• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Im a copy cat!

Hey,
i saw Mysitc Sang'ha's thread saying that if anyone had any questions about her faith that they should ask her. i think its a great idea and seeing as im one of the only theravada buddhist, if not the only theravada buddhist, ill do the same. so if you have any questions about theravada buddhism ill be happy to answer them the best i can.

Last edited:

bp789

I don't think it's because it's not interesting. Many people don't know that Buddhism has different sects, and they only know of general Buddhism.

I'll start. What are Theravada Buddhists beliefs? How do they differ from other Buddhist groups such as Mahayana or Vajrayana?

the general beliefs are:

Buddha gave us the dhamma which leads to enlightenment
We belive in rebirth
We are more conservative. we havnt added bodhisattas and other beings
We stay just with what Buddha said and havent added much on to it.
We belive that there are two goals in practice, either becoming an Arahant or a Buddha.
We dont belive in Bardo (mahayana, Vajrayana)
We use Samatha and Vipassana to further us in out goal for enlightenment

I see Theravada as the more conservative form of buddhism. Im not saying that Mahayana or Vajrayana are less right or anything. I used to be Vajrayana but moved away and am now just Theravada. the other practices are great in the other vehicles of Buddhism, its just a matter of what you prefer. All three forms will lead to enlightenment, all the fundamentals are there in each form of Buddhism. its just up to you of what you pick.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Theravada, as I understand it, is the most "conservative" school of Buddhism; the closest to the original form of the religion.

bp789

What is a bodhisattva? What does Arahant and Buddha mean and how are they different? What does Bardo mean?

Smoke

Done here.
I find Theravada much more interesting than Vajrayana and most expressions of Mahayana, but it has less of a presence in the U.S., and seems less accessible.

What do you think of the idea that Zen has come full circle back to something fairly close to Theravada?

Ywet War

What is a bodhisattva? What does Arahant and Buddha mean and how are they different? What does Bardo mean?

Buddha is the person,...
who knows Dhamma himself
who can teach Dhamma the others
who has seen his Nirbana.
After his death he will get the absolute liberation from all kinds of suffering (Dukkha).

Arahant is the person,....
who has already studied Dhamma from someone (may be from Buddha).
After his death he will get the absolute liberation from all kinds of suffering (Dukkha).

most of us (Theravada Buddhists) wants to get the absolute liberation from all kinds of suffering (Dukkha) as an Arahant.
most of them (Mahayana Buddhist) wants to be Buddha.

If we want to be an Arahanat, it is possible in this life.
If we want to be a Buddha, we need a very, very..... long cycle of suffering caused by birth, death and rebirth (Saṃsāra).

Ywet War

Buddha is the person,...
who knows Dhamma himself

Pacceka-Buddhais the person,...
who knows Dhamma himself
who cannot teach Dhamma the others

Arahant is the person,....
who has already studied Dhamma from someone (may be from Buddha).

In our Theravada tradition we believe that…
if there is Buddha or remain some teachings of Buddha in the world, next Buddha cannot appear.
if there is Buddha or remain some teachings of Buddha in the world, any Pacceka-Buddha cannot appear.
if there is Buddha or remain some teachings of Buddha in the world, uncountable Arahants will be able to appear.

if there is no Buddha and all of his teachings are lost in the world, one Buddha may appear.
if there is no Buddha and all of his teachings are lost in the world, uncountable Pacceka-Buddhas will be able to appear.
if there is no Buddha and all of his teachings are lost in the world, any Arahant cannot appear.

[FONT=&quot]All of them (Buddha, Pacceka-Buddha and Arahant) are at the highest stage of sainthood.

thank you for reading my post
now i m trying to explain what is
[/FONT]Bodhisattva.

yw.

Ywet War

Bodhisattva is the being, (may be god, human or animal)…
who met with so many Buddhas in his cycle of life(Saṃsāra)
who has already known (by at least one Buddha) when he will become Buddha
who devotes his entire life for the attainment of perfection, and ultimately becomes a fully Enlightened Buddha for the well-being and happiness of the world.

He has not got any level of sainthood yet.
That is why, we (Theravada Buddhists) don’t give any homage to Bodhisattvas.
And we don’t take refuge in Bodhisattvas.

yw.

Ywet War

We believe in existence of Bodhisattvas.
One of them is now god in the heaven of Tusita (1 of 26 heavens).
He is now ready to become The Buddha.
In Theravada tradition there is no female Bodhisattva.
But in Mahayana Bodhisattva may be male or female.

