• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Image Problem

seeker69

I hope I’m not in the wrong place here, just wondering. Seems to me the Left Hand Path folks have an image problem. I mean, when you see Satanists or other what I would consider LHP folks portrayed in film or TV or even individual practitioners present themselves, it’s always dark, gloomy, scary looking. Why is that? Maybe I’m missing the point, but wasn’t Lucifer the Light Bringer, The Morning Star and the most beautiful creation? At least that’s what I understood from some Bible classes I took. Can someone explain?

Erebus

I hope I’m not in the wrong place here, just wondering. Seems to me the Left Hand Path folks have an image problem. I mean, when you see Satanists or other what I would consider LHP folks portrayed in film or TV or even individual practitioners present themselves, it’s always dark, gloomy, scary looking. Why is that? Maybe I’m missing the point, but wasn’t Lucifer the Light Bringer, The Morning Star and the most beautiful creation? At least that’s what I understood from some Bible classes I took. Can someone explain?

There are a few reasons for this, perhaps the most important being it's a lot of fun! Five pointed stars, skulls, black candles and such make the practice seem somewhat forbidden. This might put a lot of people off, but bear in mind that people of a LHP mindset thrive off exploring the forbidden.
Aside from the theatrical side of it, I've noticed a lot of LHP followers seem naturally drawn to darker images. I know that even from a very young age and despite being brought up as a Christian, I was always fascinated by death, night, gothic horror and such. I think that a lot of people in the LHP are born to fit naturally in with it.

You need to remember that TV / Film is not real, the idea of a Satanist all dressed in black, with dark mysterious eyes, a snake on his neck and a skull on his desk... well, we have seen it in real life, but doesn't really speak for all of the LHP practicioners.

We have, as stated above, a natural predisposition for the dark side of life. I would say that we tend to be more curious than most, so we seek out for the mysteries, we are attracted by them, for what is left out, for what is left in the "dark".

You also need to know that not all LHPps identify themselves with, let's say, Lucifer. Most of the LHPps rather identify themselves with darker gods or myths, or with a darker self-image.

Now, the fact that most people think of us as eccentric is actually good for us, only those who look out for what is different will actually come to us while most people will be reject by our aesthetics in general and since we are not concerned with having as much people as we can on our side that's fine.

Regards.

Last edited:

seeker69

Unless there is substance problem, image is not a problem.

good point.

and yes, I do realize movie/TV isn't real and the dark imagery has some appeal, but not for me. Maybe I'm way off on what the LHP is all about; maybe it is about the opposite of what Christians pretend to be about. Maybe I should read up more.

Daelach

Setian
We have, as stated above, a natural predisposition for the dark side of life. I would say that we tend to be more curious than most, so we seek out for the mysteries, we are attracted by them, for what is left out, for what is left in the "dark".

Correct. By the time someone decides to explore the LHP, he will have lived for quite some years, so the "nice" things are not anathema, but they are just so.. KNOWN. Which, at times, translates into "boring".

only those who look out for what is different will actually come to us

Strike - it serves as a natural "filter" which will keep the "sheeple" away.

Another point is: why would someone walk the LHP? I mean, why not just being happy with the off-the-shelf-life of "my career, my car, my house, my wife, my children and my dog" (in that order, of course)? It is seldom enough that someone will ask questions like "what am I? why am I here?", and most of those who do are rather interested in not asking, so they choose some cheap off-the-shelf-belief which will remedy the doubt.

One of the reasons is that such a person might have come into contact with the darker sides of life which can be a shaking experience. Shaking in the sense of making someone understand how fragile and temporary existence actually is.

So it is natural to ask "my last shirt won't have pockets, so what is the worth of money or a career, in the end?". Thoughts like "how do I want to look back on my life upon my last breath?" can arise quite naturally.

In fact, LHP of course includes "dark" practices, just read about the Aghora folks. Yes, they have sex amidst of corpses. That's what society will notice because its shocking. That's what lurid newspaper will feature. You see, nobody will write about the other nights where the Aghora couple just slept at home. Everybody does it, so nobody will notice this part of the LHP; it stays invisible.

What I mean is: while the LHP also aims at including the heterogeneous part of its surrounding culture, it cannot be reduced to that part. The LHP aims for completeness. At including the light side and the dark one.

Adelice

Is their a sect/variant of Luciferianism that doesn't follow the "dark" side?

Most part of the luciferian followers dont actually follow the dark side, some believe that an luciferian that doesnt pulls itself away of satanism will never grow into his new set of beliefs, and normally lucifer and satan in the luciferian culture are seen has separate beings. I really dont understand the use of the dark forces and all that stuff when relating to lucifer, is more like an christian satanic cult.

So yes, there are actual persons who believe on lucifer and doesnt wear black robes and silly garments like on tv, thats just silly and probably more related to the illuminati or KKK practices than satanic ones.