• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If There is Only One God, Then How Do We Know There is Only One God?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Which creed is right?
You seem to have already decided that they are all wrong.
My point is that even if Almighty God was 'plural' (of many parts), His (their) authority would still be supreme. If these parts had different opinions, it would make no sense

There isnt many parts of one creator. Thats still keeping monotheism in there.

It is more logical to have more than one god. Each are seperate entities. They could each be creators. They can each be supreme. Each god has different charateristics and makes life unique as we would mirror the many characteristics each god has.

Not one god in parts. More than one separate entites.

I believe all monotheist religions are false. I dont have a abrahamic mindset to call other peoples religions false without good reason such as clarification of my position.

Im explaining this from a logical (objective) perspective not from my beliefs.

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

It is more logical to have more than one god. Each are seperate entities. They could each be creators. They can each be supreme. Each god has different charateristics and makes life unique as we would mirror the many characteristics each god has.
Yes, I know what you mean .. god of the sky .. god of the rain .. god of the sun..

It's not logical to me .. I see the universe as one entity
I see no evidence of multiple gods, other than that which mankind creates. Not many religions claim to be Divinely inspired .. only a few. The rest are more or less cultural beliefs/practices

'god' does not necessarily imply divinity

Atheists accuse the Bible/Quran of being fabricated by mankind, but that's all it is .. an accusation.

Last edited:

Haneefa

Who is it Who heeds the prayers of the distressed when he calls out to Him and Who removes his affliction? And who is it Who makes you vicegerents of the earth? Is there any god associated with Allah (in this task)? How little do you reflect!
Who is it Who guides you through the darkness on land and sea? And Who sends winds as heralds of good tidings ahead of His Mercy? Is there any god associated with Allah (in this task)? Exalted be Allah above whatever they associate with Him in His Divinity!
Who is it Who creates in the first instance and then repeats it? Who is it Who provides you with sustenance from the heavens and the earth? Is there any god associated with Allah (in these tasks)? Say: "Bring forth your evidence, if you are truthful."
Say: "None in the heavens or on the earth has knowledge of the Unseen save Allah. They do not know when they will be raised to life."
Nay, but they have lost their knowledge of the Hereafter. They are steeped in doubt and uncertainty about it: rather they are blind to it. Quran (27 : 62-66)
Do not grieve over them, and do not be distressed by what they contrive . Quran (27:70)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, I know what you mean .. god of the sky .. god of the rain .. god of the sun..

It's not logical to me .. I see the universe as one entity
I see no evidence of multiple gods, other than that which mankind creates. Not many religions claim to be Divinely inspired .. only a few. The rest are more or less cultural beliefs/practices

'god' does not necessarily imply divinity

Atheists accuse the Bible/Quran of being fabricated by mankind, but that's all it is .. an accusation.

I actually see the cultural religions more divine than mainstream. Outside of christian and muslim influence on various religions that should be left respected in their own right, I find that community is more divine than individual worship. That and cultures work together. If it werent for main stream religions imposing their beliefs, theyd probably have more respect for outsiders. Being a part of a mainstream religion makes one more person a minority.

As for multiple gods, Id probably be Hindu if I were theist. However, I dont see god as personal as being unknown and personal is a contradiction. So any cultural faith that lets ancestors and spirits be intermediaries between me and would make more sense.

It balls down to god is life. Ive not found any theist that opposed the statement. I kinda wish I could because I know christianity just every other theist religion I only see as a reflection of its people. Some jews here are rude so I cant figure if their beliefs are a reflection of them. America has bad relations with muslims, so without knowing their belief it just sounds like bias and stereotypes or opinions that arent supported by the persons own words rather than scripture of any sort.

godnotgod

Thou art That
If there is only one god, then on what grounds, if any, can it be claimed there is only one god?

On the grounds that the One God has many faces. You and I are those faces, looking for God, while pretending not to be God.

BONUS QUESTION: Are there any good arguments for the existence of multiple gods? If so, what are they?

That they are the myriad expressions of the One God, carrying out It's various functions in the Cosmic Game of Hide and Seek. It is God looking for God to return to the One God.

'The One in the Many;
the Many in the One'

Unknown Source

'From The One came The Two;
from The Two came The Three;
and from the Three came
The Ten Thousand Things'

Chinese Taoism

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
If there is only one god, then on what grounds, if any, can it be claimed there is only one god?

BONUS QUESTION: Are there any good arguments for the existence of multiple gods? If so, what are they?

If indeed all things are connected, then the argument would be that there can only be one thing connecting everything.

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists

Isaiah 45:5

I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

For a Christian this is all we require to be able to authoritatively state that their is only one God of this universe that we must worship. For atheists, it is a meaningless concept as they do not recognise the existence of any kind of deity.

Science provides a very good argument for multiple Gods. They call it String Theory, among many theories. The universe we live in may not be the only one out there. In fact, our universe could be just one of an infinite number of universes making up a "meta-universe."

Though the concept may stretch credulity, there's good physics behind it. And there's not just one way to get to a multiverse - numerous physics theories independently point to such a conclusion. In fact, some experts think the existence of hidden universes is more likely than not.

There is no reason why each of the universes do not have a God, either for each one, or groups of universes. Whether you are theist or atheist the postulations is acceptable to both mores, I would say, that is a pretty good argument for the existence of many Gods, however, for us, we have but one God to worship.