In Theravada tradition a few of lay men made decisions (in front of Buddha Image) themselves to try to become Buddha. But we didn’t accept that, they are Bodhisattvas. They are Just people, who want to be Buddha.

yw.

[FONT=&quot]Theravada Buddhism is "Conservative" if by that we mean closest to the "Original" and sticking to the Tipatakas. But as far as tangible proof goes, there is no evidence that actually connects the Tipatakas to the actual Buddha, and there was no such thing as an "Original" Buddhism. There was what may be considered primal Buddhism which was one of many schools of thought that was born out of India's ancient Age of Enlightenment (circa 500bc).

In essence this "primal Buddhism" was a reactionary school of thought to Hinduism and it was a reconfiguration of the much older memeplex of right hand Shaivism. Every major component of what became known as Buddhism was and can still be found in the much older Shaivism down to the very familiar image of a bikkhu seated in the lotus asana in an orange saffron robe with knotted/dred-locked hair. This image has been found in cave drawings and as statues pre-dating the Buddhism and depicts Shiva as Maha Yogi - the Lord of Meditation.

The Three Jewels of Buddhism, 1) Buddha; 2) Dharma; & 3) Sangha can also be found as memetic components of the much older Shaivism. The conspect of "reincarnation" of course is not unique to any school of Buddhism; neither is the concept of "karma."

Theravada Buddhism is conservative in theory and sutras only. It is altogether very different in Practice. This is one aspect of Therevada Buddhism which an outsider or someone not born in a Southeast Asian culture will find hard to grasp.

To people from the West a "religion" to them brings up ideas of a holy book, a religious teacher, followers, rules to be followed, and a set of beliefs followers adopts. This "occidental" approach to "religion" makes it so that an Occidental person can go shopping for a religion of their choice, and then pick and choose what teachings and doctrines to adopt. Such an approach to "religion" also puts the "religion" in jeopardy of validation when the religious leader's existence or the religious teachings are questioned.

For someone like me who was born and raised in Theravada Buddhism (the Khmer & Thai variety) our Buddhism has nothing really to do with what things I have mentions that preoccupies a Western mind. I had a direct great grandfather who was the "Samdach Preah Sangh" of Thailand who past away at the age of 90 something in the late 1990's. I'm not sure how to explain what a Samdach Preah Sangh is in Southern Buddhist culture. The three words means "Holy/Sacred (preah) King (samdach) (Lok)Sangh." A Loksangh is the word for a Monk, Lok meaning "Sir" or "Lord" and Sangh is the dialectical variant of Sangha. Which is "Lobsang" in some Tibetan translations.

Basically the Samdach Preah Sang is to Thailand's Theravada Buddhism what the Dalai Lama is to Tibetan Buddhism; generally speaking, because we all know there are many Sangha with different traditions. Or my mom says he's "like the pope of sasna Preahput Theravada." I'm not sure if the Samdach Preah Sang the spiritual leader of all of Theravada Buddhism or not. If you ever go to a Thai restaurant (in California at least) you'll see an altar with a Buddha they offer food and incense to. This altar usually has a picture of the King of Thailand and a picture of a very old wrinkly Monk. That very old wrinkly monk was the Samdach Preah Sang.

I never saw any kind of "Buddhist Bible." We never went to the Wat (temple) every week to be taught any lessons. I have a ton of grand fathers (great uncles) and uncles who arre monks, and the only thing that comes close to religious teachings are the 5 rules which you uphold. That's called "Gan Dharm" in Khmer (pronounced "Gan Tore") which means to Hold the Law. I can't remember the five Dharms in order :) but they go something like: 1) Don't Kill People; 2) Don't Steal ****; 3) Don't Lie; 4) Don't be a wino; and 5) Don't be a ****. They didn't say it like that exactly, but that's what they meant.

The only time I ever heard monks chanting the Sutras was at the Wat before we fed them, at wedding ceremonies, at social gatherings, and at funerals. The chantings were all in Pali so I (and they just went on and on for hours) and I don't understand a word they are saying. In fact its an "inside joke" for everybody I know who was born and raised in Theravada Buddhism to laugh and crack jokes asking if somebody died or if we hear that very familiar monotonous droning of monks :) Or as we say it, "did somebody go to Srok Barang (France)?"

