I was unaware of at the time of the events. But my brother's revelation was by far the most disturbing. I vividly imagined my mother hiding from me her fears, putting on a brave face for my sake, in order not to burden me at perhaps the most vulnerable moment in my life past infancy. Thoughts of how hard it had gone for her hounded me for days after our talk.

Life has taught me that almost no matter how miserably you screw things up, someone will sooner or later take your side. Almost always. I've heard it's an American trait. "Sympathy for the underdog." You've got to be a pretty nasty person that no one -- absolutely no one -- wants anything to do with you. In my case, I had three people on my high school's faculty that stood up for me. Foremost was the librarian, then her lover, who taught Biology and Earth Science. Last, the principal.

Yet, the person who most had my back was a fellow student, Jeff. Jeff was perhaps the gentlest, hardest to provoke boy in the high school. He might also have been the smartest, most thoughtful, and perceptive, too. He was short, but powerfully built. Only once in the few brief years I knew him did I ever see him angry, and then a side of him I had not imagined could exist emerged like a bolt of lightning.

Jeff had a cousin. A girl in middle school. One day, he and I came upon her the same moment an older boy -- older than her, older than us -- suddenly reached out to squeeze one of her breasts. Jeff flashed into action before I could even absorb what had just happened. He lashed his fists out to rain like a storm on the boy's face and throat. The boy went down. It all happened so fast, and was so disorienting, that I at first thought Jeff had gone crazy, attacking the boy without even the least reason or provocation. I had to wait what seemed like seconds for my brain to catch up and grasp the truth.

Later, Jeff confided in me his cousin had once been sexually assaulted by a relative -- he wouldn't say who -- and that when he'd seen her attacked right before his eyes, he could have killed the boy, and might have, if the boy had not collapsed so quickly. "They would have never let me off." Jeff said, matter of factly, and for once I was reflective enough to grasp he was right. Jeff was a Willis. He was fated.

He was also too proud to ask, but I knew what I had to promise. "I'll swear I saw him swing first."

To be continued...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So are you going to tell us what this evil deed was that set so many people against you???

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Oh, goodness, lady! We'd never ask your age, why would you ask such a question? :p

Exactly! Can't a man have some privacy around this joint? Must one's 'tell all' story actually tell all? What's the world coming to?

Actually, I'm not sure whether to mention what I did or not. I'm putting off deciding that until I've told the rest of the story. Even now, 50 years later, it's not something I'm proud of, so to speak.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Exactly! Can't a man have some privacy around this joint? Must one's 'tell all' story actually tell all? What's the world coming to?

Actually, I'm not sure whether to mention what I did or not. I'm putting off deciding that until I've told the rest of the story. Even now, 50 years later, it's not something I'm proud of, so to speak.
If I might just descend from the humorous to the more practical plane for a moment -- while confession may be good for the soul, it's often not so great for the reputation. In cases like this one, I rather suspect that saying "I did something I'm not proud of" is quite enough.

After all, there's not a single one of us here who couldn't, if we were being honest, say exactly the same --- and then not want to talk about it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I might just descend from the humorous to the more practical plane for a moment -- while confession may be good for the soul, it's often not so great for the reputation. In cases like this one, I rather suspect that saying "I did something I'm not proud of" is quite enough.

After all, there's not a single one of us here who couldn't, if we were being honest, say exactly the same --- and then not want to talk about it.

Thank you so much for your exceptionally wise and foresighted advice!

amorphous_constellation

It seems a bit too familiar to me.. I wish my youngest brother would straighten up somehow, otherwise I'm sure he'll end up in a worse place in life.. I borrowed him my old car, and he got pulled over so many times, they pulled his license.. a couple months ago, he kicked a couch so hard he broke his foot. He has argued horribly with my other brother on social media about politics.. I hope he doesn't break up with girlfriend, and she can just take care of him, or fix him.. and that maybe someday he can actually hold a job. If he can't stabilize, I think he just take his bike and fly out of here, and stay out of everyone's hair

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems a bit too familiar to me.. I wish my youngest brother would straighten up somehow, otherwise I'm sure he'll end up in a worse place in life.. I borrowed him my old car, and he got pulled over so many times, they pulled his license.. a couple months ago, he kicked a couch so hard he broke his foot. He has argued horribly with my other brother on social media about politics.. I hope he doesn't break up with girlfriend, and she can just take care of him, or fix him.. and that maybe someday he can actually hold a job. If he can't stabilize, I think he just take his bike and fly out of here, and stay out of everyone's hair

Sorry to hear about your brother. I've seen some pretty remarkable turnarounds, but not often. They're a little more likely to happen in middle age than in youth, so far as I can figure out.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, particularly when past actions could still have serious consequences.
If it were to be revealed that Sunstone was, in fact, the perp on the grassy knoll, for example....