Kartari

Hi Sunstone,

Even if it were true, how would we even know that one god exists? Our universe is evidently quite consistent with a godless reality. More to what I think you're driving at though, indeed if one particular god exists and is playing hide and seek with us, why wouldn't other gods do likewise?

Not that I'm aware of.

HekaMa'atRa

The Divine is One and Many. If you believe your divine being has a personality and creativity, it shouldn't be hard for you to believe in multiple divine beings.

Scientifically, much of what we know of in the universe is a plurality and multiplicity - cells, atoms, elements, suns, galaxies, universes, and even parallel universes. From these many components, they make up a unit but still retain their individuality. They are many and one at the same time.

In the end, trying to wrap the human mind around the Divine is always going to be a foolish task.

Ana.J

You know, it depends on your definition of god. If there are multiple gods then who created them? I can suppose that there was one supreme being that was the beginning of the world as we know it.

Serenity7855

You know, it depends on your definition of god. If there are multiple gods then who created them? I can suppose that there was one supreme being that was the beginning of the world as we know it.

We live in a world where everything seems to have a beginning and an end, therefore, we tend to believe the same applies to God, however, God was never created, He has always been. There is only but one thing in our world that has the same characteristics as God, energy, which can neither be created or destroyed. It has always exist. However, the spanner in the works that makes our concept of our tempory existence untenable is that we are all made from eternal energy, demonstrating to us that eternity is very much a viable concept and that we are children of the universe being eternal beings who have always existed. That is not religion, that is science.

muhammad_isa

On the contrary, there is tumultuous degrees of evidence, you just have to know where to look without having bigoted spectacles on.
That's it .. people ask for "scientific evidence" fully knowing that God doesn't "physically show Himself"

It's possible for a person who 'has no need for a god' just to hide behind that. So called 'weak evidence' might be weak, but when it comes in many forms becomes more compelling to those who are sincere. It doesn't mean that we know everything about God, but that's not surprising .. we can only observe what we were designed to observe ie. this physical world and its manisfestations

..so its down to theology in much, which is not an exact science .. but close enough to know that everything we do is recorded and God is the Most Just :)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That's it .. people ask for "scientific evidence" fully knowing that God doesn't "physically show Himself"

Obviously. It is like ESP, it exists only if you believe it.

It's possible for a person who 'has no need for a god' just to hide behind that. So called 'weak evidence' might be weak, but when it comes in many forms becomes more compelling to those who are sincere. It doesn't mean that we know everything about God, but that's not surprising .. we can only observe what we were designed to observe ie. this physical world and its manisfestations

i agree with the "many forms" concept. I am sure that when believers see different forms of God, them being Him looking like an elephant, having a son with a normal nose, or having a prophet cab service in form of winged horses, etc. that is very compelling indeed.

..so its down to theology in much, which is not an exact science .. but close enough to know that everything we do is recorded and God is the Most Just :)

I also agree that theology is not an exact science. But I am not sure about it being not exact. The same applies for things like leprechaunalogy. Of course.

Ciao

- viole

muhammad_isa

i agree with the "many forms" concept. I am sure that when believers see different forms of God
Yes, very amusing .. I think you well know that I was referring to forms of evidence other than physical scientific evidence.

But yes .. you claim that mankind is smart enough to make it all up .. and then keep adding bits & pieces to it as time goes along.

Many of us have reached a different conclusion, not unreasonably I might add.

Serenity7855

I
Esp? Are you sure?

Ciao

- viole
I think that there is more to Esp then what we think. We communicate here using sound that is physically produced, without considering the existence of alternative forms of communication. Why shouldn't there be other ways in which we can interact with each other.

As for the similtude between Esp and God's existence, Esp is unnecessary in our world, we can speak to each other, however, God is essential in order for morality and civility to thrive, thus reducing the very real suffering that Carnal beings are apt to promote and solicit. I never consider whether God is real or a figment of my imagination. I take it for granted that He is very real on the grounds that His very real figure prints can be seen all around us testifying to us that He exists and is undoubtably real. As for Esp, I think about it quite a lot because it enthralls and intrigues me causing me to consider its existence, however, whether it exists or not is an irrelevance to the meaning of life.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I

I think that there is more to Esp then what we think. We communicate here using sound that is physically produced, without considering the existence of alternative forms of communication. Why shouldn't there be other ways in which we can interact with each other.

Because if there were, we would not need inefficient alternatives that stop working reliably when you are old or you have been to too many metal concerts.

Unless, the designer likes to introduce useless things, of course,

As for the similtude between Esp and God's existence, Esp is unnecessary in our world, we can speak to each other, however, God is essential in order for morality and civility to thrive, thus reducing the very real suffering that Carnal beings are apt to promote and solicit. I never consider whether God is real or a figment of my imagination. I take it for granted that He is very real on the grounds that His very real figure prints can be seen all around us testifying to us that He exists and is undoubtably real. As for Esp, I think about it quite a lot because it enthralls and intrigues me causing me to consider its existence, however, whether it exists or not is an irrelevance to the meaning of life.

When you say God is necessary for morality and civilty to thrive, what you really mean is that BELIEF in God is important for all these things. SO, what you are really trying to prove is the importance of the existence of the belief, not the subject of the belief, at best.

I come from a country (Sweden) where the only believers in God are Muslims and a few vestigial representants of Lutheranism. True is, apart from my past self, I do not know any Swede who believe in Jesus. Do you think that this entails that we are immoral and uncivilized, today?

Ciao

- viole