To me my Buddhism was and is or are temples, robed monks, social gatherings, weddings, family funerals, naming of new borns, my Buddhism is in how I live my life. When I say that I mean how my relationships are between everybody I know and vise versa. Our Buddhism is in the relationships. That of mother and daughter. Grandmother and grandchildren. Grandfather and clan. About the new relationships when one of us gets married. About passing relationships with those we once knew who have past on. Our Buddhism is in what we do for each other, the devotion and compassion between family, relatives, and others of our Culture. Our Buddhism is embedded in the language we speak, or in the dialect or register we speak. Where every other word defines such relationships, bonds, and loyalties. Where every other word infers and implies and causes us to understand such concepts as compassion, relief, empathy.

So in this way, when you are born and raised a Theravada Buddhist, or more accurately, in a Theravada Buddhist Culture, there is no difference between the "Buddhism," the language, the Way of Life, the Culture, the People, and the Family. It's all just an amorphous living whole to which you are a living part of.

In this way such things that would plague an outsider like the question of whether the Buddha was real or not, or if he indeed did dictate the Tipatakas is very irrelevant . These things makes no impact or difference because with or without the Buddha, Our Buddhism is already a living culture, as it has been for 2500 numinous years.

Being a living part of a living Theravada Buddhist Culture and Way of Life, someone like me has no choice or option to convert, revert, or divert to or from some "Buddhism" because that Buddhism is your culture, your parents, and the people you know. There is no need to question and debate some "Buddhism" because there is only Culture and a way of life. One can question and debate the philosophical meme of "Compassion as a means to reduce suffering," but how can I question or debate about the validity, truth, and ramifications of my mother and grandmothers loving me and providing for me to keep me happy, and my reciprocation of such Compassion, Love, and Devotion?

Besides this there are other Practices in the living Theravada Buddhist Culture that is not found written in the Sutras, because the Theravada Buddhism of the 100 million adherents is a hodge-podge of very old indigenous and ancestral things.

There is something we practice which is what Westerners would label as "ancestor worship." We usually have a home altar with a Buddha statue and a picture of a direct relative who has passed on such as your parents or something. We burn 3 sticks of sandalwood incense (always 3 in Theravada Culture), and we offer drinks and food and fruits to those ancestors (always in pairs, meaning two cups of coffee, two bananas, two packs of cigarettes if your grandpa smoked, and so on).

This is because of a much older belief that the spirits of your ancestors lingers to care for you... as opposed to the belief that spirits reincarnate. To explain this very different incompatible belief of what happened to us when we die, we are commonly (not via the Sutras) taught that each person has at least two spirits, one that lingers to take care of their living relatives, and one that goes to become a new person.

(Part One)...[/FONT]

(Part 2)...

[FONT=&quot]In our Theravada Buddhism Culture (as opposed to what was written) you Mother is above the Buddha, because the Buddha was only a man and teacher, but your Mother gave you life. So in our Theravada Buddhism, even thoe we may do things that incurs "bad karma," our own Mothers can wash that bad karma away by blessing you. So usually every year those of us who are born and raised Theravada Buddhists get to see a special ceremony held for your elderly parents or grandparents at home or at the temple when monks chant things for 4 hours, then the children and grandchildren wash their parents/grandparents feet and ask them to bless us and wash our bad karma.

In our Theravada Buddhism there is more to becoming a Buddhist monk that wearing orange sheets, being bald, and learning long boring chants. Besides learning the chants from the Sutras, our monks (I think this only goes for the Theravada Buddhism of Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos) learn things that the Westerner would label and call "magic," or as we call it "Sil" which is an umbrella term for "Muan," "Yant," and "Sot-Pali."

Muan is the dialectical variant of Mantra. The last -tra in Sanskrit words are usually dropped in Khmer and Thai. Muan is also called "Muan-akom." Muan is when the monk learns to do these magical chants that do magical things. There are two kinds of Muanakom the good kind which monks learn, and the bad kind which would be like "black magic," which a monk is forbidden to learn and use. You learn both kinds of Muan from a Kru (Guru). A Kru usually is not a mortal person. It's a spirit you learn to talk with who teaches you these things.

There is a Muan for everything from helping your business prosper to healing sickness, to making girls fall in love with you, to Muans that keep you out of jail, Muans that help you win court cases... and if you know the bad kind you can curse and kill people, make them go crazy, and materialize nails, knives, and snakes in people's stomachs... (so they say).

Yant is the dialectical variant of Yantra. It's actually pronounced "Yon" which rhymes with "John." Yants are magiccal drawings. Things some systems of Occidental magic would call "sigils." Most of the time Yants are drawn by monks who have the power to breath "power" into them (otherwise they'd be just empty drawings). They are either drawn on white or orange cloth or paper to they are tattooed on your skin, like the one Angelina Jolie has, which is a Khmer magical Yant.

