• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imagine if all Christians were following this

A Vestigial Mote

I liked the article's ideas and the possibility of their being so much more to the statements... but there is what I consider a BIG hole in these suppositions. Let's say you get back-handed on the right cheek (as a superior striking an inferior) and then you turn the left cheek to your attacker. The article says this: "The only way the superior could continue the beating would be with an overhand blow with the fist--which would have meant treating the peasant as an equal." - but they completely side-step a fore-handed slap with the right hand. Basically, you can still right-handedly slap someone's left cheek without resorting to an "overhand blow with the fist". A slap in the face is a slap in the face - and punching with fists is punching with fists. I am pretty sure that "peers" who took to fighting in these cultures didn't use fore-handed slapping as their preferred method of fighting... ever.

meghanwaterlillies

Matthew 5
You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. if anyone would sue you and take your tunic,8 let him have your cloak as well. if someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

Two billion Christians in the world. Imagine if they were all doing that.
Matthew 5
You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. if anyone would sue you and take your tunic,8 let him have your cloak as well. if someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

Two billion Christians in the world. Imagine if they were all doing that.
Dude well this was taken wrong I don't think I believe you shouldn't resist evil. If I do I might save u too. Please remember they crusified the word which means they tried to prevent a christian from taking a powerful defense. Words.....

meghanwaterlillies

The end of Western civilization if you are suggesting become pacifists.
Hmmm no ones actually picking a fight but your missing the point of acting irrationally or something I can't really describe the original illuminated were not playing games where not attacking or bullying past any return they weren't asking for martyrs or suicides or suicide bombing or murders they were more the like original jewish christians who realized that they pushed past the point of willfully sinning to stop them from defense and God does know that they actually do fear him its part of your constitution and bill of rights in some.

Shad

Veteran Member
Hmmm no ones actually picking a fight but your missing the point of acting irrationally or something I can't really describe the original illuminated were not playing games where not attacking or bullying past any return they weren't asking for martyrs or suicides or suicide bombing or murders they were more the like original jewish christians who realized that they pushed past the point of willfully sinning to stop them from defense and God does know that they actually do fear him its part of your constitution and bill of rights in some.

I'm not America and neither document is a Christian reference.