• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a hypocrite because I consume animal products

vulcanlogician

most would be more accurate, the standard industry production model.

There's a big difference between how, say, a dairy farmer treats his cow and how a factory farm attendant treats a cow. The factory farm worker is alienated from the cow. His job may be to go around and extract dead cows from their stalls with a forklift. In this case, THIS is the kind of contact the cow receives on the daily.

On a small dairy farm however, things are different. Farmers often name and create bonds with the cows. The relationship is still exploitative, no doubt. But it isn't as cold and procedural. When a cow gets sick, a vet is called, and only as a last resort is the animal put down. Much different from hiring a person to extract dead animals.

I'm not saying that dairy farming is good for cows, even at the small farm level. It's fundamentally exploitative wherever you find it.

But it's quite right to point out that different handlers of these animals matters as far as the animals' welfare goes. And there are (believe it or not) dairy farmers out there who treat their cows with a modicum of respect.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
“In the time it takes to read this entire article, an area of Brazil’s Amazon rainforest larger than 200 football fields will have been destroyed, much of it for soybean cultivation, much of which is fed to livestock.”

The article says much of the soy grown commercially goes to feed live stock. But that is an understatement. Over 90% of the soy grown goes to feed live stock. When you eat that hamburger, or steak, or pork chop, you are consuming (albeit indirectly) more soy than the average vegan could manage.

If more of this product went directly to feed humans it would ironically decrease the demand for it and be better for the environment.

Ethical debates: Is soy bad for the environment? ♻CW

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
“In the time it takes to read this entire article, an area of Brazil’s Amazon rainforest larger than 200 football fields will have been destroyed, much of it for soybean cultivation, much of which is fed to livestock.”

The article says much of the soy grown commercially goes to feed live stock. But that is an understatement. Over 90% of the soy grown goes to feed live stock. When you eat that hamburger, or steak, or pork chop, you are consuming (albeit indirectly) more soy than the average vegan could manage.

If more of this product went directly to feed humans it would ironically decrease the demand for it and be better for the environment.

Ethical debates: Is soy bad for the environment? ♻CW
In the comments section of the first article it is claimed in Europe about 60-70% of soya is for human consumption. More generally, I'm not saying there is no truth in the article, but on reading some of the comments quite a few say they disagree with her assessment.

And as you say ...(from your linked article)
"When soy is produced solely for human consumption as an alternative protein source to meat, the demand for soy reduces. This is because the farming of animals will slowly reduce. You might think this means the land used for animal farming will simply be swapped for farming soy, but it’s not the case because livestock farming requires much more land. To get the same amount of protein from beef as you would from soy requires 32 times more land. To minimize our environmental impact, it’s clear that reducing our meat intake is one of the leading solutions."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't beat yourself up too much @Eddi.

It's extremely hard (and expensive) in our society to get everything we need from our diet without eating some animal products.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm a hypocrite:

I know that eating meat and animal products is morally wrong

But I do it anyway even though it would be possible for me not to

I know it's wrong but do it anyway

That's the definition of a sin

I am weak-willed

I value my food more than I do the welfare of my fellow sentient beings

I was once vegan for two weeks

But I was on as night out and had a kebab having had plenty of beer

I then relapsed and went back to eating meat

I cannot imagine ever being a vegan

Even though it is the right thing to do

For me the whole meat thing is so ingrained

HOWEVER: I am going to try to cut back on eating meat with a view to eventually transitioning to being mostly vegetarian

Also, I have stopped using cow milk, I now only ever buy Soya milk
I'm very much in the same camp as you, and I react the same way in eating as little meat as possible as my wife is much more the carnivore.