"Sot-Pali" literally means to Chant in Pali. The word "Sot" is the dialectical variant of the familiar word "Sutra" with the last -ra dropped. Sutra/Sot means a stanza of a chant. Each Pali stanza in the Tipatakas have a magical purpose and there are some Pali stanzas not in the Tipatakas that are used also. Each chant when done in the original Pali language in certain ways does magical things. Such as if you are looking for a Kru to teach youu this stuff, there is a set of magical chants in Pali you have to Sot and there are certain rituals you have to perform to call these spirits into you.

Sot-Pali ccan be used to do wird things like make you bullet proof, help you stay alive during wars, make you invisible, make you flame retardant even. My grandmother tells me stories of how her grandfather (the Samdach Preah Sang) when he was alive as a mortal he could stick his hand in boiling water and not get burned, and bite on white hot metal to leave teeth imprint on the metal without charring his teeth.

Then there are these weird things we got from the Chinese Buddhists (as they practice it, as opposed to as what is written). We go to Buddhist temples every so often to burn things called "Hell Money." If your Chinese, or have Chinese blood grandparents, then you'll know what I'm talking about. It's weird. Hell Money is just fake paper money you burn as offering for your ancestors in Hell I guess? When you burn Hell Money, you also offer your ancestors real clothes, and things like cans of coffee, beer, liquor, cigarettes (thing they once liked). This is because I guess people in hell need money to buy ****? The old people tell us to do it, so we do it. I guess the more Hell Money you have to burn, the better off your unfortunate hell bound ancestors are. You buy Hell Money at any China Town. There's an inside joke that is funny to us only that goes, "You know you're a Chinese Buddhist when you have money to burn for dead people."

So what have we learned here? We learned that there are two different kinds of Theravada Buddhisms (and most likely any kind of Oriental "religion"). The first kind is the crap a Western academician studies and writes about as an outsider. He'll jot down the name of the religious teacher, make a list of religious beliefs, and religious rites, and translate Sutras into English for his Occidental people to learn about. This type exists in "theory" and "writing" only. This type can be debated, argued, and philosophically attacked by other religions or religious leaders in the west.

The other kind of Theravada Buddhism is the living kind which is intimately connected to the life, family, society, language, customs, traditions, blood, of a Thai, Khmer, or Lao person.

As you can see, the two are very different from each other. One exists only in the writings of men and academics. The other exists as a living part of Southeast Asia and its peoples. Most often what is written is not even known or understood to be "Buddhism" by those who are born and raised in a living tradition and culture.

I tried to share the difference between the writings of men and the living Way of Life of a people because most Westerners are alien to such a concept. The only religion they are familiar emotionally and phychologically with is Christianity, which is practiced in Church as it is written in the Bible. So in such a case, it would be easy for a Westerner to question the Bible and Jesus, and to reject the religion of Christianity and look for a new one.

In my culture, you can't pick and choose your religion, because the concept of "religion" doesn't even exist. There are no words in our language for a "religion." Dharma means Law which is used to not only refer to Buddhism, but to Hinduism as well. In Thai and Khmer, and I think Loas, Buddhism is called "Preahput Sasna." Preahput means the Sacred Buddha, and the word "Sasna" means "Wisdom," but the root word in Sasna is "Sas" which means a Race, Tribe, or People, so the word Sasna ends up meaning the Wisdom of a People/race. There is no word for "religion." So because our words we use influences how we interpret and see reality. To a mind born and raise without the conceptual understanding of what a religion is, do not see or define their Buddhism as a "religion."

You can't convert too Theravada Buddhism. It doesn't make you a Buddhist to pick and choose philosophical tidbits which sound nice to you. One lives Buddhism, and that Way of Life begins not inside you or in any scriptures. It begins with how you live for those around you... your family, clan, tribe, people.

The essential basic of any Buddhism is the cessation of Dukkha (suffering). That cessation begins not in what you have read, or what you belief to be true; not on any conviction or opinions, debates, or arguments. It begins with learned to control your own mind, emotions, and actions first. And secondly the compassion, service, honor, and devotion you give and offer to your family, blood relations, and friends. Thirdly this living Ethos and Culture of Buddhism (of whatever kind) moves out like ripples from those relatives and friends, to their family and friends.

I can't speak for all kind of Buddhism. I only know the Buddhism I was born and raised in which I know is very very different than what is presented as "Theravada Buddhism" on Wikipedia. [/FONT]