• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If "the West" is nice, 500 mil. Islamists won't push for Sharia??

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
My summary of a key point from a recent interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali:

Hirsi Ali: Islamic Terrorists 'Don't Go to Liberals and Say Thank You' for Being PC

Let's forget about terrorism for this thread. There are roughly 500 million Muslims in the world who believe that we should all be ruled by Sharia.

I don't think our current interactions with Muslims are likely to change this crucial fact. I think that our leaders are not honest about this situation, and that we do everyone a disservice when we pretend that if we're nice, Muslims will integrate with western values.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'm sick of all these constant distractions taking our attention off of the only true enemy: straight, white males. Let's try to stop getting sidetracked by these other non-issues.

meghanwaterlillies

I'm sick of all these constant distractions taking our attention off of the only true enemy: straight, white males. Let's try to stop getting sidetracked by these other non-issues.
Yupe mean but true that's where they'd love to through culture shifts. I also disagree with it. For the first half of that obamacare really.

icehorse

Premium Member
So what are you proposing? Blow them away? What?

How very thoughtful of you - argh! Of course not - doh!

If we make an honest assessment of the situation - which so far most of us have not - we can pursue any number of compassionate solutions. For example, provide support in place as opposed to mass immigration. Provide better education stressing universal human rights. And so on.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Hirsi Ali: Islamic Terrorists 'Don't Go to Liberals and Say Thank You' for Being PC

Let's forget about terrorism for this thread. There are roughly 500 million Muslims in the world who believe that we should all be ruled by Sharia.

I don't think our current interactions with Muslims are likely to change this crucial fact. I think that our leaders are not honest about this situation, and that we do everyone a disservice when we pretend that if we're nice, Muslims will integrate with western values.

I generally agree with a lot of what Ayaan Hirsi Ali says, but this struck me as pretty poorly reasoned:

From the article said:
Ali said that President Trump's Youngstown, Ohio campaign speech first showed her that he took the terror threat seriously, and selectively praised his travel ban.

She said the ban was a good idea but was "clumsily" enacted.

"It's incredibly difficult to vet people coming from [those countries]," she said, maintaining that he should have consulted more lawyers and experts to root out any inefficiencies in the document.

She and other atheists who have escaped from Muslim-majority countries would be inconsistent to support denial of asylum to Muslim refugees who are facing abuse. I'm sure she realizes that she might be dead by now if it hadn't been for the fact that she could escape from Islamic extremism and be accepted into another country. Why should Muslims be banned from traveling even though many of them need to escape just as much as atheists in Muslim countries do?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Pew has done MANY, extensive, world-wide polls, here's one:

Muslims and Islam: Key findings in the U.S. and around the world
But, it doesn't seem surprising or troubling at all. First, there is no indication or claim that 500 million Muslims think that Sharia Law should be the law of the land in their country (which is different than the whole world being ruled by it).

In majority muslim countries, not surprisingly, a majority of muslims want to make sharia law official. But, in more diverse countries, the feeling is not the same. The vast majority of muslims there DO NOT want Sharia to become the law of the land.

So, it seems pretty reasonable to me. Certainly, nowhere in any of these articles does it even suggest that muslims think that the entire world should be governed by Islamic law.

"In other areas, however, there is less unity. For instance, a Pew Research Center survey of Muslims in 39 countries asked Muslims whether they want sharia law, a legal code based on the Quran and other Islamic scripture, to be the official law of the land in their country. Responses on this question vary widely. Nearly all Muslims in Afghanistan (99%) and most in Iraq (91%) and Pakistan (84%) support sharia law as official law. But in some other countries, especially in Eastern Europe and Central Asia – including Turkey (12%), Kazakhstan (10%) and Azerbaijan (8%) – relatively few favor the implementation of sharia law."

"Attitudes toward Islamic law vary significantly by region. Support for making sharia the law of the land is highest in South Asia (median of 84%). Medians of at least six-in-ten Muslims in sub-Saharan Africa (64%), the Middle East-North Africa region (74%) and Southeast Asia (77%) also favor enshrining sharia as official law. But in two regions, far fewer Muslims say Islamic law should be endorsed by their governments: Southern and Eastern Europe (18%) and Central Asia (12%)."

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

"There are roughly 500 million Muslims "

You can read the minds of 500 million people?!?!?!?!

Hey everyone I found God!!!

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
How very thoughtful of you - argh! Of course not - doh!

If we make an honest assessment of the situation - which so far most of us have not - we can pursue any number of compassionate solutions. For example, provide support in place as opposed to mass immigration. Provide better education stressing universal human rights. And so on.

"Provide better education stressing universal human rights. "

You mean force our views on them?

Why don't we just do what we have done in the past, and destabilize their government then try to force our laws on them.

icehorse

Premium Member
"Provide better education stressing universal human rights. "

You mean force our views on them?

Why don't we just do what we have done in the past, and destabilize their government then try to force our laws on them.

Well of course if you don't stand for universal human rights then we're not going to agree on much.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The "support for sharia" table about 2/3 of the way down. Understand: sharia is a supremacist, conquest driven ideology.

Learn how to read . . . . .

In other areas, however, there is less unity. For instance, a Pew Research Center survey of Muslims in 39 countries asked Muslims whether they want sharia law, a legal code based on the Quran and other Islamic scripture, to be the official law of the land in their country.