• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If your health insurance did not cover contraception, would you still have access to birth control?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Insurance should be for an unplanned event. I don't go to my car insurance provider for money to buy oil changes or gasoline.

Birth control is for recreational sex. Should the health insurance plan pay for your dinner and movie too?

i think the bigger picture here is...
can our society afford unplanned babies?
babies that will mostly become obese for one example.
i think our future looks pretty dim with the type 2 diabetes epidemic as it WILL bankrupt our country all because of the fast food nation we live in...and why do we have fast food? because moms and dads are working 2 jobs to support their 5 kids and have no time to cook a well balanced meal

this is what happens when you want your cake and eat it too

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
i think the bigger picture here is...
can our society afford unplanned babies?
babies that will mostly become obese for one example.
i think our future looks pretty dim with the type 2 diabetes epidemic as it WILL bankrupt our country all because of the fast food nation we live in...and why do we have fast food? because moms and dads are working 2 jobs to support their 5 kids and have no time to cook a well balanced meal

this is what happens when you want your cake and eat it too
If I agree with you here is your head going to explode or will you accuse me of some hidden agenda?
Otherwise you actually have a point.
:D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why wouldn't you want to have it covered? If you do cover birth control, you reduce the population which reduces a potential future increase in the demands for welfare.

The whole concept of insurance is to pay for things you would not be able to provide yourself at a moments notice.
Insurance is for maintenance just as much as repairs. Things like cancer and blood tests are often covered, even though they are not an emergency. But rather it is to help prevent the emergency from happening. It is actually in the interest of the government and society as a whole for birth control to be covered, as over population has it's own unique problems that range from food, resources, and sanitation and disease control.

You need an operation that you cannot afford. Honestly, I have never heard of anyone losing their home because they have to go to the dentist.
Ever know people who go without needed dental care because they can't afford it? Which is also costly to tax payers because oral health is strongly related to cardiovascular health. But there are alot of people walking around with teeth that need to be pulled, but because it's expensive they go without, or hope for enough on their tax return to be able to afford it.

Yes, you can afford that yourself. I don't have a dental plan.
I can afford a basic cleaning once a year, but nothing more than that. And even just a cleaning is, for many people, a day or two's worth of wages.

The idea that people are entitled to free birth control courtesy of the tax payers is ridiculous. The liberals are phrasing this as if conservatives want to deny women access to contraceptives. Say what??
Would you rather pay taxes for birth control, or have more being paid out in medicaid, WIC, TANF, and food stamps? Covered birth control, regardless of your views, actually saves money rather than costing.

I don't see why you have such a problem with this. I mean, every group health insurance plan I've had (and I'm talking about supplementary coverage, not our public health plan) has covered massage. If I feel kinda sore after working out - something I do entirely recreationally - I can get a massage for free. Heck - I can get a free massage for no particular reason at all.
My insurance will cover a chiropractor, but it will not cover the meniscus transplant I need in my knee. And just this year (until the end of September) I now have dental and vision. Which I plan on getting an extra pair of glasses but it is frustrating knowing I can go to a chiropractor but a surgery that I need they won't cover.